British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-10-09, 10:27 PM

Default SAS badgeon red beret

Guys
i got this beret from auction the other month.
Nice enough piece, but the only part of the liner to not be shown (and to have physically been "scrubbed out?" is the date- still think its poss 1955?? ).
Therefore, i wondered if the date of this piece could poss be worked out from the cap badge, that looks like it has been put on originally.Where the cap badge sits, it appears that there has been a previous cap badge with slider fitted (HENCE doing away with the WW2 date of the beret), as i am not sure when Parachute regt cap badges changed to Lugged.
Of course, it may not necessarily have been a para regt badged beret prior to SAS service, but some corps (No shade mark on the front to indicate original badge).
Ialso have an unbadged 1955 beret of the same type.badge on unknown date.jpg

Unknown date.jpg
i look forward to hearing from you guys
Regards
Jon
Colloquendo Imperamus
Old 03-10-09, 10:20 AM

Could be an early NZ one they wore Red berets for quite a while IIRC.

Tom
Old 04-10-09, 03:37 AM

Definately NZ Malaya period - want to move it along?
Old 04-10-09, 10:56 AM

Kiwis were first issued UK made berets when they went to Malaya - maroon was worn until mid 1980s
Old 04-10-09, 11:06 AM

At first the brand name was printed on 1 line. In 1949 it was changed to 2 lines as can be seen on your beret. Also, around that time the slider pocket was added and the handsewn thread running around the inside was omitted.
Old 04-10-09, 01:13 PM
Badge Guru

WOW nice find. I think there were only 130 something members of the NZ SAS sent to Malaya. I wish I could afford to buy that beret!

Did you buy anything else in the same sale?
Old 04-10-09, 02:15 PM

Default beret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
At first the brand name was printed on 1 line. In 1949 it was changed to 2 lines as can be seen on your beret. Also, around that time the slider pocket was added and the handsewn thread running around the inside was omitted.
Hey Luc
I had/think I still have a 1945 unissued dated maroon beret that had the slider backing for a slider badge and since to the best of my knowledge no airborne cap badge was ever issued during the war with a slider I think you might be incorrect on your dating.
Dave
Old 04-10-09, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Dave,

Airborne Signals and Engineers wore slidered badges on maroon berets.

Alan
Old 04-10-09, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by army outfitters View Post
Hey Luc
I had/think I still have a 1945 unissued dated maroon beret that had the slider backing for a slider badge and since to the best of my knowledge no airborne cap badge was ever issued during the war with a slider I think you might be incorrect on your dating.
Dave
Maybe 'Dave' means Parachute Regiment.
Old 04-10-09, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

probably but there was still a need for 'airborne' berets to hold slidered badges.
Old 04-10-09, 04:08 PM

Good afternoon , when the british SAS were reformed as a territorial unit (21st SAS ) a few years after the war they wore the maroon beret ,i think up until about 1958 ,REGARDS , NEMO
Old 04-10-09, 05:34 PM

What Dave means is that the parachute regiment and glider pilot regiment/army air corps didn't use slidered cap badges during the war. I agree.

Dave if your beret has a slider pocket I would like to see some further pictures, the only variation of the 1945 Kangol beret known to me is the black or khaki lining. I have never seen a slider pocket on a wartime beret or 1946, 1949 berets either. It sounds like your beret is post-war and has been sexed up with a more desirable date.
Old 04-10-09, 09:18 PM

Default Parachute/Glider maroon beret

And this goes to show you that you should have a coffee before you post something. Yes you are all correct I did mean parachute/glider regiment did not use sliders during the war. Funny enough of the 20 or so maroon berets I had only one ever had a slider backing area which you see on modern berets. That of course is not to say that other branches of service attached or airborne qualified did not wear a maroon beret with a slider of course.
I think I still have it in stock at my store but I am not back there until Tuesday so I will try and find it and try to figure out how to post a picture of it. I will advise if I can find it still as I can not remember if I sold it or not. Too much stuff in stock.
I am sure it has not been sexed up. It was unissued an a smurf size. I will see what I can do
Dave
Old 05-10-09, 02:27 PM
Badge Guru

Chaps, I am afraid I am with Luc on this one. For those of you who do not know him he is something of an authority on the subject of the WW2 Airborne.

Dave as for smurf sizes, the wool often shrinks on war time berets if they have been washed or stored incorrectly.
Old 05-10-09, 02:50 PM

Hey Jibba Jabba
Yes I am aware of them shrinking but in this case I was referring to the size being smurf on it ie something like 6 3/4
Dave