British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-09-10, 09:42 AM
Badge Guru

Hello Spreadeagle,

My post regarding the number of men served was an addition to what Alan has already said about rarity of this badge in his last post. It provides us with a round about figure of the number of genuine cap badges issued. Although in the case of this particular Yeomanry they did on the most not wear the cap badge on the solar topee in the field.
Old 16-09-10, 10:21 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Thought i would post pictures of the backs,is the gaunt mark on the slider one of those that has been faked or reproduced by gaunt?

Malc
Malc,
sorry for the late contribution, I've been sunning myself in Egypt. Alan is quite right here, the slider shape is wrong (uniform and too short) for a correct period badge. The Large Font Gaunt mark is also one found on restrikes, being feint and shallow struck when compared with the genuine mark (also a late/post WW2? indicator, which is wrong for this particular badge).

Here are my GM and Bzned examples, the later having no gaps in the leaves at 3 and 9 O'clock... but does have the blemishes above "NR" of Yeomanry the base of "A". The GM badge has the gaps! Also note the length of sliders and that they protrude below the base of the badges (copies tend to be level with lower edge of badges).

As for unit establishment (numbers of men), this should not be used as a hard and fast rule for the number of badges in circulation! Each man would have at least two and there would probably also be manufacturers/WD minimum order numbers?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG8760.jpg (44.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8761.jpg (42.2 KB, 110 views)
Old 16-09-10, 10:42 AM
Badge Guru

I think we have a slight difference of opinion regarding the number of cap badges Andy. I am actually thinking that some men who were transfered from another units may not of in fact had a cap badge at all! I dont think I've ever come across a OR WW1 grouping with more than two identical cap badges, only in some of my WW2 groupings have I found duplicate OR cap badges.

Cap badges were something of a luxery during the Mesopotamia campaign it is why we see lots of sand cast badges from this period particulary to the ANZAC Mounted Division who the Lincs Yeo were part of. When my own relative left his unit he was asked to return all his badges despite the fact these were his pre war badges, these would later be replaced by his new unit who supplied him with a sand cast cap and shoulder titles. This is one of the reasons I collect sand cast badges.
Old 16-09-10, 01:44 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
I think we have a slight difference of opinion regarding the number of cap badges Andy. I am actually thinking that some men who were transfered from another units may not of in fact had a cap badge at all! I dont think I've ever come across a OR WW1 grouping with more than two identical cap badges, only in some of my WW2 groupings have I found duplicate OR cap badges.

Cap badges were something of a luxery during the Mesopotamia campaign it is why we see lots of sand cast badges from this period particulary to the ANZAC Mounted Division who the Lincs Yeo were part of. When my own relative left his unit he was asked to return all his badges despite the fact these were his pre war badges, these would later be replaced by his new unit who supplied him with a sand cast cap and shoulder titles. This is one of the reasons I collect sand cast badges.
JJ,
no difference of opinion! Probably no more than a couple of thousand genuine examples of these originally produced! A scarce badge and taking into consideration losses, those polished to death, those returned to stores and destroyed in 1919, there are probably not that many "Genuine" examples in circulation!

Andy
Old 16-09-10, 02:19 PM

Looks like you're struggling to get an opinion here Alan! I was in the same position myself, having a badge which looked just about right but the same time leaving in a little niggle in the mind, then I managed to get one with the unfretted ribbon tip (on page 1 of this thread).

I have seen these shanks before but they have been on what turned out to be copy badges (8th Leeds Rifles and a blackened blank scroll South Lancs spring to mind from those I've had) and I think Dragonz-Steve in NZ mentioned when they first started appearing on a thread a while back. Maybe there were two dies, one with the skinny crown and another from which the copies eminate? I'd hang onto it though, that slider mark is there for a reason.

As a side swipe, it's funny how those of us with the die fault examples are happy they're genuine, when most of the time other badges with faults are dismissed out of hand!!
Old 18-09-10, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the advice Keith,I will keep this badge for the time being.I will have to keep my eye open and check the dealers lists for an unvoided example.
Old 02-03-13, 06:07 AM

Smile Lincolnshire Yeomanry WM

Hi all,

May I have a opinions on this recent addition - a WM Lincolnshire Yeomanry badge (K&K 1483) - GM and bronze noted in K&K but WM as well in Cox 1355.

I have read a number of LY posts and well am still a little unsure as appreciate a commonly faked badge.

It is lugged and a shorter crown than the GM version I have that has a slider.

Over to you all, cheers Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yeo.54.f.jpg (98.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg yeo.54.r.jpg (79.9 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by mooke07; 02-03-13 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-03-13, 06:33 AM
Former Member

Dean,
I'm not a fan, the crown looks wrong and from the rear the detail looks very "Reproduction"!

Andy
Old 02-03-13, 06:51 AM

Red face

Thanks Andy - here is my GM version, crown extends further, cheers Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yeo.55.f.jpg (89.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg yeo.56.r.jpg (76.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 02-03-13, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

I have merged the post into the main Lincs Yeo one for easy comparsions between posts and photos.
Old 02-03-13, 07:37 AM

Thanks Alan - appreciated.
Old 29-03-13, 05:14 PM

This badge has seen some attention and still remains as sturdy as ever! First it was fitted with a slider, then a pin back was applied and finally it has loops. Some other Lincolnshire Yeo badges in my album.

Gar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0529.jpg (65.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0532.jpg (52.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 05-04-13, 06:01 PM

Default Small Gaunt lettering

I have a gilded version with the SMALL Gaunt lettering and dot. Any thoughts?
Bill
Old 21-08-13, 05:11 AM

Hi all,

My friend has bought this cap badge. Prompt please original or not.
I think a fake:
1. WM
2. lugs

Over to you all, cheers Alexy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-295-1375660379.jpg (52.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg post-295-1375824041.jpg (82.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 12-04-19, 07:18 PM

Recently acquired this badge having never previously seen a WM version of this badge I regarded as genuine.

This one however is not the standard fake (like the previous 2 WM versions in this thread); it is also not from the Gaunt die which has been used to create re-strikes.

My iPhone photography and the lighting don’t do it any sort of justice sadly. But I can confirm the badge has genuine wear and age, good reverse detail and is a nice thick strike. The loops are old and D shaped ‘growing’ out, the braze although heavily patina-ed in golden/yellow.

Re the dark colour on the back I’m certain it’s not chemical ageing - although it does look like it in my bad pic. Rather I believe it’s the remnants of old polish mixed with the metal that’s been abrased (not sure that’s a word) and then not cleaned off. The same crud was also on the front in the recesses however I cleaned it off with lemon juice and a toothbrush.

It’s perhaps worth noting the collection it was amongst (mix of good and bad) all appeared to have similar traces of leftover darkened polish... I suspect the previous owner was responsible and liked his display shiny.

My personal opinion and gut feeling is it’s real.

If anyone has a genuine WM badge to show it’d be appreciated. Comments welcome.

Luke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24CBB184-E9F6-4F91-96A7-E340D82E2739.jpg (98.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 3DA4B831-9B77-4022-B5A6-3746C5E862AF.jpg (88.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg BE516BA5-E180-4B6F-B6CE-ED816A207798.jpg (97.6 KB, 33 views)

Tags
lincolnshire, lincolnshire yeomanry