British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-07-12, 08:12 PM

There is an image of similar uniform on the website captioned 2007 (incorrect dress) the uniform mentioned in post 59 also has RAC buttons.

http://www.paoyeomanry.co.uk/LYBluesDress.htm

Marc
PS. Sorry Dave.
Old 24-07-12, 08:28 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Marc,

No need for you to apologise mate, you are only highlighting the facts but a certain " BOFF " needs to say something, particularly in the light of my remarks in post #53, what price do you put on my embarrassment ???

Dave.
Old 25-07-12, 12:09 AM

Looks like a Tudor Crowned arm badge to me above Sgt Signals Instructor stripes, has some one dropped a clanger re the Tudor Crowned Badge

Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 25-07-12, 08:13 AM

Hi Malc,

Yes, because a certain member who know's it all, told me in no uncertain terms that mine was wrong, I not only slagged off a dealer on the south coast but I also told Robin Hodges that he should try to get his facts straight when writing a book, how embarrassing is that ?

I scrapped the arm badge recently, shown are photo's of how my cloth arm badges are mounted ( a large photo album ? ) and the second photo shows where the KC badge was.

So not only have I not got the badge but I have also made a dick-head of myself because I took the word of a so called expert ! I asked Mike to remove my MBA title, it had been fun but wasn't really necessary, I think the term " boff " should be scrubbed as well, oh and yes, I really am bloody annoyed, he had better prove that the photo's shown my Marc are wrong, otherwise he has lost all his credibility with me.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg some shoulder badges 058.jpg (77.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg some shoulder badges 059.jpg (63.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 25-07-12, 08:27 AM

Dave,

I'm not sure who you are getting at here but if it is me then I do stand behind the comments that I have posted here in this thread in regard to the change of crowns in insignia of British Army badges.

If you would like to see the chapter that I have written on the subject then send me an email address and you can read further.

Guys, I'm afraid that this offer is not open to other members.

Regards

Chris
Old 25-07-12, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

If I understand it correctly Dave is upset because he bought a mint and unworn k/c badge and was then led to beleive that the yeomanry regt do not wear it. Instead it was stated that they only wear a q/c one.

It would appear that someone has now sewn a k/c badge on to a No 1 dress tunic and it is this that 54 Bty has a photo of.

Either the statement about the k/c not being worn was wrong or since it was made someone has made up the jacket. It is not inconceivable that this was by someone in the yeomanry becasue he could not get a q/c one or by a civilain to make up a jacket.
Old 25-07-12, 09:37 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your offer but you needn't go to that inconvenience, I have re-read what you had to say and obviously, I cannot argue against your research and indeed knowledge, oh, this current ' rant ' is not aimed at you, we cannot attack members personally but there are not many " boffs " on this forum ??

The particular member went to great lengths to convince me that the badge I had was wrong but by the same standards, he needs to convince me that the photo's shown in Marc's second post are wrong also, particularly the Sergeant on church parade.

Alan,

Thanks also for your points of view and again I can agree with you that this could be made up, I am however having trouble getting my head around Marc's second post where there are clearly two photos's of the Tudor crowned badge.

One being worn by a Sergeant on church parade in 1969 and the other being shown above a Sergeants chevrons and described as a Sgt Signals Instructor, these photo's are on the web site of the Leicestershire Yeomanry Association ?

I am continually banging on about my lack of knowledge but once again, in this instance, I need clarity or am I wrong to ask because of my apparent ignorance ??

Dave.
Old 25-07-12, 10:15 AM

Dave,

After collecting seriously for 40 odd years I am still learning about badges of the Kings Liverpools. I have a personal policy not to pass comments on the originality or otherwise of badges posted on the Forum, one reason being that I can think of at least half a dozen items I have let go because I thought they were wrong, only to kick myself years later when further evidence has come to light to show that I had let go of some very interesting items.

Dont forget that opinions passed on badges here are just that - Opinions . The vast majority of serving soldiers do not have the obsession with badges that collectors do and often wear whatever is available whether it is right or wrong.

I still acquire items that I hope may have been worn. I put these on one side in the hope that one day I will get the evidence to prove that they are right or wrong.

It is easy for me to say so but it is the fact that one can never say never in this hobby that makes it so fascinating.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 25-07-12, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your offer but you needn't go to that inconvenience, I have re-read what you had to say and obviously, I cannot argue against your research and indeed knowledge, oh, this current ' rant ' is not aimed at you, we cannot attack members personally but there are not many " boffs " on this forum ??

The particular member went to great lengths to convince me that the badge I had was wrong but by the same standards, he needs to convince me that the photo's shown in Marc's second post are wrong also, particularly the Sergeant on church parade.
OK Dave,

This badge looks like a bit of an issue and I am quite willing to let you have the chapter called a 'Change of Crowns' for you to go through. It contains the reasons why the crown was changed from Tudor to St. Edwards, when this occurred, the documents that ordered the change and also examples where this did not happen. All this is referenced to official documents.

You may be able to pick out some bits and pieces from it for you to help sort this out.

I'm off to bed now (Monday night) but if you would like to take a gander then send me an email address via PM and I'll get a copy of the chapter to you in about 20 hours time after a kip and a day at work.

Regards

Chris
Old 25-07-12, 11:03 AM

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that, I do understand what you are saying re people's opinions but in the case of my badge, the facts were pretty much rammed down my throat ?

Chris,

The badge isn't the issue here, nor is what you and the "boff " have said about the Tudor crown etc, my issue now is to see several examples of the badge in question being shown on uniforms, rightly or wrongly, also seeing it being worn on parade does make me wonder ??

Do we really know, despite all the regulations under the sun, what could have transpired all those years ago ?? and people such as I know less than most !!

Dave.
Old 14-10-12, 05:38 PM

Default The dazzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
Hi All

This thread is a continuation of another...... see "The LDY" in the "General Topics" section.

There are two "genuine" Adonised Aluminium badges for the LDYPAO. From 1957 to 1963 the Other ranks wore the brass & white metal badge that then became issue to Officers only on the introduction of the AA badge in 1963.

1957 O/R BR Pattern Number : 17372 (Gilt Metal & White Metal)

Below is a comaprison to show the differences in the detail of each badge. The Post 1970 Pattern is known as "The Dazzler" by the LDYPAO personel, the reason for this is evident as the gold is so bright on the main body of the badge that it makes it hard to actually see any detail in bright light.

1963 O/R AA Pattern Number : 18437 (Slider is stamped J.R.GAUNT LONDON for an early issue badge or J.R.GAUNT B'HAM for a later issue badge)
1970 O/R AA Pattern Number : N/A (Actual manufacture date is not known at the moment and is to be confirmed, slider is stamped J.R.GAUNT B'HAM only)

1. The Rose Petals and Crown are combined in the post 1970.
2. The St Edwards Crown is wider and appears to have no orb on the post 1970.
3. "Bert's Crest" is thinner, in lower relief, and of a poor quality on the post 1970.
4. The ribbon ends are more extended on the post 1970.
5. The shank is longer (not sure if this is relevant) on the post 1970.

"The Dazzler" would have been worn only as a last resort by soldiers of LDYPAO post 1970 (if we couldnt purchase a 1963 pattern), otherwise it was painted dark brown (then wiped) and used for the field in our Berets.

NB:- There is a third AA badge that has a completley flat "Bert's Crest", with little or no detail. Its not known if this is a legitamate badge at this point, but it is based on the 1963 pattern. It was not worn in the Regiment/Squadron of the LDYPAO.

In 1992 we were also issued with a "Patch" badge to wear on the Tank Park or in the Field (we could wear AA Badge or patch). The patch became popular as it didnt snag in vehicle Cam' Nets when tactical on Excercise.

Great info and photos of the Dazzler, one i will try and find.