British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-07-14, 04:59 PM

Default Unknown Asian 'Elephant' Badge ?

The below described badge was amongst the bag of mostly Indian Army insignia, that was formerly the property of Brigadier C. Wallis (who surrendered the garrison at Stanley Fort to the Imperial Japanese Army at Hong Kong on 26 December 1941). While most of the badges have been positively identified, a couple including this one, remain a mystery as of writing.

FYI: Wallis had served variously in the Indian Army with below units;

- Guides Cavalry
- 81st Pioneers
- 1st Madras Pioneers
- Corps of Madras Pioneers
- 7th Rajput Regiment

On the not unreasonable assumption that the badge might have Indian associations (1st Madras Pioneers, thence the Corps of Madras Pioneers both used a standing 'Elephant' in their insignia) I sounded out Captain Ashok Nath, on this, and he too is stumped, as to his knowledge and archives it is not an Elephant of a pattern of any Indian Army unit, whether regular, volunteer or state forces that he knows of.

As the mixed bag of insignia contained a set of Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps badges (one of the Wallis family was a resident in Ceylon), and I know that Wallis served on attachment in Burma in the inter-war years, it is also possible that the badge may have Ceylon or Burma connections.

It is silver or w/m (no marks), and measures approx 35mm x 25mm

As it is appears too thick to have been a collar badge (it's so bulbous I was not able to get a good scan pic of the reverse using my flat-bed scanner), I am leaning to it being more likely 'Pouch' box badge - or even an item worn on 'Horse' leather.

It may not be military, but of a civil uniformed govermenent department.

What is more certain is that the presence of the original stout silver or w/m 'lugs' and split cotter pin, on the reverse predicate against the badge being something touristy, or some other commercial colonial 'fancy' of the early 20th Century.

Even if no one can positively identify it, I would be interested to hear from anyone who has encountered, or owns a similar badge, and from where they sourced it.

In advance thanks.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elephant Obv.jpg (31.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Elephant Obverse Scaled.jpg (30.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Elephant Rev.jpg (97.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 01-07-14, 05:04 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Mark,
I don't recognise it as a British Army badge as such.
Looks like it might be "Indian" silver?
Other than that..... its an odd item indeed and good luck
with your search.
David
Old 11-07-14, 03:30 PM

Mark

I agree with Ashok: not Indian Army. Just possibly one of the State Forces units but I would have expected that he would know that. The engraving on the elephant itself is very unlike any military badge I've come across, though the fastener has a definite 'service issue' look to it. Definitely Indian/Asian made by someone who'd seen/.worked with military badges but I'd guess civilian. Perhaps a club crest or something similar. Interesting piece!