British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-07-16, 11:55 AM

Default 1856 pattern sword bayonet

I have a couple of bayonets but they are not really my thing but I picked this one up this morning for very little money.

From my limited books on bayonets it seems to be a Pattern 1856 Sword Bayonet but the interesting thing is the inscription on the top edge of the blade which is something I generally associate with French Bayonets.

The best I can make of the inscription is " M--- Imp-- lat-- Julliet 1859". On one side of the blade there are two marks- in an oval the letter "S" with a star above and another oval with something like a crown over a helmet (?)

If anyone can tell me more about the item from the above and the photos I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3068.jpg (79.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3069.jpg (84.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3070.jpg (64.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3071.jpg (16.9 KB, 31 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 31-07-16, 01:30 PM

Bonjour Peter,

C'est curieux ce marquage de la "Manufacture impériale de Chatellrault Juillet 1859" C'est une lame française. Les autres poinçons sont ceux des contrôleurs.

Les plaquettes en bois m'intriguent beaucoup. Remontage???

Quelle est la longueur de la baïonnette et de la lame?

"It is curious that the marking "Manufacture impériale de Châtellrault juillet 1859" This is a French blade. Other hallmarks are those controllers.

Wood chips intrigue me. Reassembly ???
What is the length of the bayonet and the blade? "
Sorry for my English : a french collector

Jean-Paul
Old 31-07-16, 02:10 PM

Jean- Paul,

Many thanks for your reply, you have confirmed what I thought, that is that the blade was made in France. I do have another example of this pattern bayonet and the grips are leather and not wood so altogether the whole item is unusual.

I have heard of German blades being used in British bayonets but not French blades.

I have just discovered two more marks on the bayonet ,in the grove on the side of the grip there is a small letter "D" and what looks like "V8" ( the 8 is very clear )

The bayonet is just under 70cm long and the blade 56cm long.

Please do not apologise for your English, my French is almost non existent. In my mock O level French I got 5% and the comment - Dreadful.

Un grand merci pour votre réponse , vous avez confirmé ce que je pensais , ce que la lame a été faite en France . J'ai un autre exemple de ce modèle baïonnette et les poignées sont en cuir et non le bois ainsi tout à fait tout l'article est inhabituel .

Je l'ai entendu parler de lames allemandes utilisées dans les baïonnettes britanniques , mais les lames non françaises .

Je viens de découvrir deux autres marques sur la baïonnette, dans le bosquet sur ​​le côté de la poignée il y a une petite lettre « D » et ce qui ressemble à " V8 " (le 8 est très clair )

La baïonnette est un peu moins de 70 cm de long et 56cm de longue lame .

Thanks again

Regards

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3073.jpg (64.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3074.jpg (46.7 KB, 17 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 31-07-16 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-08-16, 09:43 AM

Hi Peter , this is a French bayonet , illustrated in the book Le Nouvel Atlas de la Baionnette de Collection as ABC No 1869 and is described as having a French 1842 blade but a hilt inspired by the British 1856/58 bayonet . It states that the rifle it is intended for is not known.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 032.jpg (47.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-08-16, 10:41 AM

Thanks RAD,

Much appreciated.

Peter

Old 11-08-16, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Thanks RAD,

Much appreciated.

Peter
A pleasure Peter , I am more of a bayonet collector than a badge collector.
Old 11-08-16, 12:03 PM

RAD,

I don't like it when people ask questions like the one I am about to ask BUT as the bayonet does not appear in "World Bayonets " by Anthony Carter or in the online bayonet identification sites that I have found, is the bayonet a rare model ?

Peter

Old 07-01-17, 05:01 PM

Hi Peter, (I am new to this forum I did post a reply not sure where it went) Any way back to the bayonet, I'm pretty sure its an 1886p Portuguese sword bayonet used on the Kropatschek rifle, and the "s" stands for the STEYR factory, Hope this helps