British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-04-15, 12:58 PM

Default Selous Scouts / RDR stable belt fabric

Hi has anyone got a length of Selous Scouts/RDR stable belt fabric about a meter going begging.
Thanks
Graham
Old 01-05-15, 08:19 AM
Banned

Still making stuff up?
Old 14-05-15, 04:19 PM

I have since found out that although the Selous Scouts and RDR stable belts are the same colour the widths are different, The RDR belting is 70mm wide and the Scouts is 60mm to 62mm wide.I am looking for the 60mm to 62mm wide example.

Peter I do not make things up as you put it to deceive people I complete items that I obtain as components that I would never be able to afford as a complete item.

Last edited by Loski; 14-05-15 at 10:11 PM.
Old 15-05-15, 12:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loski View Post
Peter I do not make things up as you put it to deceive people I complete items that I obtain as components that I would never be able to afford as a complete item.
I never said you did but making an item up doesn't make it genuine and somewhere in time that item will be sold and that's the problem. Not everyone who onsells that item will list it as made up by you and therefore it will be another made up item in the market place being listed as genuine.
Old 15-05-15, 03:48 AM

If all the components of an item are origional new old stock then is the item not origional.
Old 15-05-15, 06:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
If all the components of an item are origional new old stock then is the item not origional.
The components are but you have made the belt in 2015. The belt was not made in Rhodesia between 1974-1980 therefore how can it be period genuine?
Were the para wings and paddings sold to some people in the 80's and then created into Rhodesian para wings period genuine? The majority of components were but the wings weren't genuine.
Old 16-05-15, 09:04 AM

Peter I have News for you not all Rhodesia insigina issued between 1974 and 1980 was made in Rhodesia, British made stables were still being issued and none of the berets were made in Rhodesia so I guess by your standards they are not genuine.
Old 16-05-15, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Peter I have News for you not all Rhodesia insigina issued between 1974 and 1980 was made in Rhodesia, British made stables were still being issued and none of the berets were made in Rhodesia so I guess by your standards they are not genuine.
Why would that be news?
What British made stable belts were being issued between 1974-1980?
What insignia was issued between 1974-1980 wasn't made in Rhodesia?

I guess also by your standards that anything can be made up and still be genuine.
Old 16-05-15, 09:18 PM

Guy i know served in the RhAMC was issued with a british made stable belt.
Old 17-05-15, 02:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Guy i know served in the RhAMC was issued with a british made stable belt.
Really? And with what evidence does he have apart from him saying it?

You have conveniently forgotten to answer these questions.

Old 17-05-15, 06:34 PM

Nope I’m not going to waste time trying to convince someone who has already made up their mind.
Old 18-05-15, 12:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nope I’m not going to waste time trying to convince someone who has already made up their mind.
I guess that's one way to get out of answering questions asked of you after you make statements that you can't back up.
Old 18-05-15, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria View Post
Really? And with what evidence does he have apart from him saying it?

You have conveniently forgotten to answer these questions.

The guy that I know served as A NS Cpl in the RhAMC during the late 70's and says that he was issued with a British made stable belt and I have no reason to not beleive him.

I have had in my possession a green OR's RAR slouch hat that was fitted with a Firmin London marked badge and I know someone eles that has one with the same Firmin London badge and I think he has a RAR beret given to him in the 70’s by its original owner that is made in Botswana with a Firmin badge, I have also been told by a former RAR Colour Sergeant that the Or’s preferred the British made badges because the spear heads on the Reuitler made badges tended to break off with use.

If During the 74 to 80 period the Rhodesian Army held stocks of items e.g. stable belts and badges obtained before UDI from Britain they were not going to throw them away they would continue to issue them (sometimes in conjunction with the locally made items) until those stocks were depleted, But I’m not going to argue the toss with you because going by previous posts made by you, you have the blinkered view and are of the opinion that if anyone else’s opinion does not conform to yours they are wrong.
Old 18-05-15, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
The guy that I know served as A NS Cpl in the RhAMC during the late 70's and says that he was issued with a British made stable belt and I have no reason to not beleive him.
I presume you mean Dave Hughes. It's still no evidence.

Quote:
I have had in my possession a green OR's RAR slouch hat that was fitted with a Firmin London marked badge and I know someone eles that has one with the same Firmin London badge and I think he has a RAR beret given to him in the 70’s by its original owner that is made in Botswana with a Firmin badge, I have also been told by a former RAR Colour Sergeant that the Or’s preferred the British made badges because the spear heads on the Reuitler made badges tended to break off with use.
Reuteler not Reuitler. I can't see why that would be the case considering Reuteler's workmanship.

Quote:
If During the 74 to 80 period the Rhodesian Army held stocks of items e.g. stable belts and badges obtained before UDI from Britain they were not going to throw them away they would continue to issue them (sometimes in conjunction with the locally made items) until those stocks were depleted,
Stable belts were made in Rhodesia. Next you'll be saying the buckles were made in the UK. All insignia were made by Reuteler in the 70's. After federation insignia was made without the Queen's crown.

Quote:
But I’m not going to argue the toss with you because going by previous posts made by you, you have the blinkered view and are of the opinion that if anyone else’s opinion does not conform to yours they are wrong.
Well that's hurtful coming from such an authority on Rhodesian insignia as yourself.
Old 18-05-15, 12:20 PM

Dave Huges served in the Armoured cars not the Medics.

I don't know but that is what I was told that the spear points break off

There was no reason not to use badges for units without the crown while stocks lasted the same go's for stable belts why waste money.

I do not pretend to know everything about Rhodesian Militaria. And you are choosing to ignore facts ie the slouch hats and beret.

Last edited by Loski; 18-05-15 at 02:23 PM.