British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-06-20, 04:16 PM

Default Norfolk & Suffolk Yeomanry

I just wanted to follow up on my previous post about the GRV and GRVI Norfolk Yeomanry badges, with one about the ERII badge. Like most Norfolk collectors I have ERII cyphers in my ‘collection’ but there is no real evidence that this badge was worn by the Norfolk Yeomanry.

When the TA was reconstituted in 1947, the NY (wearing the GVI cypher cap badge) was reformed in the Anti-Aircraft (AA) role as 389th (The King's Own Regiment, Norfolk Yeomanry) Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RA, with RHQ still at Swaffham. It formed part of 98th (AA) Army Group Royal Artillery in the field army, but this was disbanded in 1948. The abolition of Anti-Aircraft Command in 1955 resulted in a large number of disbandments and mergers among TA AA units. The 389th LAA Rgt merged with 284th (1st East Anglian) (Mixed) Heavy AA Rgt, to form 284th (The King's Royal Regiment, Norfolk Yeomanry) Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RA, of which the old 284th formed RHQ (at Norwich) and Q Btys, and the Norfolk Yeomanry provided P and R Btys wearing the RA cap badge.

It’s possible the P&R Btys wore the ERII cypher but I’ve never seen any pictures to support this.

In 1961 the NY merged with 358th (Suffolk Yeomanry) Field Rgt, RA becoming 308th (Suffolk and Norfolk Yeomanry) Field Regiment, RA, with RHQ moving to Ipswich (wearing anodised S&NY cap badge). In 1967 this became 202 (The Suffolk and Norfolk Yeomanry) Battery Royal Artillery (Volunteers), a battery within the newly raised 100th (Yeomanry) Regiment Royal Artillery (Volunteers). Wearing the RA cap badge.

In 2006, 202 (The Suffolk and Norfolk Yeomanry) Battery Royal Artillery (Volunteers) re-roled to become No. 677 (Suffolk and Norfolk Yeomanry) Squadron AAC (Volunteers) and is part of 6 Regiment Army Air Corps (Volunteers). Squadron Headquarters and A Flight are at Bury St Edmunds, B Flight at Norwich and C Flight at Ipswich. Rebadged AAC. I’ve attached a picture 61-67 showing the anodised The Suffolk and Norfolk Yeomanry cap badge being worn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E6284D33-2A1F-4059-A24E-E670CCFE9662.jpg (96.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-06-20, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

EIIR badge in wear by a SNCO:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...0&d=1350480888
Old 01-06-20, 05:15 PM

Default Norfolk Yeomanry

Hi Alan thanks for posting that's an interesting image. Can you say where it came from please? It has been suggested and discussed that cypher was worn by depot staff. Clearly the chap is RA. You can never say never with these things, when I was in you could not wear the yellow and green N&SY stable belts but everybody did and the guys from the Bedfordshire battery still wore their Pegasus a battle badge from their service at Arnhem, despite being told it could not be worn. You're always at School.
Old 01-06-20, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

It;s in another NY post on the forum. It's from 1960 : see post

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...eomanry&page=3

Last edited by Alan O; 01-06-20 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-06-20, 03:29 PM

Default Norfolk Yeomanry.

Not the clearest of images but this one from https://suffolkandnorfolkyeomanryassociation.org.uk/ Derek Bowman who served between 1952 and 1987 it does look like the ERII cypher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50E78E4E-85D5-4CE2-ABFD-3A8420B064D2.jpg (56.5 KB, 32 views)