British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > The Australian General Service Badge (Rising Sun)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-12-15, 10:33 PM

Default Pair of Tiptaft collars

Hi Guys,
Seasons greetings and a prosperous and safe new year.
I recently aquired a pair of WW1 rising sun collar dogs by Tiptaft Birmingham and so inscribed on the back of each badge. They are slightly smaller than other Aussie made collars in my collection. The condition of each is very similar and I guess have been together since the GW. The detail on each is also sharper and more clearly defined. The pics are not that great -sorry.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0001.jpg (38.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0003.jpg (40.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 15-12-15, 10:53 PM

Thanks Jim
The tiptaft made items were always a higher quality than most other manufacturers. Very nice mate. Now you need to put them with your tiptaft hat badge and titles.
BC
Old 16-12-15, 06:55 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi Jim

Great find, l have a couple of pairs and they are very nice and are better than the hat badges which have dags on the sides of the suns rays and dags should only be found on the back end of a sheep.

Merry Christmas mate and may all of your wishes be great badges, or in your case trench art.

Regards

Phil.
Old 16-12-15, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
Hi Jim

Great find, l have a couple of pairs and they are very nice and are better than the hat badges which have dags on the sides of the suns rays and dags should only be found on the back end of a sheep.

Merry Christmas mate and may all of your wishes be great badges, or in your case trench art.

Regards

Phil.
hi phil
im not sure about the dags on the hat badges. will have to have a look at mine. but from my badges they are superior strikes in every way.
will try and get some pics for you
bc
Old 22-12-15, 11:05 AM

Smile

G'day BC

I have a Tiptaft hat badge that has been in my family since WW 1 and it has dags on the sides of the suns rays, have a look under a magnafying glass and you will see what l mean. I recently got another slidered RS that really is a great strike and has nice smooth sides on the rays. I think that it is the nicest RS in my collection and I have about half a shoe box full.

Merry Christmas mate and keep up the good work in the New Year.

By the way I have a glass of port and some dark chocolate whilst I work. Yum !!

regards

Phil.
Old 23-12-15, 12:26 AM

I must agree with you Phil, about those Tiptaft badges. Whilst the collars are quite delicate looking, pretty little badges, the rays on the hat badges do have those dags on the rays, and often an unevenness that gives the appearance that they were scalloped with a blunt tool.

To me they are not the prettiest of rising suns and I have often wondered why so much emphasis is placed upon them.

Enjoy your port and dark chocolate.

Donny B.
Old 23-12-15, 06:16 AM

hi donny and phil
i got to say i like all the rising suns and in particular the english made ones.
beauty is in the eye of the beholder. lol
heres a few for you.
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg (81.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (62.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (1).jpg (59.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg (71.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3821.jpg (47.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 23-12-15, 12:26 PM

Hi BC,
I can't deny that I too have a soft spot for the rising sun and have quite a few, though certainly not enough to half fill a shoe box.

You have a nice collection there.........you seem to have cornered the market on Tiptafts. Thanks for showing them.

Donny B.
Old 24-12-15, 06:41 AM

Smile

Hi BC & Donny

Thanks for showing all those nice Tiptafts but they all have dags on the suns rays and you know what I say about dags !!

I only have the one Tiptaft and its in a family collection but l do have 2 other slidered RS.

Ive done some photos that I will fiddle and send to you in the next few days after everything settles down. I will also throw in a pair of Tiptaft collars as well.

Merry Christmas to every one.

Regards

Phil.