British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-06-09, 12:16 AM

For what its worth. Today I had a look at the Eagle, the GPR Association magazine, unfortunately the photo's are of such poor quality that QC badges cannot be spotted if worn.
The GPR badge on the covers changes from KC to QC in 1956.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 27-06-09, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
For what its worth. Today I had a look at the Eagle, the GPR Association magazine, unfortunately the photo's are of such poor quality that QC badges cannot be spotted if worn.
The GPR badge on the covers changes from KC to QC in 1956.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Thanks Fougasse1940,

Are you saying that the Queen's Crown came in on 1956 for the Glider Pilot Regiments Association magazine?

Regards

Chris
Old 27-06-09, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Thanks Fougasse1940,

Are you saying that the Queen's Crown came in on 1956 for the Glider Pilot Regiments Association magazine?

Regards

Chris
Yes, the earlier change from AAC to GPR badge is mentioned in the magazine, the change of Crown is not.
All Eagle magazines feature the badge prominently on the cover.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 27-06-09, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Yes, the earlier change from AAC to GPR badge is mentioned in the magazine, the change of Crown is not.
All Eagle magazines feature the badge prominently on the cover.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Was that a change from the Glider Pilots Regiment to Army Air Corps was noted but change from 'King's' crown to 'Queen's' crown within the Glider Pilots Regiment was not?

Regards

Chris
Old 27-06-09, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Was that a change from the Glider Pilots Regiment to Army Air Corps was noted but change from 'King's' crown to 'Queen's' crown within the Glider Pilots Regiment was not?

Regards

Chris
Exactly.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 15-07-09, 06:47 AM

Hi Guys,

Following information found in the Glider Regiment Cap Badge file in the National Archives yesterday.

While 'KC' badges were made and issued I found that only a few samples (four) to the 'QC' version were made in white metal. No other documentation was found to increase this number or to note any further production. This was in 1955.

As such, it would be fair to say that as the Glider Pilot Regiment was still using white metal at the time of the 'Change of Crowns' no anodised aluminium 'KC' badge was made.

No information for any anodised aluminum cap badge was discovered and as the regiment completed active service in 1957 I am of the opinion that none were ever made let alone officially authorised for issue.

Those that are in existance I would suggest are nothing more that later unofficial commissions.

I will post documents when I get back to New Zealand including invoices and letters from Gaunt re: the 4 'QC' white metal badges.

Regards

Chris
Old 17-07-09, 07:08 PM

Default Glider Pilot Cap Badge

On reading through Volume 1 of the Bulletin, the Military Historical Society magazine, dated 1950 there is a small paragraph on new badges. It states " A new badge is approved for the Glider Pilot Regiment. This has an Eagle inside a scroll with the regimental title,a crown overall. This is in silver plate as are the collar badges which have the same design, but are smaller". I hope this adds to our knowledge of the badges of this regiment. John.
Old 08-08-09, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
I just found pictures of a QC badge that was sold on ebay a while ago.
Luc, FYI the badge shown in the photo taken from ebay was actually a collar, not a cap badge. I distinctly remember emailing the seller (leighbuzzly) about it.

Cheers,

Kev C
Old 08-08-09, 12:57 AM

Default QC army flying badge / glider pilot wing

Further to my last post. The part-bullion wing shown by Luc is unquestionably of 1960s+ manufacture and not at all like the wing shown in post #17. I am more than happy to date the latter to the early 1950s - why?, because it exhibits virtually all the same traits as a wartime wing.

Kev C
Old 09-08-09, 08:14 PM

Hi Kev, that suggests that QC collar badges were issued unlike the cap badges.

Would you know when the smaller 3 inch KC wings were worn?
Old 09-08-09, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Hi Kev, that suggests that QC collar badges were issued unlike the cap badges.

Hi Luc,

Going back to my research at the National Archives Kew. I went though tens of documents on badges and found no occurance of collar badges or cap badges being
requesed, designed, manufactured or issued at the same time. Each was subject to separate requisition processes so I suggest that both items are mutually exclusive when it comes to their issue.

Regards

Chris
Old 09-08-09, 11:57 PM

hi all
i bid on this on ebay but didnt win it
any thoughts
bc
Old 10-08-09, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Hi Kev, that suggests that QC collar badges were issued unlike the cap badges. ?
Luc,

Plated silver Officers collar and cap badges do indeed exist but the ORs badge is a contentious issue.

It's worth remembering that the GPR was a shadow of it's former self by 1953 and personally I don't think a large enough quantity of ORs badges were required at that time - at least not enough to warrant the use of a well-known manufacturer such as Firmin.

Quote:
Would you know when the smaller 3 inch KC wings were worn?
Excluding both UK private-purchase and bazaar-produced wings of North African origin, some sources put the smaller KC wing at 1946 - others simply describe it as "late WWII".

Hope that helps.

Kev C

Last edited by AAC_GPR; 10-08-09 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-08-09, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
hi all
i bid on this on ebay but didnt win it
any thoughts
bc
+ points are nice, chunky, cast-construction but I'm not too keen on the lack of detail around the eagle's head and that "made yesterday" look about it - both negs might just be caused by an ultra-bright camera flash. It's certainly one I'd have to see in-the-flesh. How much was the winning bid?.

Kev C
Old 10-08-09, 01:03 PM

hi kev
from memory $13US. it was less than $20us.
they had the opposite collar that sold a week earlier so i was a bit upset with missing the first collar so i only placed a token bid on this one
bc