British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-10-16, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Nice picture of Drum Major and Pipers which I think is out side the old LNWR Hotel in Lime Street ( now student accommodation ) and opposite St.Georges Hall.

The picture shows the Pipe banners which were paid for by Vernon Sangster of Vernons Pools ( Sir Gerard McClellan the CEO of Vernons was an officer of the Liverpool Irish and later C.O.of the unit.

The Pipe Banners ( or at least a number of them ) had the badge of the Liverpool Irish on one side and the badge of one of the disbanded Irish Regiments ( and Vernon Sangsters initials ) on the other side.

P.B.

p://s272.photobucket.com/user/8thfoot/media/IMG_3512.jpg.html][/URL]
Peter,

This is taken in St. John's Gardens rear of St. Georges Hall.

Dave.
Old 19-10-16, 02:27 PM

Duplicated post.

Last edited by altcar73; 19-10-16 at 02:35 PM.
Old 19-10-16, 02:29 PM

Duplicated post.

Last edited by altcar73; 19-10-16 at 02:34 PM.
Old 19-10-16, 02:38 PM

Thanks Dave,

In that case the other side of St. Georges Hall to a lot of the other photos of the Liverpool Irish I have as in the attached examples.

Regards

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg band 11th nov.jpg (73.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg guard lpool irish.jpg (61.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3509.jpg (52.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3510.jpg (57.6 KB, 24 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 19-10-16, 02:38 PM

Quote:
The next photo is of the Pipes and Drums leading the battalion through the streets of Liverpool ( possibly on the way to a St.Patricks day parade on Lime Street outside St.Georges Hall )

It is interesting to see the tram lines and overhead tram wires, the scene is typical of Liverpool in the post war period before slum clearance got underway. I have been trying to identify the location but with no luck as yet.

I can just make out the sign of 96th AGRA on some sleeves.

P.B.

Peter,

This looks very much like Shaw Street walking towards the City Centre. Whitley Gardens on the right hand side.

Dave.
Old 19-10-16, 03:02 PM

Dave,

Those were my first thoughts as the Liverpool Irish had their drill hall in Shaw Street .

I had even found the attached map to find a route from Shaw Street to St.George`s Hall and interestingly there seems to be tram lines shown on Shaw Street on the map.

I had hoped it might have been possible to read the name of the pub ( if it is a pub ) which is the building on the right hand corner of the road leading off to the right up a hill,and which is in the original photo which would have helped with a positive identification.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Liverpool City Centre Drill Halls.jpg (110.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3504.jpg (65.5 KB, 33 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 19-10-16 at 03:10 PM.
Old 19-10-16, 03:09 PM

Peter,

I think the map confirms it. Eastbourne Street running up to the right. Might be wrong but it looks like a shop on the corner, rather than a pub. Yes, it is a pub, I can see it now.

Dave.
Old 19-10-16, 06:25 PM

I was not going to post anymore pictures from the album but I could not resist this one which is from a camp where all the members of the Pipes and Drums are wearing in the caubeen the badge copied from the Liverpool Irish Rifle Volunteers pouch belt badge.

The drums have the units badge on them and the Pipers are wearing cloaks with celtic design cloak clasps. They are also wearing cross belts and waist belts with large waist belt clasps, the design of which is not clear.

P.B.

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 19-10-16 at 07:00 PM.
Old 19-10-16, 06:54 PM

Peter,

A cracking batch of really great photos. Thanks for sharing them.

Dave.
Old 19-10-16, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
Peter,

This photo is taken in St. John's Gardens (rear of St. Georges Hall). To the left you can just see the County Sessions House. (or is it the Walker Art Gallery?)

Dave.
The two sergeants at front left in SD caps look like Royal Military Police?

Tim
Old 20-10-16, 07:37 PM

Thanks to Paul Spellman for sending me an old picture of Shaw Street and I have now found some extracts of old OS plans in my files that show that Dave (Altcar ) was right in identifying the second photo as being taken in Shaw Street. In fact as far as I can make out, when the picture was taken the Pipes and Drums were on ShawStreet outside the Drill Hall.

Also attached is a modern picture of the site of the drill hall.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3521.jpg (114.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3522.jpg (122.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Site of Liverpool Irish Drill Hall in Shaw Street.jpg (37.8 KB, 20 views)

Old 20-10-16, 08:28 PM

In the 1960's/1970's I recall that the Drill Hall was used by the Corporation for different purposes. There was a rent office there and the Housing Dept., had their repair section based there. I ceased to work in the area in about 1978 and lost track of what eventually became of it or when it was actually demolished. It must, in its heyday been quite a fine building as such it should really have been restored and put to a meaningful use. Alas, as with many such buildings there was a lack of foresight on the part of the Corporation which accounts for the loss of many fine structures. Today, perhaps a different view would be taken. Alas, its to late now to try to reclaim the past.

Dave.
Old 20-10-16, 08:59 PM

The Drill Hall of the 6th V.B./9th T.F. Battalion still exits only a short distance from Shaw Street in Everton Road but is in very poor condition and was one of the properties in the Echo`s "Stop the Rot" campaign.

It will be interesting to see what happens to it.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...racks-11393580

P.B.

Old 22-10-16, 08:33 PM

Quote:
With thanks to member Mike B, I have acquired a photograph album which belonged to Frank Kelly who was Drum Major of the Liverpool Irish from 1947 to 1960. At this time the Liverpool Irish had become a Royal Artillery unit.

A picture of the cover of the album is attached which has a Liverpool Irish anodised button on the front.

I will post a few of the photos in the album in the hope that they might be of interest.

At the beginning of the album there is a picture of a very young man holding a bugle and in the uniform of the Kings Liverpool Regiment and I presume that this is Frank.

In the photo immediately below, Frank is wearing a pouch belt that had belonged to a relative who had been a member of the Liverpool Irish Rifle Volunteers and it is the badge on the front of this belt that was copied for wear as a badge by Pipers and Drummers of the Liverpool Irish ( see Gaylor- Military Badge Collecting 1st Edition page 107 )

P.B.
this picture was taken in Shaw street Barracks prior to the St Patricks Parade and prior to the Full Band picture you have
the picture of the bugler i would make a guess that it is Franks Father who joined the Army as a boy and was mentioned in dispatches during the first world war ,the cross belt Frank is wearing was his Fathers Dress Cross belt and yes the Badge was copied fro the band all of these pictures are of the same period of time that i was in it the
Full Band picture was taken i believe at our first camp where all the Band was in Kilts (Saffron) it was i believe Towyn (Wales) i am back row second from left (with the big hat) the second picture shows the Band marching along Shaw st for a St Patrick's Parade previously we would march out of the drill hall and down William Henry st but it proved too slippery with the rain on the cobbles so the Regiment formed up in Shaw st and set off from there
and yes the last pics were at the rear of St Geoges Hall it was some anniversary or other and Regiment was being presented with some award by the Lord Mayor and some high ranking officer hence the Regimental Police
although i cant be seen as i am on the back row of drummers i was certainly there and has brought back some wonderful memories (aah those were the days) excellent addition to your collection peter thank you for sharing Best Regards Eric
Old 22-10-16, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
In the 1960's/1970's I recall that the Drill Hall was used by the Corporation for different purposes. There was a rent office there and the Housing Dept., had their repair section based there. I ceased to work in the area in about 1978 and lost track of what eventually became of it or when it was actually demolished. It must, in its heyday been quite a fine building as such it should really have been restored and put to a meaningful use. Alas, as with many such buildings there was a lack of foresight on the part of the Corporation which accounts for the loss of many fine structures. Today, perhaps a different view would be taken. Alas, its to late now to try to reclaim the past.

Dave.
in 1957(not sure of exact date as i was in the Royal Navy ) 626 Liverpool Irish (8th Kings) Royal Artillery Territorial Army, was amalgamated into 470 Light Anti Aircraft Regt as "Q" Battery which was in Aigburth Rd and to this day after another amalgamation in 1968 to 103 Regt Royal Artillery with the line of Liverpool Irish now down to a Troop who still celebrate St Patricks Day the Drill Hall as you say became the corporations work facility i plan to come over for a holiday next year and i have promised my self a day where i will get a bus to the pier head and get on one do a round trip and get on another until it gets dark to see what Liverpool looks like now any way i hope this info is of some use best Regards Eric