British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-21, 12:29 PM

Thanks Peter, Never duff mate, just an alternative view!

I really was excited to buy these two and a kind soul has also contacted Ashok on my behalf for his view on the likelihood of finding the other bits. Fascinating new area this. I thought the collection on Bonhams was amazing.
Old 28-03-21, 02:38 PM

There are some amazing things out there. I've just started assisting our Canadian War Museum in researching a collection of 3,000 medlas and groups which were donated. The WWI stuff was probably acquired when single medals cost 2-3 pounds each and groups were 10-15 quid. 'The good old days'.

In fact, decades ago when I had mobney to collect, I got lots of medals and badges to the IA dirt cheap because others didn't know or care what the were. A sterling silver cap badge - 'SVLH' for $5 Cdn [2 pounds] because they seller had never heard of the 'Surma Valley Light Horse', a territorial unit of the Indian Army made up of British tea planters in Assam.

P
Old 30-03-21, 03:19 PM

Just saw this thread myself. I too collect British Indian Army and have always found much pre 22 material to be so scarce as to be in another world.
The badges in question would be among the more difficult to find as they were relatively short lived battalions.
There was a time not so long ago that Indian Army was cheap and had little interest. That has certainly changed.
I have dealt with (when I could afford it!) and exchanged email queries with Ashok on occasion over the years as well.
As an aside, I would like to see this forum elevate Indian badges up to another more visible section instead of being relegated to it's current rather insignificant standing to encourage more participation.

CB