British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-12-14, 05:42 PM

Default Unknown group with Churchill tank

Not very clear but could this be 7th Queens Own Hussars or something else?

Rob

Old 13-12-14, 06:53 PM

Could be Household Cavalry

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 13-12-14, 07:09 PM
Former Member

Simon,
Not in the beret, the Household Cavalry badge is only worn in the Forage Cap by other ranks! I'd go with LG

Andy
Old 13-12-14, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Simon,
Not in the beret, the Household Cavalry badge is only worn in the Forage Cap by other ranks! I'd go with LG

Andy
Andy,

That's what I meant - LG or RHG.

Regards

Old 13-12-14, 08:42 PM
Former Member

Simon,
Okay, I also think they could be Yeomanry, as the NCO in the front row does not appear to have a crown above his chevrons! Perhaps Dorset or Shropshire?

Andy
Old 14-12-14, 01:15 AM

Assuming this is from the Second World War...

I’d consider one of the Canadian Churchill units, either The Ontario Regiment or The Three Rivers Regiment. Both of those Regiments had badges fitting the outline in the photo. The third Regiment in 1st Canadian Tank Brigade, The Calgary Regiment, did not.

The only Yeomanry units that operated Churchills were 1st F&F, and the North Irish Horse, and clearly it's neither of them. Similarly, no Household Cavalry, but rather 4th GG, 4th CG, and 3rd SG in 6th Guards Tank Brigade.

It’s clearly not RTR, and the other Churchill units were those RAC Regiments converted from Infantry battalions. I think we can also agree that we’re not looking at Buffs, King’s Own, Duke of Wellington’s or Essex badges here.

The only other thing they might be is one the the RE Assault Regiments. There isn’t a lot of useful detail visible on the tank itself. However, given the position of the turret, I find it odd that there is no part of the gun barrel visible. If it were an AVRE Churchill, this would make sense, as the petard mortar was very short.

Just some thoughts.
Old 14-12-14, 07:26 AM

Interesting thoughts. I’d consider one of the Canadian Churchill units, either The Ontario Regiment or The Three Rivers Regiment.

But aren't they all wearing the standard British Army one-piece and very much sought-after tank denims? In my view the style in which the berets are worn smacks of the post War British Army. And the apparently gun-less Churchill could be a training vehicle or a hulk? Mike
Old 14-12-14, 04:04 PM

No it's not a hulk and the gun isn't missing nor is it a dustbin chucker. If you look again you'll see the panzer is gun rear and depressed.

My money's on the Life Guards btw. The badge is too bright for it to be RHG/D. I don't think it's a yeomanry or colonial outfit either.

It's infinitely possible the pic was taken at Bovvy. Still plenty of Churchills there for experimental purposes post war.

That's my two bob's worth.

EDIT: JUst had another look. She's gun rear because she's got something mounted on the glacis. You can see bracketry on the mudguards.
Old 14-12-14, 05:06 PM

Default Churchill Mk VII (?)

I know I'm splitting hairs, but I think the horizontal V shaped bracket nearest the camera indicates that we are looking at the right, rear of the tank - with gun depressed and facing forward. Poor quality diagram from Bovington shows the bracket.
Churchill Mk VII.gif
Old 14-12-14, 05:28 PM

The tank is has the turret facing backwards.

All the suspending arms to the bogie wheels on the track operate from in front of the wheels.

This tank has them in front so is facing to the left.

Whats more the gun can be seen sloping down behind the shoulder of the right hand man.

regards

Old 14-12-14, 06:16 PM

Default Rear of Churchill Mk IV/Mk VII

Worth a thousand words?
Churchill_Unident.Rear.01.jpgChurchill_Unident.Rear.02.jpg.gifChurchill-Mark7.Rear.03.jpg
Old 14-12-14, 06:34 PM

The shape of the badge could even be a first pattern REME so it could possibly be a workshop or training establishment photograph, just guessing.
Old 14-12-14, 08:15 PM

Default CHURCHILL TANK

hi guys, I do know that this is not an easy task, to tell the front from the back on the Churchill tank and it's not a classic photo for that purpose. as there appears to be some life guards standing in the way, but mike is correct the tank is facing away from the photographer, and the gun is depressed over the front. regards john
Old 14-12-14, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
The shape of the badge could even be a first pattern REME so it could possibly be a workshop or training establishment photograph, just guessing.
Its possible, but would REME wear denim tank overalls, and the berets look more black than blue?

Is my original suggestion of 7th Hussars impossible?

Rob
Old 15-12-14, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Its possible, but would REME wear denim tank overalls, and the berets look more black than blue?

Is my original suggestion of 7th Hussars impossible?

Rob
No, not impossible. In my cause I think it's the LG because there appears to be a void around the central motif of the badge. This wouldn't be present in a 7H badge. It could just be shadow but I don't think so.

REME would have worn tank overalls in my time but I can't speak for when this pic was taken.

It is a gun tank however and whether we're looking at the front of the tank or rear the gun is facing away from us and is depressed. Upon reflection I revise my opinion on that and now say the gun is depressed over the front of the glacis.