British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-02-22, 09:19 AM

Default RAF ADEN PROTECTORATE LEVIES

Can one of our RAF collectors tell me that when the RAF ADEN PROTECTORATE LEVIES were authorized to wear the RAF Eagle and did they wear it on both arms or just the one please?
Jerry
engr9266
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAF ADEN PROTECTORATE LEVIES#.jpg (75.5 KB, 45 views)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)

Last edited by engr9266; 06-02-22 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-02-22, 12:38 PM

Hi Jerry, hopefully I can help, sort of…

Although it was created to assist the Royal Air Force, the unit in question was just the ‘Aden Protectorate Levies’ (no ‘RAF’), which was formed in Aden on 1st April 1928, exactly ten years after the RAF itself. Its role was to protect RAF bases in the country, and to help the local police when needed, especially on matters concerning servicemen. Although the NCOs and Other Ranks were drawn from the country, its officers were all British, although later some Indian junior officers and NCOs were seconded.

During the war the Levies numbers expanded and an anti-aircraft Flight was formed but their duties remained the same. The British and Indian Army officers were also replaced by officers from the RAF Regiment, which was formed in 1942, and they had their own hospital which was the RAF hospital (with RAF staff) at Khormaksar. Despite their role, the RAF staffed hospital, the RAF Regiment officers and the fact it was under RAF control until 1957, the APL never wore the RAF shoulder eagle. For the first 25 years or more a simple brass ‘APL’ title was worn at the base of the epaulette although an ‘ADEN PROTECTORATE LEVIES’ cloth title was worn later on.

The Iraq Levies did however wear the RAF shoulder eagle. They were named so in 1919 although they had already been in existence a couple of years. From 1928 the Iraq Levies essentially took on the same job as the APL but in Iraq of course, and came under Air Ministry control. From 1942 they were permitted to wear the red/tan shoulder eagle, while their parachute unit also wore the maroon ‘Airborne’ shoulder title, the former being retained until the disbandment of the Iraq Levies in 1955.

On an endnote, the eagle on your example looks to be the post 1972 shape.

Hope that helps…
Old 06-02-22, 03:25 PM

I have heard of the Levies but this is an informative post regards there formation and history. Regards, Paul.
Old 06-02-22, 04:16 PM

Padre, Thanks for the information. So the Iraq Levies wore the RAF eagle.
The one shown was just for the post as I do not have a eagle from the time period.
engr9266

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 06-02-22, 04:55 PM

Hi engr9266

Yes, it was the Iraq Levies who wore the shoulder eagles, and on both shoulders as per the RAF. Only the red version, and many photo photos seem to indicate the printed version, but whether woven was also worn is unknown.

Wardog - Its hard to find information on the Levies, both Iraq and Aden, in particular relating to insignia. The was/is a website up which has some good photos, but even the author had little outside general info and veteran's recollections!
Old 06-02-22, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Hi engr9266

Wardog - Its hard to find information on the Levies, both Iraq and Aden, in particular relating to insignia. The was/is a website up which has some good photos, but even the author had little outside general info and veteran's recollections!
I agree regarding information for the Levies, but wonder if you have come across 'Never Not Ready: The History of RAF Regiment Parachute Units 1942-2012', by Graeme Deeley - the first chapter (about 50 pages from memory), is dedicated to them. The book is 652 pages in total. Published by Barney Books - www.barnybooks.co.uk - at £25 an excellent source. Try also: nevernotready@hotmail.co.uk

Regards
Mike
Old 07-02-22, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
I agree regarding information for the Levies, but wonder if you have come across 'Never Not Ready: The History of RAF Regiment Parachute Units 1942-2012', by Graeme Deeley - the first chapter (about 50 pages from memory), is dedicated to them. The book is 652 pages in total. Published by Barney Books - www.barnybooks.co.uk - at £25 an excellent source. Try also: nevernotready@hotmail.co.uk

Regards
Mike
Yes I do have a copy, I think after seeing it noted on this forum, and would recommend it to anyone interested in the RAF Regiment, RAF Airborne Squadrons etc.

I had forgotten about the early chapters so thanks for reminding me, I've not had it off the shelf for a while!