British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-02-16, 12:33 PM

Default One of the 4 Bn. Tigers?

Hi

I hope I've put this in the right category, if not my apologies.

This little item has been sat in my study for years and I thought it was about time to try and find out more about it, as my knowledge of Infantry regiments is limited, and I'm hoping you chaps can help.

I would imagine this is a presentation piece? which comprises of a model/Toy Tiger mounted on a hardwood plinth, complete with a small metal plaque engraved 'One of the 4 bn. Tigers'.

What is perhaps more interesting is the brass plaque on the under side of the plinth is engraved presumably with the recipients name 'Major R.W.Hall'.

Its very nicely made, thought I have no idea what it might have been a presentation for?

I am thinking there is a Leicestershire regiment connection here? Can anyone recall a Major Hall?

I think the piece is post 1950, as the hollow cast Tiger was apparently made by Timpo from that time.

I would be interested in any comments or observations members may have.

Thanking you all in anticipation.

Cheers
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4th battalion 'Tiger' 004.jpg (49.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 4th battalion 'Tiger' 005.jpg (58.0 KB, 34 views)

The older I get ................the better I was !
Old 26-02-16, 06:58 PM

Royal Leicestershire Regt became the 4th Btn East Anglian Brigade when the Forester Brigade was disbanded in 1963. Then the 4th Btn Royal Anglian Regt when then Brigade system was scraped.
Old 27-02-16, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Royal Leicestershire Regt became the 4th Btn East Anglian Brigade when the Forester Brigade was disbanded in 1963. Then the 4th Btn Royal Anglian Regt when then Brigade system was scraped.
If it is not to do with the Leicesters could it be related to the Hampshire Regiment?

They had the nickname of the "Hampshire Tigers" and some were known as the "Tebourba Tigers" after the WW2 Tunisian battle:

I even seem to remember a "Tebourba Way" in Southampton some 40 odd years ago. Maybe it is still there?