British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-06-18, 12:58 PM

Default Cape Garrison Artillery

Sharing pouch badge and helmet plates that I have in the collection to the Cape Garrison Artillery. I am aware that there are a few other versions ... if anyone has any different would be good to get a view on them

Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 1.jpg (86.2 KB, 87 views)
Old 10-06-18, 03:19 PM

Very nice collection. Well done. Regards Andrew
Old 10-06-18, 06:27 PM

Just out of curiosity, did the Cape Garrison Artillery post 1902 wear the same badges as the Cape Field Artillery, i.e., the 'gun' badge with CAPE COLONY in the scroll below the crown.
Cheers, Keith
Old 20-06-18, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
Just out of curiosity, did the Cape Garrison Artillery post 1902 wear the same badges as the Cape Field Artillery, i.e., the 'gun' badge with CAPE COLONY in the scroll below the crown.
Cheers, Keith
Hi Keith

The CGA wore the Cape Colony version cap badge through WW1, that I have photographic proof of. Up until when they changed that I am not sure of but suspect maybe even up to the change to Republic era badges.

Brian
Old 20-06-18, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Up until when they changed that I am not sure of but suspect maybe even up to the change to Republic era badges.
Didn't all artillery units adopt the SA Artillery corps badge in the 1930s?

Arthur
Old 20-06-18, 09:14 AM

Not that I am aware of, as the NFA continued to wear their NATAL versions for many years and suspect the other CF units might have done so as well?

Brian
Old 20-06-18, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Not that I am aware of, as the NFA continued to wear their NATAL versions for many years and suspect the other CF units might have done so as well?
You're right. I confused cap badges and helmet flashes. Some of the CF units adopted the SAA helmet flash during WW II.

CGA were incorporated into the SA Corps of Marines in 1951. I wonder if they kept their existing badge or changed to the SACM badge.

Arthur
Old 20-06-18, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Hi Keith

The CGA wore the Cape Colony version cap badge through WW1, that I have photographic proof of. Up until when they changed that I am not sure of but suspect maybe even up to the change to Republic era badges.

Brian
Hi Brian, thank you to yourself and Arthur for your replies,
Regards, Keith
Old 22-06-18, 05:06 AM

Sticking my neck out here, especially with so many S.A. Gentlemen on site, but are the badges in the first post to Cape Arty & Engineers, NOT to Cape Garrison Arty. I’m using “Owen’s” book for reference so that’s why I’m sticking my neck out! What started me looking was the fact that my P.A.O.C.V. Artillery looked so different from the badges shown. The badges shown are according to Owen, 132, 133, 138 and 139. Listed as either Cape Engineers or Cape Artillery & Engineer Volunteers. Best regards, David J.
Old 22-06-18, 09:03 AM

They're the same regiment, at different periods.

They started out in 1879 as the Cape Town Volunteer Engineers. In the late 1880s, they added a coast artillery "torpedo company", and changed their name to 'Garrison Artillery & Engineer Volunteers". In 1895/96, they gave up engineering, became solely a coast artillery unit, and changed their name to 'Cape Garrison Artillery'.

The changes in role and name during the 20th century were even more complicated! The regiment eventually ended up in the navy, with each battery being given a ship's name, and were disbanded in 1958.

Arthur
Old 28-07-18, 09:56 AM

And apparently reformed in the 1970s and now an ack-ack regt
Old 28-07-18, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhistry View Post
And apparently reformed in the 1970s and now an ack-ack regt
I believe the HAA elements of SA Corps of Marines were transferred back to the SA Artillery in 1955 and formed 4 HAA Regiment in the Cape Town area. This unit became of Cape Town University Regiment in 1960 and at some stage was converted to a LAA regiment. It was redesignated the Cape Garrison Artillery in 1974.

I am curious to know if the King's Banner/Colour presented to both the CGA and the NFA in 1905 and 1904 respectively for their service in the Anglo-Boer War still exist (laid-up perhaps in 1961) considering that neither modern unit under these names are the original units that existed at the time of that war.

Keith