British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-08-09, 08:34 AM

Default Dual Colour Use Anodised Aluminium Cap Badges

Hi Guys,

I'm currently trolling through 15 years of List of Changes documents in regard to anodised aluminium cap badges only and deriving sealed pattern information from them which is reconciling approx. 90% of the time with the actual cards. This is of course excellent news as it means that the sealed pattern information from multiple sources is the same giving faith to the derived sealed pattern information procedure being correct.

Those units that I have issues with I will later contact the owners of the pattern cards and confirm details.

What I need to keep an eye out for is the use of the same badge but with different CB number and with a different colour and hence a different pattern card. This is very important so as to identify any that properly have the same body but different colours against those many manufacturing errors that continue to turn up as 'rare' variations.

Therefore, can you all list the dual colour badges that you have such as my 'favourite' being the Intelligence Corp in both gold and silver.

I STRONGLY suspect that there are NONE and further suspect that all are manufacturer error but if you have a pair of badges of the same design but different colour and are willing to share this information please post it here.

If you would prefer to contact me off-forum at at my usual gmail address for hagwalther then please do so.

All posts/emails will be answered.

Dual use so far - looks like I was wrong in my original statement in a few cases.

14/20 Hussars - Gold and black/gold. - Yes, authorised for issue items but need to confirm with CCN and COSA documents for CB numbers.

Army Apprentice School - Gold and silver. Although silver was used there is no official reference to it in the AAS school in the National Archives nor in List of Changes. Not in Imperial War Museum collection from 1970's.

Berkshire Yeomanry in gold and Royal Berkshire Territorials in silver used the same badge in different colours as a different unit badge.

Gloucestershire Regiment - Gold and Silver - Also silver for Royal Regiment of Gloucestershire and Hampshire (not issued).

Gordon School - Silver and gold - This will be difficult to authenticate as CCF school badge design were not controlled by any military authorities although permission (easily granted) was required before any badge was worn. Also, School CCF badges do not have a CB number allocated to them (so it seems).

Gurkha Military Police - Silver and gold. No reference to silver in related file in National Archives nor in Imperial War Museum collection from 1970's.

Intelligence Corps - Silver and gold - Not found in LoC or in Imperial War Museum collection from 1970's.

Light Dragoons - Gold/Silver and Gold/Silver/Blue - Gold/Silver seemed to be an early issue.

Queen's University Belfast - Silver and gold. Yes, these are in LoC with different CB numbers - silver for pipers.

Royal Army Medical Corp - Gold and silver snake - These are noted in the RAMC file in National Archives and needs more investigation re: CB numbers.

Ulster Defence Regiment/Royal Irish Regiment - Gold for UDR and Silver for RIR.

Regards

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 30-08-09 at 08:23 PM.
Old 26-08-09, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Chris,

The only dual colour badge that I can think of is the 14/20th hussars. There does exist an all-gold one and a black and gold one. This was due to the regt changing the design in the 1970s and I do not believe that the 2 were worn at the same time.

Alan
Old 26-08-09, 02:29 PM

Gurkha Military Police in all gold and all silver as seen in Peter TAYLORS book on anodised badges. Also the generic crown badge is found in all gold and all silver.
regards Jerry.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)

Last edited by engr9266; 26-08-09 at 05:21 PM.
Old 26-08-09, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
Gurkha Military Police in all gold and all silver as seen in Peter TAYLORS book on anodised badges. Also the generic crown badge is found in all gold and all silver.
regards Jerry.
I was going to mention that one Jerry,i was led to believe that the silver was for Sgts and above.
Queens Uni Belfast
Gordon School
AAS
These appear in gold and silver,the silver version being the pipers badge.
Thats all i can think of,i think that the rest are errors as Chris says.
I did forget to add RSDG in all silver as an error.
Old 26-08-09, 07:58 PM

Thanks Guys!!!

I'll collate these into post one and keep an eye out - I've thought of a few myself and will post comment on these as I go on.

Regards

Chris
Old 26-08-09, 09:44 PM

Chris

I've got:-

Berkshire Yeomanry - Gold badge & Silver Badge
Royal Irish Rangers - All Gold & All Silver (probably manufacturer's error)

Do Gloucestershire Regiment back badges count?

Paddy
Old 27-08-09, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

The Berks Yeo were again not worn at the same time. The all gold one was pre amalgamation in 1960 with the Westminster Dragoons and the all silver one was for the Berks Terrs (which the Yeo formed a part of) in 1968-9.

Alan
Old 27-08-09, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Chris

I've got:-

Berkshire Yeomanry - Gold badge & Silver Badge
Royal Irish Rangers - All Gold & All Silver (probably manufacturer's error)

Do Gloucestershire Regiment back badges count?

Paddy
Thanks Paddy,

Don't know about Berkshire Yeomanry. Alan - is one Yeomanry and the other Royal Berkshire Territorials?

Royal Irish Rangers - would say are error as the badge is supposed to be gold and silver.

Have included Gloucestershire Regt. back badges but what is the reason for the two different colours?

Regards

Chris
Old 27-08-09, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The Berks Yeo were again not worn at the same time. The all gold one was pre amalgamation in 1960 with the Westminster Dragoons and the all silver one was for the Berks Terrs (which the Yeo formed a part of) in 1968-9.

Alan
Thanks Alan,

So the badge does exist in two different colours?

Regards

Chris
Old 27-08-09, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Yes they come in both gold for the Berks Yeo and the later Berks TA ones in silver. The Berks TA ones were only worn for a year or so and came with a red oval backing.

Alan
Old 27-08-09, 07:21 AM

Thanks Alan,

Have update post #1.

Regards

Chris
Old 27-08-09, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Light Dragoons - Gold/Silver and Gold/Silver/Blue - Gold/Silver seemed to be an early issue.
The Light Dragoons wore the gold and silver when they came into existance,then changed to the blue enamelled centre after a few years.I think that the original officers bullion badge had the blue centre from inseption.
Old 27-08-09, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
The Light Dragoons wore the gold and silver when they came into existance,then changed to the blue enamelled centre after a few years.I think that the original officers bullion badge had the blue centre from inseption.
Thanks Mike!!!

Regards

Chris
Old 27-08-09, 09:35 PM

In my time in the Intelligence Corps (1970 - 2001) I am pretty sure that there was no official issue of a silver finish anodised soldier's cap badge so I suspect a manufacturers variation. See my album for other Intelligence Corps Badges. Officers and Warrant Officers Class 1 wore silver plated full size badges in the No 1 Dress and SD Cap until the mid 70s when the cypress green beret became the only headress. Officers then wore a collar badge later replaced by an embroidered badge.
Old 27-08-09, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
In my time in the Intelligence Corps (1970 - 2001) I am pretty sure that there was no official issue of a silver finish anodised soldier's cap badge so I suspect a manufacturers variation. See my album for other Intelligence Corps Badges. Officers and Warrant Officers Class 1 wore silver plated full size badges in the No 1 Dress and SD Cap until the mid 70s when the cypress green beret became the only headress. Officers then wore a collar badge later replaced by an embroidered badge.
Hi There,

Well this is quite important. There is no silver badge in the IWM collection from the 1970's which implies that there was not one immediately before this date and it looks like there was not one after it as noted by a serving member of the corp at the time. I must admit that although I know of one in existance I have to believe that it is a manufacturers error.

The pattern for the St. Edward Crown was sealed on the 10th June 1955 so I suppose that there is a change that a new pattern was made in silver during the 15 years to 1970 but somehow I doubt it.

Many Thanks for helping out.

Regards

Chris