British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-02-22, 09:37 AM

Default Copy Cap Badge?

Advice required on these badges please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1260817.jpg (34.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg P1260818.jpg (34.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg P1260820.jpg (40.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg P1260819.jpg (42.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-02-22, 10:24 AM

If you take your pictures on a darker background rather than white the badges should show up better.
Old 08-02-22, 10:46 AM

Default reply

Many thanks point taken.
Old 08-02-22, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

I think you can rule out the 18 H as being genuine. The 'aged' back and lugs don't look right even from the limited detail on the photo.

The KDG eagle looks correct for the brass WW2 era badge with it's distinctive shaped coronet although they appear not to have been widely worn but replaced by w/m ones bought by the regiment.
Old 08-02-22, 12:59 PM

The Armoured Motor Battery, 18H and North of Ireland I.Y. are fake I’m afraid.
Old 08-02-22, 02:21 PM

Default cap badge.

I spoke to D.N.W about the Armoured car battery badge before i bid for it and they assured me that it was genuine. Collectors take note. Looking at their latest militaria section in their currant catalogue they have what appears to be a restrike R.M. badge. I have had the A.C.B. badge too long to send it back. Mores the pity.
Old 08-02-22, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Vet View Post
I spoke to D.N.W about the Armoured car battery badge before i bid for it and they assured me that it was genuine. Collectors take note. Looking at their latest militaria section in their currant catalogue they have what appears to be a restrike R.M. badge. I have had the A.C.B. badge too long to send it back. Mores the pity.
I am sorry to hear that, unfortunately DNW aren’t badge experts.

Some genuine examples here…

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...7&postcount=30

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...68&postcount=1
Old 09-02-22, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I am sorry to hear that, unfortunately DNW aren’t badge experts.

Some genuine examples here…

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...7&postcount=30

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...68&postcount=1
Hi Luke

I see that the images you have chosen from previous threads as accurate representations of this badge are both on lugs. Was this intentional Luke? Do you feel there may be some doubt on authenticity surrounding those found on sliders?

I’m certainly vexed by this unit as the information I have about them is pretty desperate. From my embarrassingly limited knowledge, I understand that they were formed around a handful of armoured cars and motorcycles in 1916 and shipped off to East Africa. So not a very sizeable unit, yet one that it appears had its own cap badge. I’ve seen mention of a 6th AMB (in the Salonika campaign), which would make me think there were other AMB’s or LAMB’s, but no other cap badges with different numbers to my knowledge.

I did read an opinion on the Forum some time ago, that the badge wasn’t a cap at all, but a collar (though I think there could be some mix up here with the Royal Naval Air Service Armoured Car Section collar). If that were true it would certainly support them being found on lugs.

Conversely, if the badge was originally designed to be worn on headdress (and I’m discounting the solar helmet for East Africa here) then going on the assumption that the majority of cap badges during this period were fitted with a slider, that raises the question with me - why lugs.

I do have a badge on a slider, bought from Bosleys years ago. I’m not particularly hung up on whether it’s right or not; I guess I’m just struggling to iron out the obvious kinks in my knowledge and whether both slider and lugs can be correct?

To make matters worse for me in the only photo of this unit I’ve seen, everyone in it appeared to be wearing their own regimental or corp badge (and of course no collars).

Think I’ll have a lie down.
Mark
Old 09-02-22, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
Hi Luke

I see that the images you have chosen from previous threads as accurate representations of this badge are both on lugs. Was this intentional Luke? Do you feel there may be some doubt on authenticity surrounding those found on sliders?

I’m certainly vexed by this unit as the information I have about them is pretty desperate. From my embarrassingly limited knowledge, I understand that they were formed around a handful of armoured cars and motorcycles in 1916 and shipped off to East Africa. So not a very sizeable unit, yet one that it appears had its own cap badge. I’ve seen mention of a 6th AMB (in the Salonika campaign), which would make me think there were other AMB’s or LAMB’s, but no other cap badges with different numbers to my knowledge.

I did read an opinion on the Forum some time ago, that the badge wasn’t a cap at all, but a collar (though I think there could be some mix up here with the Royal Naval Air Service Armoured Car Section collar). If that were true it would certainly support them being found on lugs.

Conversely, if the badge was originally designed to be worn on headdress (and I’m discounting the solar helmet for East Africa here) then going on the assumption that the majority of cap badges during this period were fitted with a slider, that raises the question with me - why lugs.

I do have a badge on a slider, bought from Bosleys years ago. I’m not particularly hung up on whether it’s right or not; I guess I’m just struggling to iron out the obvious kinks in my knowledge and whether both slider and lugs can be correct?

To make matters worse for me in the only photo of this unit I’ve seen, everyone in it appeared to be wearing their own regimental or corp badge (and of course no collars).

Think I’ll have a lie down.
Mark
Whilst awaiting Lukes answer could you post front and back photos of your badge from Bosleys please.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 09-02-22, 09:13 PM

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a slidered badge Mark, that I recall. May I see this badge please?

I too have read it was a collar badge but do not know how accurate this is.

The 1st Armoured Motor Battery isn’t in my area of collecting so not something I’ve researched.

The Marsh catalogue fakes however are something I’ve studied and I’m sure the badge in this thread with the wonky crown is from that stable.
Old 09-02-22, 10:36 PM

Hi Gents

There have been a couple of 'slidered' examples shown on the Forum previously. Member Deejayvuu had one I remember - also from Bosleys, however I'm unable to locate that particular thread at the moment.

I attach an old scan of the one I bought from Bosleys some years back. I will endeavour to take a couple of better photographs, front and back, in the day light tomorrow.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Armoured Motor Battery obv.jpeg (32.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-02-22, 10:41 PM

And I completely agree Luke, the one shown at the beginning of the thread is from the Marsh Catalogue. Not only the crown and other distinguishing features, but also a ruddy great pole sticking out of the back of the cab.
All the best.

Last edited by dubaiguy; 09-02-22 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-02-22, 11:05 PM

Is this your badge Mark? Found it in this thread:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...71&postcount=4

If so I like it a lot. Certainly if I saw it for sale I’d have a go at it.

Be nice to find some photos of the badge in wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 03276A66-5D33-4830-BA16-07F6763BEC61.jpeg (60.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpeg 900F6312-455D-4038-AB9C-4698F1FEE976.jpeg (54.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-02-22, 07:14 AM

Oh dear, that certainly does speak volumes, it make you wonder who their militaria consultant is these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Vet View Post
Old 10-02-22, 08:03 AM

This link from the GWF..https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/...n-east-africa/
Shows men of the 1st AMB, the soldiers appear to be wearing the said cap badge.
Chris