British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-03-20, 12:46 AM

Default Rifle Vols. Bucks & Sussex Planchets

I've had these for ages now, from the ex-Gaunt stuff sold off by the NAM.

I've seen an intact Bucks RV one in a Bosleys sale, a blackened PBP but I've never seen the 4th Sussex intact before. I presume this is the central section of a PBP or Shako where it would be surrounded by a wreath and topped with a and crown. I'd be interested to know if this would also have come blackened, if so I'd be sorely tempted to get them both fretted out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-03-28 19.33.11.jpg (88.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-03-28 19.33.34.jpg (74.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 29-03-20, 04:25 AM

Default Sussex

Hi Keith,

A lovely item!

Geoff had a fully produced one of these for sale some time ago in white metal with N/S screw posts, which I missed out on.

The 4th were raised at Lewes in 1860, in what is now the county town of East Sussex. The nearby 5th at East Grinstead wore blackened badges and there was a blackened glengarry for the 2nd corps of which the 5th were a part.

The 4th however, became part of the Cinque Ports Corps in 1863. There are examples of both a generic glengarry and a later helmet plate to the CP Corps that are blackened, as are my Battle badges (Battle was also part of the CP Corps), so it is possible.

I hope this helps and hopefully, someone will know for sure.

Kind Regards,

Pete
Old 29-03-20, 08:58 AM

Keith very nice -thanks for showing
David
Old 30-03-20, 12:25 PM

Cheers both.

Attached is are few more I got that same day, parts of badges. I've had the 12th Surrey one finished by Warren and it came out beautifully and I've since found a shako back plate for the Wooton one.. I've held back on the Essex Militia as I'm still not sure whether there should be a void above the bugle.

Pete, it was looking your album which reminded me I had the 4th planchet when I saw you didn't, I can't believe I missed Geoff's one. I wonder if it should have a separate crown above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img028.jpg (61.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 30-03-20, 03:45 PM

Hi Keith,

You have some nice items there.

As to the crown, I'm really not sure. There was a similar badge to the 8th Sussex Corps that sold at C&T three years ago (14-02-17) also sans crown. Even the former Redoubt Museum didn't have one of these on display and from the extensive photos I took at the time, none were this design or with seperate crowns. I'd be very keen to find out though.

KR,

Pete