British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-02-20, 03:34 PM

Default Derbyshire Yeomanry Cap badge and lot

I have been lucky enough to win an auction on a lot of badges related to a 1st Batn Derbyshire Yeomanry Trooper. This lot is of great meaning to me, since Derbyshire Yeomanry led the way for the 6th Armoured Division towards Florence, my birth town, in the summer of 1944. The lot comprehends Trooper Burford's campaign medals, his dog tags, a Derbyshire Yeomanry white metal cap badge, and a poignant sweetheart pendant with his portrait. Please notice that in the pic, Trooper Burford seems to wear on his RAC beret a RAC cap badge, not the DY rose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Derby_Yeo_Lot_1.jpg (56.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Derby_Yeo_Lot_cap_Badge.jpg (69.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Derby_Yeo_Lot_Medals.jpg (75.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Derby_Yeo_Lot_Dog_Tag.jpg (54.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Derby_Yeo_Lot_Sweetheart_Pendant.jpg (57.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 24-02-20, 05:10 PM

Smile Derbyshire Yeomanry Cap badge and lot

I love lots that are like this, some people split them up to sell which looses all the history as WWII medals were not normally named.

Thanks for sharing Rob
Old 24-02-20, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I love lots that are like this, some people split them up to sell which looses all the history as WWII medals were not normally named.

Thanks for sharing Rob
That's exactly my feeling, too. Being campaign medals not named, you can't possibly attribute them with absolute certainty to a specific individual, unless they come in a lot with some other named items. Even in this case one can not 100% sure that the medals belonged to Trooper Burford, but sure the First Army clasp on the Africa Star is consistent with Derbyshire Yeomanry.
Old 24-02-20, 06:56 PM

That’s a nice set even with the caveats you mention, nice to have the id tags. Not uncommon to have an RAC badged photo amongst a soldier’s effects, their first uniform photo.
John
Old 25-02-20, 01:10 PM

As others have said, this is to my mind a lovely group. When buying groups where the medals are un-named there will always be a degree of doubt, however for me it all comes down to degrees of likelihood. I.e. what is the source and motivation for selling? If a dealer has some spare loose medals they may throw them together with some other items to make an "attributable" group. I strongly suspect however, that these cases are the exceptions and I think its one of those cases where if it looks and feels right, it probably is.
Old 26-02-20, 10:38 AM

Default Army service number: General Service Corps

The Army number, 14,267,445, is for the General Service Corps. It looks like from 1942 recruits began their initial training with the General Service Corps, 14,649,782 joined on 15 July 1943, so the Army number could fit for anybody who had joined any formation in 1942 or early 1943. Not much of an help, I am afraid. Source: http://www.researchingww2.co.uk/army...tish-army-ww2/