British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-06-08, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
There have been changes to both the formula for 'anodised' and in the designs of badges.
Minutes of 207th Meeting of Army Dress Commitee on 24/11/71 record that AA badges were displayed to the ADC which had 1% Magnesium added. Tests were ongoing to establish if these badges were stronger than current AA badges. I haven't found a result.

Of the many variations, I have some that are fitted with blade/tang type fittings. I am told (but have no credible evidence) that these were a prototype, but that as they failed to come up to expectations they were given away at one of the last Earl's Court Tattoos.

Scanned are four anodised Hussar cap badges
- 3rd The Kings own Hussars. No maker
- The Queens own Hussars. All silver. JR Gaunt London in small font.
- The Queens own Hussars. Silver & gold anodised. Dowler Birmingham.
- The Queens own Hussars. Silver & gold anodised with tang/blade fittings. No maker.

I don't believe that the silver is an intentional finish, just one which missed the dip. However, another tale told me relates to an all silver Wessex Bde I own. Supposedly the Regimental Police would heat ano badges. This removed the gold dip. Once scrubbed up you have an all silver badge. This they wore as a brassard badge. Again I cannot verify this. Firstly I've never tried out the heating process and secondly because I'm not sure that brassards and Wessex Bde badges have been worn contemporaneously.

Observations please. Steve.

Steve,

The bit about heating the badges is interesting. I picked up a couple of 'all silver' badges last year. Not too pricey, but on closer inspection I suspected they may have been tampered with. I fancied that they may have been treated with acid or something to remove the gold colouring but heating could well be the answer. Be interesting to know exactly how that was done. What appears odd on the two I have, is that whatever has been done to them effects the colouring of the adhesive used to fix the slider to the rear (normally has that metalic grey look, right?). It hasnt damaged this material but it somehow changes its look, so that appears a bit like solder, but it isnt (as discussed in earlier, Peter Taylor explained that this adhesive is something of a by-product from the nuclear industry, so it remains firm, whatever has ben done to it!).

Hmmm . . food for thought.

Bess
Old 21-06-08, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbrits View Post
Hi Gents,
I believe the badges with the blades/tangs were produced by a company called Danbury Mint these bades were never government issue and were purely for the collectors market.These badges could be purchased from the company through magazines and newspapers and a couple of frames thrown in for hanging on your wall.
I guess over the years frames have been split down and single items appear on the market hence why you have come across these items.
As for Steve's all silver Hussars badge - hang on to it,it's was probably and "end or run item" but still a nice variant to have in your a/a collection.Hagwalther may like a pic of it for his staybrite web pages he is producing.
Best Regards.
Colin
Hi Guys,

Always looking for badges not on the web pages as part of the data collection phase of this project.

Regards

Chris
Old 21-06-08, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Steve,

The bit about heating the badges is interesting. I picked up a couple of 'all silver' badges last year. Not too pricey, but on closer inspection I suspected they may have been tampered with. I fancied that they may have been treated with acid or something to remove the gold colouring but heating could well be the answer. Be interesting to know exactly how that was done. What appears odd on the two I have, is that whatever has been done to them effects the colouring of the adhesive used to fix the slider to the rear (normally has that metalic grey look, right?). It hasnt damaged this material but it somehow changes its look, so that appears a bit like solder, but it isnt (as discussed in earlier, Peter Taylor explained that this adhesive is something of a by-product from the nuclear industry, so it remains firm, whatever has ben done to it!).

Hmmm . . food for thought.

Bess
This is all pretty interesting.

I have a few 'scrap' gold anodised - will given them a bit of treatment between physio exercises when I get a moment.

Regards

Chris
Old 04-07-08, 12:05 PM

Default Tang/Blade fittings

The last Danbury mint badges i saw were made from metal not a/a.If i remember rightly they altered their collection after options for change to include the newly formed regiments.
The blade fittings are used on belt buckles etc,i have a few in my collection.
Old 17-12-08, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
The last Danbury mint badges i saw were made from metal not a/a.If i remember rightly they altered their collection after options for change to include the newly formed regiments.

Do we know when the first or even the last, badges by Danbury Mint were created?

Regards

Chris
Old 19-12-08, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I have now been through all the waist belt plates that I have and none of the badges are fixed with blades. Every badge has short lugs (posts, shanks) that are just long enough to go through then secured by a split (cotter) pin.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:29 PM.
Old 13-11-09, 06:37 AM

I know of several AA badges that went for over £600 at Bosleys over the last few years. W Yorks Regt £605 Apr 2006, RASC (KC) £605 Apr 2005, Staffs 5th/6th Bn £605 Apr 2006, Flint & Denbigh Yeo £615 Apr 2006. Perhaps the day of the first four-figure sale of an AA badge can't be far away?
Old 13-11-09, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I know of several AA badges that went for over £600 at Bosleys over the last few years. W Yorks Regt £605 Apr 2006, RASC (KC) £605 Apr 2005, Staffs 5th/6th Bn £605 Apr 2006, Flint & Denbigh Yeo £615 Apr 2006. Perhaps the day of the first four-figure sale of an AA badge can't be far away?
Hi William,

Have sent an email.

Also, there are at least two in your list above that I would not pay 6 quid for let alone 600.

Regards

Chris