British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-09-14, 03:31 PM

Hi Jo, how are you mate. Don't forget I was only just down the road up to July this year........
Old 09-09-14, 08:39 PM

If Scotland go,does dear Alex think that all the Scots soldiers,sailors and airmen will PVR and join the SDF ? He seems to forget that all servicemen are contracted to the UK government not the Scottish government.Does he honestly think that the MOD will hand him the RRofS and a handful of ships ?

If Scotland does become independent,i can see that a vast majority of Scots wishing to join the services will cross the border and sign on with the British Armed Forces rather than the SDF,similar to Southern Irish men and women that come over the Irish Sea and join our armed forces rather than the Southern Irish forces.
Old 10-09-14, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
If Scotland go,does dear Alex think that all the Scots soldiers,sailors and airmen will PVR and join the SDF ? He seems to forget that all servicemen are contracted to the UK government not the Scottish government.Does he honestly think that the MOD will hand him the RRofS and a handful of ships?
Alas, as with many things in the SNP promised utopia he does. Salmond also imagines that he will be gifted 12 RAF typhoons and every demand he has will be answered with an 'of course Alex'.

Normally i wouldn't touch a political thread with a bargepole but this case is quite unique. Especially on a forum that essentially features British military history from all the peoples of these islands and its Dominions, Empire and Commonwealth.

As with many, many things in the white paper published by the SNP, defence is ill thought out.

September the 19th could possibly be one of the saddest days of my life as the country that i was born into ceases to be. I am a Briton, a member of a family of four, interlinked nations comprising a single whole and i have no voice in this referendum.55 million of our 60 million people have to sit on the sidelines and watch our country potentially dismantled.

A country that neither Napoleon, the Kaiser, or indeed a certain genocidal Austrian ever managed to destroy over the last 300 years. And it is being done by someone of the 'calibre' of Alex Salmond!

The 'No'campaign have run a bad campaign.

The promises of rainbows and unicorns in the SNP white paper should have been forensically picked apart by the three Westminster parties, as it has been in various forums and media outlets. It is all the ammunition they needed. As was the deliberate conflation of the British Parliament becoming the 'English' one in SNP soundbites. A lowest common denominator argument meant to exploit anti-English feeling.

Even something as explosive as the Scotland Act of 2012 which gives Scotland the power to raise income tax by 3p in the Pound or the fact that the NHS in Scotland is devolved so spending is decided at Holyrood is still allowed to be ignored as everything appears to be the fault of Westminster and a plan by the English to 'do Scotland down'.

The current crop of professional politicians, who consider themselves the 'elite' and the 'big beasts' of the national political arena have proven themselves (again) to be woeful in articulating a message to the people they are meant to represent. Possibly the most important message they will ever have to articulate in their fleeting political lifetimes.

All these politicians will be gone from the scene long after the aftershocks of this referendum are still being felt.

Last edited by Roobarb; 10-09-14 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-09-14, 09:45 AM

I could not agree anymore on that comment.

The way I see it. The spineless 3 stooges in London, who are hurriedly and as Cameron said "desperately" running north to quell the revolt have embarrassed us all. I never thought in my lifetime I would hear or see a British prime minister write the word "desperate" in a public statement. Margaret Thatcher must be turning in her grave to see that one, let alone my name sake Edward' Hammer of the Scots".

It seems if they stay we have promised crippling gifts and if they leave we have a crippling period of reorganisation.

I have recently retuned to the UK after nearly 20 years in the Colonies. I am dismayed at the caliber of our "Elite" leadership. Look at them below.... All three of them added up together couldn't sit at a children's tea party table let alone at a table in the presence of leaders like Putin, Merkel or Xi Jinping. We are nothing more than a Poodle of the Yank's, sticking our nose's into anything the American's ask us to. Just look at the shambles our government has produced.

1 - Loss of Scotland, soon to be followed by Wales and N. Ireland.
2 - Civil war in Libya (Caused by the British and French at the behest of the US)
3 - ISIS - Product of the illustrious Blaire years, then trained and supplied by the British, USA and French
4 - Ukraine - Civil war created by the British and the US in supporting a Nazi clique in Kiev; and then blaming Putin. Who only took back the Crimea as we took back the Falklands
5- Civil war in Syria -Enflamed by British, American and French by supporting the militants
6 - Collapse of UK border security

And I haven't even listed the internal collapsed of law and order, National Health etc etc etc.

The Scottish situation is just the tip of the iceberg of incompetence in our government from the actions of the three little piggies below. We just need someone to come in and start building our house out of bricks and not the sticks and hay of the other two. There will be plenty more Wolves to huff and puff in the future.

My apologies to any who I offend and sorry I went off track a little but it is the real problem, not just Salmond.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a-LEADERS-404x304.jpg (36.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-09-14, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
I could not agree anymore on that comment.

The way I see it. The spineless 3 stooges in London, who are hurriedly and as Cameron said "desperately" running north to quell the revolt have embarrassed us all. I never thought in my lifetime I would hear or see a British prime minister write the word "desperate" in a public statement. Margaret Thatcher must be turning in her grave to see that one, let alone my name sake Edward' Hammer of the Scots".

It seems if they stay we have promised crippling gifts and if they leave we have a crippling period of reorganisation.

I have recently retuned to the UK after nearly 20 years in the Colonies. I am dismayed at the caliber of our "Elite" leadership. Look at them below.... All three of them added up together couldn't sit at a children's tea party table let alone at a table in the presence of leaders like Putin, Merkel or Xi Jinping. We are nothing more than a Poodle of the Yank's, sticking our nose's into anything the American's ask us to. Just look at the shambles our government has produced.

1 - Loss of Scotland, soon to be followed by Wales and N. Ireland.
2 - Civil war in Libya (Caused by the British and French at the behest of the US)
3 - ISIS - Product of the illustrious Blaire years, then trained and supplied by the British, USA and French
4 - Ukraine - Civil war created by the British and the US in supporting a Nazi clique in Kiev; and then blaming Putin. Who only took back the Crimea as we took back the Falklands
5- Civil war in Syria -Enflamed by British, American and French by supporting the militants
6 - Collapse of UK border security

And I haven't even listed the internal collapsed of law and order, National Health etc etc etc.

The Scottish situation is just the tip of the iceberg of incompetence in our government from the actions of the three little piggies below. We just need someone to come in and start building our house out of bricks and not the sticks and hay of the other two. There will be plenty more Wolves to huff and puff in the future.

My apologies to any who I offend and sorry I went off track a little but it is the real problem, not just Salmond.
Hmm After all that I really am very confused why you want to come back and live in this vile pointless, messed up. failed, near third world. pathetic little insignificant country as you sea it ! and what makes you think it would ever be possible for Wales and Northern Ireland to become independent? Just asking??
Old 10-09-14, 10:27 AM

Well, let's see. It seems my skills in marketing is required to sell the Brit's more stuff they don't need really. But that really hasn't anything to do with what I said. I don't seem to find in reviewing my comments anything similar to

"pointless, messed up, failed, near third world. pathetic little insignificant country"

In fact my point is that we are a great nation or shall we say a great nation slowly loosing that status based on one of the three characters and their predecessors below actions you feel is or could do a batter job of preventing IF they can grab power.

I think your response is one of the issue's. No one can ever say we made a mistake in this country now, it's double down and carry on regardlessly. If you feel the list of foreign policy decisions above was a correct one, let alone the internal decline in a society as Roobarb stated was hard fought to maintain and defend; then we are lost. Do you honestly really feel that what I said above isn't a fact. Put aside the politics, look at big picture.

Back to Scotland. Do you think that the leadership of this country 20+ years ago would be seen scurrying north to placate and plead publicly like frightened children. Yet puff their chest's at the NATO conference, but did you notice; standing behind Obama waiting for permission to speak......
Old 10-09-14, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Well, let's see. It seems my skills in marketing is required to sell the Brit's more stuff they don't need really. But that really hasn't anything to do with what I said. I don't seem to find in reviewing my comments anything similar to

"pointless, messed up, failed, near third world. pathetic little insignificant country"

In fact my point is that we are a great nation or shall we say a great nation slowly loosing that status based on one of the three characters and their predecessors below actions you feel is or could do a batter job of preventing IF they can grab power.

I think your response is one of the issue's. No one can ever say we made a mistake in this country now, it's double down and carry on regardlessly. If you feel the list of foreign policy decisions above was a correct one, let alone the internal decline in a society as Roobarb stated was hard fought to maintain and defend; then we are lost. Do you honestly really feel that what I said above isn't a fact. Put aside the politics, look at big picture.

Back to Scotland. Do you think that the leadership of this country 20+ years ago would be seen scurrying north to placate and plead publicly like frightened children. Yet puff their chest's at the NATO conference, but did you notice; standing behind Obama waiting for permission to speak......
Well I only asked a question? Can only say that I do totally agree with 95% of what you wrote except for the Wales and Northern Ireland bit. Wales by it's own admission know that even if it wants to be an independent country it just couldn't survive on it's own. Northern Ireland will never be independent! it will only ever have 2 choices - be part of the Irish Republic or a province of Great Britain. As for Alex Salamander, I'm an Englishman with much purer Highland blood in his veins than your man Alex and love Scotland equally with England and believe he is an odious toad about to destroy the Scotland I love and the UK I'm proud to live in and have served for 34 years!
Old 10-09-14, 11:10 AM

My apogees Sailorbear. Maybe I misread. Please accept my apologies.

I am just so disappointed in the situation I find now home. I've been in living in a country that I do not want the UK to become. Because I see it in all aspects of foreign and domestic decision making. Both in the demand of my skills in marketing and design to build a consumer society, and the Americanisation of my country in all but name as the 51st state; but in general the overall decline.

The Scottish problem is just a symptom of that weak governance. I didn't vote in UK elections while in the States as I didn't think it right to vote for someone who I then didn't experience the results. But I have to say, I will with a vengeance now.

We really need to loose Scotland and let them try for it. I say that with a heavy heart though, as I know what Scotland has done for King and Country as you have yourself. But I resent their animosity against us. They haven't done too bad. As regards my comment on N. Ireland and Wales. I think your right. They don't have the 75 billion a year revenue as the Scots have, and really know which side their bread is buttered on.....:roll eyes:

On my comments on the foreign policy. It reminds me of something someone said in a movie I once saw. " They bring in the storm clouds, and then complain your getting wet".

Anyway, I enjoy these off topic threads, it's nice to have a chance to chat.

Cheers

Simon.
Old 10-09-14, 12:32 PM

Simon,
If the English had stayed quiet from day one and let the Scottish people decide I believe that there would have been about 70% in favor of union
The English politicians had to open their mouths and make the Scottish public feel much better off they are than their neighbors south of the border.
Salmond on his own could have never achieved what the Westminster three did for his cause.
Westminster has never understood the Scottish, Irish or Welsh people and rarely seem to understand the English population.
Eddie
Old 10-09-14, 12:37 PM

What do you expect from government from the Blaire years until today, that before sitting in the big seat were no nothings with no experience in actual governance. I mean Cameron was a minor spin doctor for a minor minister in the John Major years, before skillfull manoeuvring and ending up in the big seat. It's like an episode from "Yes Minister".

Simon.
Old 10-09-14, 12:54 PM

Quote:
If the English had stayed quiet from day one
But it isn't an 'English' issue. Those politicians are British politicians who have every right to comment on Britain and the major issue of the referendum to break it up. I would both expect and quite frankly demand that they would comment on it.

This just illustrates the division being wrought to cloud debate when the use of the term 'English' almost becomes a de facto pejorative. This decision affects everyone in these isles be you Welsh, English, Scottish or Northern Irish. The fact that someone was born in Belfast, Cardiff or Leeds does not preclude them voicing an opinion in an official manner.

If you still think it isn't of consequence and the other 55 million people should be silent, just have a little read of a few financial websites and see how much money has vanished from Scotland and the UK as a whole over the last week or so due to the uncertainty felt in the financial sector.

With regards to Wales...speaking as both a Briton and a Welshman even the most economically challenged person here can see that a country of 3 million people cannot possibly sustain the infrastructure that already exists here.

Thankfully, with a few exceptions, modern, poisonous, blame fuelled, empty nationalism has never really taken root here.

Last edited by Roobarb; 10-09-14 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-09-14, 01:02 PM

Simon,
I still have a lot of faith in the people of Scotland voting No.
This is because they are an independent people who will not be dictated to by either Westminster or Mr Salmond, and they know North Sea Oil will not last for ever.
Eddie
Old 10-09-14, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Simon,
I still have a lot of faith in the people of Scotland voting No.
This is because they are an independent people who will not be dictated to by either Westminster or Mr Salmond, and they know North Sea Oil will not last for ever.
Eddie
I do too and pray I'm not misguided!

But to put things in perspective, there are an estimated 61 million people in the United Kingdom, there are 4 million Scots of which I believe around two thirds are of voting age. At best if the yes vote is successful, it will be only by the smallest majority, so just over half! So 1.5 million people will control the futures of 58.5 million other people, How can that be democratic?

This is my UNITED KINGDOM, MY COUNTRY, So why cant I vote and have a say on matters that effect me and the future of my children? Salmonds arrogance appals me and ignorance and stupidity staggers me, he really believe Scotland can prosper and that that leaving the union will not have far reaching negative effects for all concerned? They insist on a currency union, so what brings the rest of the UK down will bring down Scotland too! and as we already import far more gas and oil than we produce Salmonds oil utopia fantasy will soon turn out to be the lie all intelligent people already know it is!.

I have Scots ancestry (and a proud Clan Ross and MacAndrew's tartan) and was always brought up to believe the scots were "Canny" I hope for all our sakes they are and like you say, vote NO!

Last edited by sailorbear; 10-09-14 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-09-14, 02:03 PM

I think if we look back in history. Britain as it became as a United Kingdom was a 180 degree turn, and from there we went on to be the worlds most powerful Empire. A lot different than the previous 700 years of squabbling and fighting as independents.

United we became a Nation with a single goal. And I believe if maintained, we won't obviously mirror our collective success of one third of the planet in our pocket, but maintain our position and respect as a senior member of the big club of nations. That is if we stop following the American's and grow some again, and be independent in thought and action.......:roll eyes:

Cheers to my fellow Brits
Old 10-09-14, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Hi Jo, how are you mate. Don't forget I was only just down the road up to July this year........

Doing OK...thanks for asking. Hoping your return to the mother country did not cause too much of a shock......

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.