British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-02-11, 01:45 PM
Peter J

Default Royal Berkshire - OSD collar?

Dear All,

Can anyone throw some light on the pictured badge, please? Don't currently have my copy Churchill to hand, and would be grateful for any input.

It appears to be an OSD collar (pictured it with a cap badge for scale). One of the things puzzling me is the colour; although not particularly evident from the photos, it is very coppery-looking in the flesh, so if it is an OSD collar, should it be more bronze-looking? The centre picture probably gives the best indication of its actual colour.

Lastly, does the Princess Charlotte os Wales's scroll put a specific date to it?

Rl Bks 1.jpg Rl Bks 2.jpg Rl Bks 3.jpg

With thanks,

PJ
Old 16-02-11, 03:12 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Dear All,

Can anyone throw some light on the pictured badge, please? Don't currently have my copy Churchill to hand, and would be grateful for any input.

It appears to be an OSD collar (pictured it with a cap badge for scale). One of the things puzzling me is the colour; although not particularly evident from the photos, it is very coppery-looking in the flesh, so if it is an OSD collar, should it be more bronze-looking? The centre picture probably gives the best indication of its actual colour.

Lastly, does the Princess Charlotte os Wales's scroll put a specific date to it?

Attachment 36318 Attachment 36319 Attachment 36320

With thanks,

PJ
Peter,
with blade fittings it is more likely to be a headdress badge.. The more common Berks OSDs were fitted to a cord boss, I am not an expert in such badges but at a guess I would say you have a scarce form of OSD headdress badge?

Andy
Old 16-02-11, 03:20 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Peter and Andy,

Sorry to spoil it for you, it's an OSD collar that has had blades fitted ( not by me ) but who-ever did do it, did not clean it properly afterwards or try to bronze wash it.......just my opinion of course.

Dave.

PS, I will add that it may well have been done for a specific reason but the original badge would have been, I'm sure, a collar badge.
Old 16-02-11, 04:35 PM

I've got a couple of OR's cap badges for the Royal Berkshires that have a copperish colour, and to me they look better then some of the yellowish GM ones. To me, the collar in post 1 looks like it has been dug up? I know there were a couple of different R. Berks collars, what period is the one shown? Regards, Paul.
copper berkshire_0001.jpg

copper berkshire_0002.jpg

Last edited by wardog; 16-02-11 at 04:58 PM.
Old 16-02-11, 06:15 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Paul,

How's it going ? Long time no speak ??

The easiest thing for me to do is to show the text etc, from Churchill's book, 4966Ian is one of the members who will sort this out, I only know what I read in books and as we know, most of them are wrong on occasion......

What I do know, is that the blades on the badge featured in the question, have been heated with little attempt afterwards to clean them.

All the best, Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Forum question 013.jpg (54.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Forum question 014.jpg (28.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Forum question 015.jpg (27.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by davec2; 16-02-11 at 07:05 PM.
Old 16-02-11, 06:55 PM
Peter J

Thank you gentlemen for your assistance with this.

Peter
Old 17-02-11, 11:45 PM

Still around Dave. Watching and learning, just not spending! Cheers, Paul.
Old 14-06-21, 09:16 PM

Here is one that I came across...

This one will be listed up for forum members on sale here now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210613_124827.jpg (31.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20210613_124838.jpg (24.9 KB, 29 views)
I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).

Last edited by phaethon; 15-06-21 at 07:13 PM.