British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-06-21, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Would they not have grabbed any number of badges out of their stores and painted them up, irrespective of age or slider markings, both of which would be of no significance to them?

regards
Yes but the Gaunt London badges would not sit in the stores for 30 years!

Makers' vary but in 1992 I was issued a Firmin badge.
Old 11-06-21, 06:10 AM

My Company stores had 1943 shell dressing haversacks the point I gently make is that all things are possible when it comes to the Army and it’s stores and supply system.
Old 11-06-21, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Indeed but I remain of the opinion that your chances of having a 'genuine' Sov pl badge remains much higher if the badge is of the same decade as when the Sov Pl actually wore them!

Unlike shell dressings the use of RMAS cap badges is both constant and predictable so 40 year old badges are not sitting in RMAS stores awaiting issue. Likewise since RAB (resource account budgeting) was introduced in the 1990s, Donnington is no longer holding large stores. For the uninitiated in the ways of MOD accounting, the MOD is charged an annual charge for the stocks they hold by the treasury to prevent them stockpiling.
Old 11-06-21, 07:50 AM

If I may, I would just like to jump in on this one for my own knowledge.
I'd heard of the Platoon, but when did the gold coloured cypher come in to use, and when did the practice stop please?
Many thanks
Chris
Old 11-06-21, 07:54 AM

Like many in the HM forces (and possibly worldwide) people did lose their badges or have them broken or pinched and not always went to the QM stores for a replacement badge but sourced it from other means i.e. begged, borrowed, brought from Military outfitters etc.
I was issued 2 R.E. badges, 1 for best & 1 for work but I did buy a spare just in case from local sources regardless of maker name etc.
engr9266

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 11-06-21, 08:10 AM

Thanks to all for the various comments and the detailed anecdotal information. My previous and only visit to the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst was in 1967 (54 years ago!) as member of the Combined Cadet Force!

The badges were acquired as part of a job lot of anodised badges so I have no provenance. They could have been painted by the previous owner/collector recently!

I have therefore revised the eBay description and consequently lowered the price! See:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194196225389

Tim
Old 11-06-21, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Tim

My original post was not intended as a criticism but to highlight the perils of these Sov Pl badges when they are painted at the Academy rather than made that way. Provenance is everything with these ones.

Alan
Old 11-06-21, 10:21 AM

Landyard is quite correct. When I was at Sandhurst in the late 1970s the Sovereigns Platoon wore the same cap badge as other cadets.
Old 11-06-21, 11:39 AM

There are probably hundreds of these things sloshing around in company/platoon offices at Sandhurst that have been there for years. Alan isn't wrong about the makers era disparity, but Sandhurst doesn't really match the usual regimental norms when it comes to cap badges.

Personally, I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it. Mine came from a surplus store cheapo bin along with a handful of others. So make of that what you will.
Old 11-06-21, 01:38 PM

For completeness, the Sovereign’s Platoon cap badge (but with anachronistic makers mark) and the lanyard with Prince William wearing both in 2006.

H3 - Lanyard. Sovereign's Platoon. Officer Cadets. Royal Military Academy Sandhurst.
NSN 8465-99-975-7429 - Link type. Four ply. Blue/red/yellow. Length 84cm. Diameter/Width 1.2cm. Link 43cm. Loop Knot 41cm.
The blue, red and yellow mix to represent the colours of the three colleges.

Tim
Old 11-06-21, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

I believe that the 3 different lanyards no longer represent colleges as they used to now that Victory College (who wore the yellow one) is not used for the CC.

Blue/red/yellow Sovereign's Pl
Yellow Juniors
Blue Intermediate
Red Seniors
and green for Lucknow platoon - the old Y list.