British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-11-14, 10:37 PM

Default ZARP helmet

The clincher as to authenticity of the helmet comes from these three pics - the last one is a ZAR Staatsartillerie dress cap, and the 1st two are stamps on the helmet I have just bought. It seems that A Johnston & Co apparently would have been the Transvaal distributor/wholesaler/middleman (Dutch = Leverancier) for Christys. Christys still exist as a hat and helmet maker in the UK; I will
contact them to see if they have the order books from the 1890s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1750-1.jpg (45.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2191-3.jpg (69.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg ZAR_Staatsartillerie_dress_cap_maker-1.jpg (91.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-03-15, 04:07 PM

For the interest of others, and to get any commnets, I am showing pictures etc. of my recent acquisition. It is a helmet of the Zuid Afrikaansche Republiek Politie (ZARP; South African Mounted Police).
As far as I am aware, there are no other OR helmets in existence, I know of one officer's helmet in South Africa.

The ZARP was the mounted and foot police of the ZAR. From 1881 to 1896 the ZARPS were part of the Artillery and then began a separate existence as an independent entity. In 1899, the force consisted of 10 officers, 100 NCO’s and 1400 men. The majority of the force was foot police but they all took to the field and entered the Second Boer War as mounted forces. The ZARPs fought well and earned a reputation for their tenacity, skill and courage. In peacetime they carried swords, carbines and revolvers. During the Anglo-Boer war the ZARPs carried the Mauser rifle. The “fighting” ZARPs accompanied the Boer forces from the ZAR that invaded Natal. They participated in many major and minor engagements but gained enduring fame at the Battle of Dalmanutha (Bergendal) where they were destroyed as a unit. Individual members as well as the last contingent of the ZARPs continued to fight in the ZAR during the guerrilla and final stage of the Second Boer War.

This helmet turned up in England in a Khaki cover, looking for all the world like a Tommy's foreign service helmet. The surprise being when the khaki cover is removed!
Being in such good condition, I think it was probably looted from stores in Pretoria in 1900. It is made in England by Christies, the distributor (leverancier) being A Johnston and Co. who also provided the parade headgear for ZAR artillery. The helmet plate has never been off the helmet, hence the bright gilt on the concealed back of the badge.

The photos can be seen here, including pictures kindly provided by members of this forum:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zwh6eqmhl...4nh9ZzGXa?dl=0
Old 01-03-15, 05:19 PM

You will have probably discovered by now, but Christy's (who were based in Stockport) went out of business quite a few years ago.

Dave.
Old 01-03-15, 05:49 PM

Hi, I see in your excellent pictures that they had ZAR on the collar. In Cursons book he has an illustration of the letters, but ZARP. Do you have any pictures showing this ZARP? Do you know when they could have been worn? Maybe earlier or later than just the ZAR? Regards Andrew
Old 01-03-15, 08:52 PM

Andrew,
I am really no expert - I would suggest ask M C Heunis if you want chapter and verse (email me for his contact details).
But from what I can make out:
- The helmet plate has the monogram of ZAR (no P)
- All the uniforms depicted in the photos have ZAR on the right side of the collar, and either nothing on the left (most men) or bearing a number (some photos).
- However, in the period photos I note at least 2 styles of jacket (7 buttons, 6 above the belt, or concealed fittings - NCOs?) and 2 styles of belt buckle (snake clasp and disc type) and boots and shoes. It's apparent that NCOs have a spike on the helmet. I wonder if there may were different phases of uniform, or that mounted police and those on foot were differently kitted out?
Also note in two pics the ZARPs are equipped with Lee Metfords, apparently these were courtesy of Dr Jameson & his raiders.
Rob
Old 04-03-15, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
Thanks for the ZARP scans. There must be some quality Staats Arty uniform pictures out there somewhere ...
The National Archives in Pretoria had few albums showing Staatsartillerie uniforms about ten years ago. Hopefully they are still there!

The uniform artist Andy May did some colour artwork of Staatsarty. and ZARP uniforms as well a few years ago.