British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-04-12, 09:45 PM

Default RLC

Jerry and Fat boy ken as we were discussing at Aldershot here is the badge i have, and Jerry its not made by that maker you said TKS this one is made by Firmin, so is it an Officers or Other ranks.
Cheers Guys
Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File0373.jpg (77.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg File0374.jpg (62.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg File0375.jpg (27.3 KB, 29 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 29-04-12 at 11:45 PM.
Old 29-04-12, 09:52 PM
Former Member

Malc,
it's neither A badge made for the collectors market!

Andy
Old 29-04-12, 10:03 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Malc,
it's neither A badge made for the collectors market!

Andy
Cheers Andy i better tell my mate in the TA RLC that he gave me a duff badge

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 29-04-12, 10:10 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Cheers Andy i better tell my mate in the TA RLC that he gave me a duff badge
Malc,
the RLC museum were knocking these out just after "Options for Change", the Officers patterns are both lugged (long ones) S/G for the SD Cap and S/G/E for the Forage Cap.. The Soldiers badges were in S/G anodised and then after 10 years changed to Frosted Silver and Gilt both with a sliders.

Perhaps this one is for Soldiers Forage caps? As to the T.A. "Nothing Surprises me"!

Andy
Old 29-04-12, 10:38 PM

Default RLC

Andy, I have a RLC cap badge with TKS on the slider, is this an issue badge or a Mickey Mouse special?

Thanks Rob
Old 29-04-12, 10:47 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Andy, I have a RLC cap badge with TKS on the slider, is this an issue badge or a Mickey Mouse special?

Thanks Rob
Rob,
probably the Sliver & Gilt one I mentioned above?

Andy
Old 29-04-12, 11:58 PM

Hi Malc
Its genuine O/R's but its not worn anymore. I think the last time it was worn was the early 2000's.

Best regards Neil
Old 30-04-12, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil mercer View Post
Hi Malc
Its genuine O/R's but its not worn anymore. I think the last time it was worn was the early 2000's.

Best regards Neil
Cheers Neil
He also gave me these when he came back from Bosnia i think thats where he went.
Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File0376.jpg (79.8 KB, 11 views)

Old 30-04-12, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Jerry and Fat boy ken as we were discussing at Aldershot here is the badge i have, and Jerry its not made by that maker you said TKS this one is made by Firmin, so is it an Officers or Other ranks.
Cheers Guys
Malc
Nothing wrong with the badge, it and matching collar badges were sealed on 07/07/1994 for RLC soldiers.

Marc
Andy amend your notes.
Old 30-04-12, 07:51 AM
Former Member

Marc,
always willing to be corrected, I was working from RLC dress regs from the period of Options for Change, in a way I'm glad to hear this information, as I've several examples, LB&B, Ammo & TKS.. .. I think Firmin may have continued to make & distribute these after they had been dropped by the Corps?

Thanks as always

Andy
Old 30-04-12, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

I can't say that remeber it from the early 1990s. The RLC wore A/A or the cloth version because the a/a one was not available. I would be interested to see the dress regs authorising a coloured one as it looks like a PRI badge to me. They did have a serious shortfall which is why the cloth ones were so widely worn and some regts preferred them to such an extent that they were still in use circa 2002 prior to the introduction of the improved metal badge on the 10th anniversary of the Corps foundation.
Old 30-04-12, 01:32 PM

The Patterns for both.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:32 PM.
Old 30-04-12, 01:53 PM

As I was saying to joachim on Sunday, (IMO) the Corps have made far too many variations on the cap badges both Officers & OR's.
(from cheap shoddy crap, to expensive shoddier crap)

It makes one think that not much thought had gone into the change over in 1993 and "STILL" they keep changing the badges 19 years on.

I expect that like others on this forum think, that the powers that be should have ensured that the "BADGE OF THE CORPS" were paramount for the life of the corps. In all the time of the RCT I'd say that we had one badge in all of the 28 years of our life, only the makers made slight alterations of the RCT badges, but they were not given major alterations, so as to confuse everyone.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you with this item Malcolm, but as with all the RLC stuff around, it's one of the worst badges to collect, even I'm having problems and need help.

I wonder how much money has been lost in all of this, by the Corps.

In the New SDR coming up, they (the Gov) are making massive cuts in the Transport/Logistic side of the army, and they're expecting to be dessimated, .......

Ken
Old 30-04-12, 03:28 PM

There have been that number of RLC badges that I have lost track of them. However I used to be in receipt of the Minutes of the Army Dress Committee (since I was involved in "Dress"), and the Committee said that the soldiers' multicoloured badge being worn was too similar to the officers' version, and that the Corps was to revert forthwith to what I believe was the plain badge - as originally approved by the Committee. I mentioned this to the higher echelons of a predominately RLC unit, and was laughted at! But I was ahead of the game; for I used to see RLC Soldiers almost daily, and it took about a year for the order to filter down and to take effect. I believe the offending badges were "organised" by HQ RLC at Deepcut.
Old 30-04-12, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revdougal View Post
I mentioned this to the higher echelons of a predominately RLC unit, and was laughted at! But I was ahead of the game; for I used to see RLC Soldiers almost daily, and it took about a year for the order to filter down and to take effect. I believe the offending badges were "organised" by HQ RLC at Deepcut.
Exactly, what I said to joachim, it came from HQ RLC Deepcut, If you tried this stunt with the Regimental QM's of the army, you'd be made to pay for the mistake, but leave it in the hands of the top end, ....... smells like another change over is a coming.

Worst thing that could have been done, was to put the Ordnance Corps and Transport Corps together, ...... and let the incompetent Ordance Officers run the show, ....... just like the Crimea all over again, god help us all if another war comes along with that lot in charge.

In Gulf 1 not a single complaint, Gulf 2 !! you had all the old guy's from Gulf 1 running the show, keeping all the supplies on the backs of the trucks as we were moving along, with an extended resupply chain following behind, god !! we were even supplying the yanks with stuff cos their own guys were having problems.

If they don't understand the complexities of a simple "CAP BADGE" what chance have the infantry & tankies got with their Supplies.

RIGHT !!! Rant over

Ken (DA FATBOY!!!)

PS !! I blame joachim, cos he asked the question first, ............ lol