British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-06-13, 08:11 PM

Default Royal Engineer TRFs

Hi all, anyone able to tell me which units within the Royal Engineers would have diver trained personnel within them and able to provide images of the TRFs that are worn?

Regards

Tony
Old 05-06-13, 08:38 PM
Banned

--

Last edited by Charlie585; 21-11-13 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-06-13, 09:14 PM

Tony, from my recollection ALL engineer units had diver's as Ry has said, not always there as a unit asset but on the posted strength. If I remember rightly Engineer support squadrons had a diver capability and some Engineer regiments had a diver section. When I served with 28 Amphibious Engineer regiment at Hamlin (pied piper town) in BAOR, the unit used the M2 bridging rig so there was a diving section.
As for TRF's none were ever worn(in units I served with-1969 to 1993) I only ever wore the blue diamond flash when with 5 Airbourne brigade at 36 Engr regt, Maistone Kent.
I hope this helps??

Jerry.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 06-06-13, 10:09 AM

Default Royal Engineer TRFs

Hi Jerry & Ry

Thanks for the replies, very helpful! So basically if I want to add RE TRFs that would be worn by RE divers to my collection I need to collect all RE TRFs? Hmm me thinks maybe I'm gonna need to build an extension!

Regards

Tony
Old 06-06-13, 04:30 PM

There is only one RE TRF (Tactical Recognition Flash) which came into use in 2005, however prior then there were a vast number of Unit Identification Badges including the shoulder designation ROYAL ENGINEERS.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 15-02-22 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-06-13, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

The exception is the RE Regt attached to 16 AA bde who have their own TRF and do not wear the standard Re one.
Old 06-06-13, 05:28 PM
Banned

--

Last edited by Charlie585; 21-11-13 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-06-13, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The exception is the RE Regt attached to 16 AA bde who have their own TRF and do not wear the standard Re one.
That is not a TRF but a DZ (Drop Zone) Flash. Most units in 16 AA Bde wear a different DZ inherited from 5 AB to the TRF worn by parent unit.

One of those peculiarities of the British Army!

In fact the RE have 3:

23rd Air Assault Engineer Regiment (Which is a RE TRF on a Blue Diamond background)

9th Parachute Squadron, 23rd Engineer Regiment (Not sure if still in use)

EOD Troop 33rd Engineer Regiment (Which I beleave has a EOD Clearance Divers section)

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 06-06-13 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-06-13, 06:31 PM

If you look through this album you will find a large number of Unit Identification Badges worn before, during and after the ADCs decision to try and regulate them.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=861

Marc
Old 08-06-13, 06:08 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
These were yellow divers helmets on an olive green background and they often had SW for swallow water.
I always thought the SW stood for shark wrestler
Old 08-06-13, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Hi Tony,

During my time in the REs 80s/90s divers were present in every unit. They wore their divers badges on their lower sleeve, these were yellow divers helmets on an olive green background and they often had SW for swallow water. I'm sure I recall subdued examples and also metal or possibly ano examples for best dress though these may have been worn unofficially.

Jerry will be able to confirm all this better than I can I'm sure, maybe a visit to his albums will help.

Regards

Ry
The Metal sleeve badge was made in anodised
Old 08-06-13, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I always thought the SW stood for shark wrestler
We were tough guys in the engineers when we went swimming. The sharks were terrified when the sappers put on their speedo's.....

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 09-06-13, 09:52 PM

Quote:
During the 80s and 90s in BAOR before the time of TRFs it was not common practice for RE personnel to wear any form of S/T. 32 AER of course were the exception with 26 AES as part of the regiment having their own S/T.

You might have seen the odd subdued S/T on a combat jacket on exercise which was most likely a leftover from serving with a UK based regiment, or an earlier time.

As for formation signs, many of us would have liked to have been able to retain the red Jerboa after Granby but it was not to be and they all went back to the QM's still attached to our desert combats.

I don't recall ever seeing the type that you show in use Marc though I have seen them for sale by Corps Enterprises, I think aimed at the souvenir market.

Ry
The TRF shown by Marc IS worn by 33 Engineer Regt, based at Wimbish currently. And before you all start shouting no they don't etc . . Yes they do because I live down the road to the barracks.
Old 09-06-13, 10:15 PM
Banned

--

Last edited by Charlie585; 21-11-13 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-06-13, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Hi Jerry & Ry

Thanks for the replies, very helpful! So basically if I want to add RE TRFs that would be worn by RE divers to my collection I need to collect all RE TRFs? Hmm me thinks maybe I'm gonna need to build an extension!

Regards

Tony
Not a definitive answer but maybe I should point out that the Divers Helmet badge (SW - Shallow Water/Shark Wrestler, Helmet by itself is the higher grade - can't remember the criteria) is a Qualification Badge, same as Commando insignia or Para wings.
Diver qualified personnel are entitled to wear the badge even if they are not primarily employed in that role. RE being a Corps in which personnel may sometimes move from one Regt/Sqn to another, the TRF may change but the qualification badges are usually worn.

There is a maximum number of badges that can be worn so some guys do have a hard time choosing which to omit, Para, Cdo, Diver, EOD etc!

Regards, Paddy

Seem to recall that the curved 'Royal Engineers' shoulder title was retained specifically by 32 Armoured Regt RE and had a '32' underneath it in the 90s