British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-12-16, 09:50 AM

Default Young Citizens Volunteer Corps 14Th Bn RIR

I have this badge listed on eBay, I have had a question with regard to the crown being narrow from a collector of over 30yrs. A couple of friends have seen this badge and give it the thumbs up. I do not want to sell fakes There have been offers/interest on it which I have ignored but that is still no guarantee.
If anyone has any opinion positive or negative it would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5451.jpg (76.4 KB, 143 views)
Old 07-12-16, 09:51 AM

Rear image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5453.jpg (63.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 07-12-16, 10:06 AM

Another rear image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5452.jpg (70.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-12-16, 10:40 AM

Paul,

Its not one I would buy.

I dont like the metal, the patina nor the proportions.

I would seek further opinions though.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 07-12-16, 10:46 AM

Thanks Simon,
To add to my confusion
The person who posed the question about the badge has sent a further message saying he has only seen one other similar a few years ago and he will be bidding on it.
I will await any further opinions and make a decision wether to remove it or not
Paul
Old 07-12-16, 06:21 PM

I have posted on this type before- it has a blob or distortion on the left of wrist as viewed. I bought one as an example at Farnham a few years ago and it was sold as a copy/restrike. They are not as common as the usual copies but have cropped up on ebay now and then and some have made good money. My one had a copper like slider. I'm no Irish expert but it is not a version I would buy as original. Regards, Paul.
Old 07-12-16, 06:46 PM

Thanks Paul
Despite recieving another eBay message who must of viewed the forum saying it was fine I am going to remove it.
Paul

Last edited by Paul Spellman; 07-12-16 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-12-16, 01:16 AM

This badge is not a die I have seen often, compared to the die that is generally though of as being genuine this one has;

1) a shorter, fatter stem.
2) A larger hand compared to the leaves,
3) two distinctive long defined lines visible on the palm

It is a strike quite different from the regular fake.

I am not sure what to make of it personally and note Wardog's comment about his purchase of a similar version .

John
Old 08-12-16, 04:53 AM

Here is the thread I mention.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...l+Irish+Rifles
I recall I have seen these make good money, but not the amount you would expect for a good one- and no one jumped in to say this type is good-so I think it is a badge to avoid to be on the safe side. Regards, Paul.
Old 08-12-16, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Here is the thread I mention.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...l+Irish+Rifles
I recall I have seen these make good money, but not the amount you would expect for a good one- and no one jumped in to say this type is good-so I think it is a badge to avoid to be on the safe side. Regards, Paul.
Other than on eBay! where I have been accused of finishing the badge early to sell off site breaking the rules, others have messaged if the badge was still available they would be happy with it and the person who originally put the question to me about the narrow crown which prompted me to post here would still like it. I am surprised that the badge was on day 4 of a 5 day listing and none of the usual flagging on here or even a message on eBay with concerns was recieved with at one point over 20 watchers until the post I put here,it subsequently went down to 10.
It does seem I could be in a bit of a predicament over what to do, but the badge will remain unsold until I know better
Paul
Old 08-12-16, 01:30 PM

I was one of the watchers Paul. As I say I am no expert with this badge, and so on reflection on my previous thread I should not have come to a state of mind 100% against this type-only based on no one on the forum giving it a positive OK. Either way I hope more can be confirmed about this type. We need to hear of one issued to an individual, clearly in a picture taken in the Great War or a badge that's been in a collection 60 years or so. Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 08-12-16 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-12-16, 04:54 PM

Paul,
I appreciate yours and other posts on the thread. I am a little disappointed that the person who sent me one of the messages on eBay that it was good before I removed it (after obviously seeing the first couple of posts in this thread) did not comment or explain why on here.
It seems to be sitting neutral at the moment not a known real or fake one. It would be nice if any evidence turns up either way.
Thanks
Paul
Old 08-12-16, 10:13 PM

It would be easy to mistake this badge for the accepted good version if you had not seen an example before. It is obviously not the known fake strike- and until I bought my example I had in my head to look for a badge with a narrow base to the crown. I wonder if all who contacted you stated they knew this badge to be different from the usual good type but that it was still good? Or perhaps it was the case that some had not spotted that this type was a different strike from the usual one thought to be good? Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 08-12-16 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-12-16, 02:22 AM

Just found this- http://www.britisharmycapbadgesandmi...h=50037&phqu=1 Page 52. Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 11-12-16 at 02:34 AM.
Old 13-01-21, 02:45 PM

Default Irish badge

Hi All.. Can u please give me your opinion on the badge.. Just started collecting and had this about 2 months.