British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-09-08, 08:40 PM

The gold anodised back badge does exist with (I believe) integral lugs with sharpened edges which will break off after a few uses.

Regards

Chris
Old 02-09-08, 09:40 PM

It's worth remembering that pre-aa badges, when the Glosters wore a w/m badge the back badge was g/m. It may well be that when aa badges were first introduced in the early 50s(?) the back badge was g/m in aa. What for example did the Glosters street lining party wear at the coronation in 1953? Each Regt provided a party.
Old 05-09-08, 03:44 AM

Hi Guys,

Last week we had some really good input about the Royal Alderney Militia and Royal Alderney Militia ACF badges and would like to pick all of your brains again with the last four from my oddities list being:

1) University Of London OTC (All Silver)
2) Tayforth Universities UOTC (All Silver)
3) Royal Army Medical Corp (Gold snake)
4) Wessex Regiment/Wessex Brigade (All Silver)

The Silver Wessex item may already have been covered but I think the rest are all factory mistakes.

Opinions please.

Regards

Chris
Old 05-09-08, 05:25 PM

Chris,
1) Never come across one
2) The all silver version that ive seen is the same as the example that is shown in K&K non voided with fleur-de-lys in the non voided sections.
3) Manufacturing error
4) Manufacturing error ,related military websites state that the staybrite badge was gold.I know there information could be wrong.Personal opinion on 4) is an error.
Old 06-09-08, 02:03 PM

Default Gold aa back badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
The gold anodised back badge does exist with (I believe) integral lugs with sharpened edges which will break off after a few uses.

Regards

Chris
Chris,
The gold AA back badges I have are the same as the silver types (i.e just wth the small lugs) I've not seen the type with blades in A A (the new types in gold metal, yes) but I do have some that are clearly very late in manufacture. I do believe Mike H could well be right with his theory regarding the RRG&H Regt, however Toby has a point too. The original Glosters back badge was gold in brass.

Regards all

Bess
Old 06-09-08, 02:49 PM

Default RAMC gold/silver snake

[QUOTE=hagwalther;21576]Hi Guys,

Last week we had some really good input about the Royal Alderney Militia and Royal Alderney Militia ACF badges and would like to pick all of your brains again with the last four from my oddities list being:

1) University Of London OTC (All Silver)
2) Tayforth Universities UOTC (All Silver)
3) Royal Army Medical Corp (Gold snake)
4) Wessex Regiment/Wessex Brigade (All Silver)

The Silver Wessex item may already have been covered but I think the rest are all factory mistakes.

Opinions please.

Chris,
I dont unfortunately have a date, but there was a clear change in the colour of the snake for RAMC badges in AA. I'm not sure which came first silver or gold. Both versions are common and frequently seen on the market along with the matching collar badges too, silver or gold snake versions.

I have this badge in all gold (got to be an error) and in all silver (error too I'm sure) however this badge came with a worn cherry red felt backing which is correct and has clearly been worn! Any thoughts anyone?

Bess
Old 07-09-08, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Chris,
The gold AA back badges I have are the same as the silver types (i.e just wth the small lugs) I've not seen the type with blades in A A (the new types in gold metal, yes) but I do have some that are clearly very late in manufacture. I do believe Mike H could well be right with his theory regarding the RRG&H Regt, however Toby has a point too. The original Glosters back badge was gold in brass.

Regards all

Bess
Hi Sean,

I was going to scan this but I've mislaid it somewhere - must be in the wrong box. I do have a gold and silver with lugs though.

Regards

Chris
Old 07-09-08, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Chris,
I dont unfortunately have a date, but there was a clear change in the colour of the snake for RAMC badges in AA. I'm not sure which came first silver or gold. Both versions are common and frequently seen on the market along with the matching collar badges too, silver or gold snake versions.

I have this badge in all gold (got to be an error) and in all silver (error too I'm sure) however this badge came with a worn cherry red felt backing which is correct and has clearly been worn! Any thoughts anyone?

Bess
Hi Bess,

I would be interested in that date if you could find it and also more infor on the silver one. The cherry backing (what is this all about) could have been added later.

Regards

Chris
Old 07-09-08, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Chris,
1) Never come across one
2) The all silver version that ive seen is the same as the example that is shown in K&K non voided with fleur-de-lys in the non voided sections.
3) Manufacturing error
4) Manufacturing error ,related military websites state that the staybrite badge was gold.I know there information could be wrong.Personal opinion on 4) is an error.
Mike, as I understand things the Tayford Universities UOTC is identical to the OTC but with the scroll saying 'UOTC' instead of 'OTC'.

Again, I think this is a 'no show' item.

Regards

Chris
Old 07-09-08, 08:30 AM

Default RAMC badge backing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Bess,

I would be interested in that date if you could find it and also more infor on the silver one. The cherry backing (what is this all about) could have been added later.

Regards

Chris
Chris,
The 'cherry red' badge backing for the RAMC is the correct recognised cap badge backing for this regiment.

And the cap badge backing subject is a whole differant ball game entirely!

Regards

Bess
Old 07-09-08, 04:59 PM

Default Aa ramc

Quote:
Chris,
The 'cherry red' badge backing for the RAMC is the correct recognised cap badge backing for this regiment.

And the cap badge backing subject is a whole differant ball game entirely!

Regards

Bess

Re the RAMC AA badge with gold snake. 'Regimental Badges by Major T J Edwards (6th edition dated 1974) quotes the then current RAMC other ranks cap badge (which would have been AA ) as 'As officers but only scroll in white metal, remainder in gilding metal'.. . . . 'cloth backing to beret badge: dull cherry'.

So gold snake first, at least until 1974 and silver snake later to present, with matching collar for both types.

Regards all

Bess
Old 07-09-08, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Re the RAMC AA badge with gold snake. 'Regimental Badges by Major T J Edwards (6th edition dated 1974) quotes the then current RAMC other ranks cap badge (which would have been AA ) as 'As officers but only scroll in white metal, remainder in gilding metal'.. . . . 'cloth backing to beret badge: dull cherry'.

So gold snake first, at least until 1974 and silver snake later to present, with matching collar for both types.

Regards all

Bess

Thanks Bess,

Looks like one to properly account for.

Regards

Chris