British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Photographs of South African Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-08-16, 06:13 PM

Default Mystery patch - SA Irish?

In my family's archives is a patch on red cloth which looks to be a regimental patch with Irish associations. There is a crown and an Irish harp, overlaid by a pair of crossed somethings - maces or batons? Definitely not swords. It may be a sleeve badge indicating rank as well as regiment. I would appreciate any suggestions. My family are all South Africans or English; we have no record of an Irish regiment in our history. This patch is most likely from the Boer War or WW1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3137 (2).jpg (119.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 15-08-16, 07:19 PM

It is a British Army bandsman (not Royal Artillery) proficiency arm badge, worn on the upper right arm, consisting of two crossed trumpets and a harp. The crown dates it to post 1902. The harp in this case has nothing to do with anything specifically Irish.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 16-08-16, 05:25 PM

Thomas, I believe you have hit the nail on the head. I know that my maternal grandfather, Carl Richard Horn (b.1891), served in Prince Alfred's Guards in Port Elizabeth as a bandsman in the early 20th century, although I don't think he served overseas. For many years we kept his old instrument - a cornophone, a valved brass wind instrument (E flat) with bore profile intermediate between french horn and sax-horn and played with a mouthpiece like that of a french horn. They are not in common use nowadays. One of my cousins bagged it.
Old 16-08-16, 09:20 PM

Excellent. You could check the cornophone for any military markings.

Rgds, Thomas.