British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-04-08, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
Mandy,

Victor was a Pte in the WYorks and RAMC while your photo of the individual soldier is an Officer - a Lieutenant. Could he have been commissioned after the war?

Victor appears to have earned his medals in NRussia in 1919. Not many people know but we sent troops to Russia in 1919 due to the civil war between the Red Soviets and the White Russians.

Alan
Alan,

While what you say isn't impossible, it wasn't the army's parctice to raise common soldiers from the ranks and give them comissions during the first war generally, unless you went to public school!

Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 20-04-08 at 10:26 AM. Reason: sp
Old 20-04-08, 09:34 AM

Thanks for all your help with Victor. It seems that he must have joined up at the latter part of the war as a Private in the RAMC or the West Yorkshire - still not quite clear about why 2 diff regiments are mentioned on his medal index card. I will have to go to Kew sometime and look at the rolls there, to confirm.
He obviously went to Russia, obtained his British War & Victory medal in 1922, as seen in his photo.
He must have obtained his commission at a later date. Maybe the rolls at the archives will enlighten me???
It does say "Comm authy" on his medal index card - so I still think that this may be some sort of a clue - Commission authority or Commission authorised etc. I don't know.
Spoken to a surviving cousin, that thinks he became a Captain, so maybe he stayed in for longer than I thought.

Thanks again for all the help you have all given me with Victor.

I have just noticed the timing on the last posting. Do some of you never sleep??

My other 2 relatives in the other photo - 2 men together, are definitely West Yorks regt (left)& RAMC (right), and they are both NCO's - is that right?

I think I may try and get a collection of cap badges from the various regiments that my family members served in, but I think I will leave that for another day. One thing at a time.

Cheers

Mandy
Old 20-04-08, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy McGinty View Post
Alan,

While what you say isn't impossible, it wasn't the army's parctice to raise common soldiers from the ranks and give them comissions during the first war generally, unless you went to public school!

Luke
Luke,

There were lots of wartime commissions from the ranks but this chap was a Pte in 1919 and by then there were a huge surplus of Officers and not a shortage. A commission in the WYorks is far more likely than being commissioned from the ranks into the 3rd Hussars.

Alan
Old 10-06-08, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Halls View Post
This aside does anyone know when the cavalry stopped wearing those really cool cain mail shoulder things... don't even know the proper name, can anyone enlighten me please?

Cheers,

Luke
They are still worn Luke but on No1 Dress Blues (sometimes called 'Blue Patrols') only. Rarely seen now except at weddings and Guards of Honour at Presentation of Guidon/Standard parades.
Old 10-06-08, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Halls View Post
Alan,

Luke
Actually Luke very large numbers of Army other ranks (ORs) were commissioned in WW1, far more than in WW2. The RQMS (a WO2) of 2 RWF was the first to step of his battalion's troopship into France in 1914 and by 1917 was a Brigadier General commanding a Cheshires infantry Brigade. Indeed 2 Territorail Force units, Artists' Rifles and Inns of Court were used as virtual schools for officers with very significant numbers of their ORs commissioned into other units because they were generally well educated in Grammar Schools and such like, not necessarily public schools. Similarly, some Imperial Service Battalions did the same, most notably, the so-called Sportsmen's Battalions of the City of London Regt, Royal Fusiliers.
Old 10-06-08, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Hi,

Could anyone help with the identification of the cap badge on the attached photo?

I have 2 members of my family with this cap badge (in photo form only) but I don't know what regiment/corp etc they were in. It looks like a horse, above a straight bar, with a scroll underneath????

Does anyone out there recognise it? I am sorry that the photo isn't very clear, but it is the only copy I have.

Many thanks

Mandy

West Yorkshire Regt in the 1920s. The 3rd Hussars, who had a similar cap badge, did not wear large collar badge of that type or design.