British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-06-09, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Could these not be Glider Pilot Wings but Army Air Corps?

Last edited by Alan O; 16-06-09 at 06:23 PM.
Old 16-06-09, 05:57 PM

Yes Alan, that is very well possible but they do not match the style of the later AAC wings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Afbeelding 318.jpg (55.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 16-06-09, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

But in turn they do not match lots of other manufacturers variations. I remain open minded about them.
Old 16-06-09, 06:50 PM

I just found wings quite similar to mine on a 1974 dated SD blouse (ebay). That blows my theory.

I just found pictures of a QC badge that was sold on ebay a while ago. It is like the silver frosted KC badge but without the Firmin name to the rear, and unlike the piles of obvious replicas on the market. I can't make up my mind about them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69e1_1.JPG (32.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 6aef_1.JPG (19.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 16-06-09, 07:42 PM

Here's a GPR Menu I have in my spares box.

thought I'd post it here. It has the QC on it so I suppose it may have been worn?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glidermenu.jpg (29.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg glidermenuopen.jpg (27.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 16-06-09, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Yes, in WM and silver-plate, according to K&K, don't know if it was actually made, but it was sealed in annodized silver 12th October 1955, two years before the incorporation into the AAC.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Thanks for all the replies guys.

If anyone actually has a WM QC Glider Pilot Regiment badge could they post it here. Also if anyone has an anodised version in either KC or QC could they do the same.

Regards

Chris
Old 16-06-09, 08:12 PM

Chris, there is another option: sealed, produced but never issued. It may sound strange but it has happened.

I have a CQ cap badge in wm, I have showed them somewhere on the forum. Further I have a frosted silver and wm KC pattern, they are shown in one of my albums.
Old 16-06-09, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Chris, there is another option: sealed, produced but never issued. It may sound strange but it has happened.

I have a CQ cap badge in wm, I have showed them somewhere on the forum. Further I have a frosted silver and wm KC pattern, they are shown in one of my albums.
Hi Luc,

Your suggestion is quite valid - just because a badge is sealed it does not mean that it was actual issued as sealed badges were part of the prototype batch only and it is nore than plausable that no orders were ever made for batch manufacture of the badge after sealing.

I have to be sure with some work I'm doing here re: anodised versions of this badge. I do not wish to sound rude and no offence is intended and if it is I apologise right now with with what I'm going to say.

Luc, are you sure the QC badge it is genuine? I am totally ignorant about these sort of badges so cannot make any sort of decision and must rely on others far more knowledgeable than me.

I'll try to track down you badge on the forum but if you know where it is right now can you send me a link to it.

Many Thanks here.

Regards

Chris
Old 16-06-09, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

That is not conclusive I am afraid. There were lots of regts who were still wearing k/c badges in the late 50s even though the Offrs were wearing q/c badges and q/c insignia was in wider use.

Alan
Old 16-06-09, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
are you sure the QC badge it is genuine?
Hi Chris, no offence taken at all. In fact the thread I started shows that I assume the badge from my collection is a restrike. If it turns out to be a complete fantasy badge isn't going to make it worse.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=5755
Old 16-06-09, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
That is not conclusive I am afraid. There were lots of regts who were still wearing k/c badges in the late 50s even though the Offrs were wearing q/c badges and q/c insignia was in wider use.

Alan

Absolutely Alan and I have no problem with the the British Army issue of badges on a maintenance basis. I have a lot of documents stating this from the A/A era insisting this practice. What I need to know is were there any QC badges officially manufactured (not even interested if they were worn or not) as if there were then this would probably negate the manufacture of KC A/A badges as the continuation of WM badges between crown types had continued bypassing the use of aluminium.

Also, with the end of active service of the Glider Pilot Regiment on the 1st November 1957 and the gearing up of the Army Air Corp then there probably would have been no manufacture of A/A QC badges either if WM items had been previously been made as stocks of WM would have been manufactured with at least a future issue in mind i.e. held in stores ready for issue for a year or so.

Regards

Chris
Old 16-06-09, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Hi Chris, no offence taken at all. In fact the thread I started shows that I assume the badge from my collection is a restrike. If it turns out to be a complete fantasy badge isn't going to make it worse.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=5755
Hi Luc,

Looking at the slider mark I would say made 1973 onwards.

Darn...

Regards

Chris
Old 17-06-09, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

1. IMO there is strong possibility that the ORs were still wearing the k/c metal one in 1957 and using up old stocks.

2. Officers badges being often private purchase or made with smaller production runs are more likely to have been made; hence the silver finish ones in K&K.

3. The question remains whether there was any ORs badge on general issue with a Q/C and I have yet to be convinced either way.

Alan
Old 17-06-09, 08:23 PM

Hi Alan,

All makes sense to me.

At the moment it looks like that collections only contain WM KC versions.

The K+K sealing date of 10th November 1950 of the anodised KC version does not fall into line with the Nov 1951 List of Changes first mention of anodised badge as intent for future issue. K+K (so I'm led to believe) do not give any other sealed pattern data such as sealed pattern number, CB number etc.

This and other factors (which I'm not going to go into here) lead me to believe that the KC and probably the QC anodised aluminium Glider Pilots Regiment cap badges never actually sealed let alone issued and is a theory I wish to continue following either with me being right or wrong.

It's difficult to prove that something never happened so I need the collectors of pre-anodised badges to help me out here to disprove my theory. The existence of a QC Glider Pilots Regiment badge in WM would imply that an anodised KC version was never manufactured as a QC in WM would have been a retrograde step if an anodised KC version had previously been made.

Such a step was expressly forbidden and the Brigade of Guards tried to do this and were told most categorically NO even when Generals related to the Brigade complained.

I also have a problem with AA QC versions with the known creation of the AAC 'just around the corner' and with the British Army's policy of stocks being issued on a replacement basis i.e. existing stocks (regardless of crown version) were to be used up first.

Of course if a genuine anodised version in either KC or QC versions can be found then please post it here and I would be delighted to examine such.

Regards

Chris
Old 25-06-09, 07:59 AM

Chris, I don't believe I have seen a KC GPR badge in AA.