British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-08-11, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
The whistle was obviously shill bid up to that amount if you check the bidding history, in my opinion of course.

I don't think any money exchanged hands!
Ah, that'll be me not paying attention

I still think though that my point was valid.

Regards
Old 17-08-11, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Ah, that'll be me not paying attention

I still think though that my point was valid.

Regards
Too true! There are many mysteries in the collecting world
Old 17-08-11, 09:17 PM
Banned

Brent - There is still something of a mystery about this thread. I asked earlier if you were looking for a value for sale or for insurance purposes but you didn't reply. If you are valuing these items for someone then presumably it is one or the other. As I said, figures will differ depending upon the over-riding reason. Perhaps an indication of purpose would be helpful. David
Old 17-08-11, 11:51 PM

David, I had hoped to get half a dozen opinions as to what forum members would pay “if” the shoulder boards were to come on the market, and then move on to the next badge.
If you wish to supply two valuations in true antiques road show style, then please feel free to do so.
Old 18-08-11, 07:06 AM

Wow! This thread is turning into an auction.
Old 18-08-11, 08:14 AM

Default Please post more LRDG bits!

Hi Brent,

I think we would all be interested to see more of the LRDG collection items.

Could you please post the other insignia also? I am prepared to give valuations.

Best regards,

Johan
Old 18-08-11, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
David, I had hoped to get half a dozen opinions as to what forum members would pay “if” the shoulder boards were to come on the market, and then move on to the next badge.
If you wish to supply two valuations in true antiques road show style, then please feel free to do so.
OK - For what it's worth, my personal opinion (and it is only an opinion) is £1750 to sell and £2250 for insurance purposes. If you are valuing the items for a third party then only the insurance valuation is relevant. If you are looking to the third party to sell (to you or someone else) then the first figure is a reasonable expectation of market value. I would be fascinated to see others' opinions. May I also add that valuing a single item is quite different to valuing a complete collection so, as has already been suggested, why not put up the lot and everyone can get a true idea of what we are really talking about. David
Old 18-08-11, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanwiegman View Post
Hi Brent,
I think we would all be interested to see more of the LRDG collection items.
Could you please post the other insignia also? I am prepared to give valuations.
Best regards,
Johan
Johan, I respect your comments and valuation.
As far as valuations go, I only have one other badge that I have been unable to identify and value, it is a gold embroidered scorpion with black edging on a red diamond.
I am doing my best to get permission to share more items of this wonderful collection that would be of great benefit to this forum. IMO this collection holds the key to what pattern LRDG badge was last to be issued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
OK - For what it's worth, my personal opinion (and it is only an opinion) is £1750 to sell and £2250 for insurance purposes. If you are valuing the items for a third party then only the insurance valuation is relevant. If you are looking to the third party to sell (to you or someone else) then the first figure is a reasonable expectation of market value. I would be fascinated to see others' opinions. May I also add that valuing a single item is quite different to valuing a complete collection so, as has already been suggested, why not put up the lot and everyone can get a true idea of what we are really talking about. David
Thank you David, I now have two very good opinions on price.
I too would like to hear a couple more opinions as to the value.
I would love to share a lot more pictures so everyone can learn from them, but that is not up to me.
If we all play nice he might just share his toys with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Wow! This thread is turning into an auction.
Mate, people ask values on this forum all the time, just because several people offer an opinion on a price it does not make it an auction. Please keep to the topic or don’t bother commenting at all.
Old 18-08-11, 01:13 PM
Badge Guru

As a collector of badges the price does not at all interest me. What interests me is the mention of "Iron Tight Provenance" which so far has not been discussed, openly on this thread.

I would be far more interested in a hand written letter from the veteran with photograph of him holding the titles, than the titles themselves. Is there a chance you will show that?

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 18-08-11 at 01:25 PM.
Old 18-08-11, 02:42 PM

Guys, as I know very little about these items, I can't really contribute much in the way of knowledge. However I find this fascinating, so am posting to receive the "updates". While doing so, I don't mind giving an opinion on value. As already stated, these items have to be the "Holy Grail" to LRDG collectors, and whatever our particular area of collecting, we all have "dream" items. My first point is that assuming we have the money, the majority would be willing to pay simply ridiculous prices to own them.

Provenance is undoubtedly available in some reliable form. Let's take that as given. My feeling is that David is not far off the mark for insurance purposes. For auction, I rather suspect that given the right venue (Bosleys for example), then these could go for significantly higher than £1750. Of course there are variables, but in ideal conditions for the seller, I'd bet at three times that - let's say 5 grand. There are a great deal more collectors of these sorts of items than many of us realise, and they have the money. For example, I noticed the other day that Stanley Gibbons (Stamps) now offer a "medals service". There are people "collecting" professionally, like it or not.

Some will undoubtedly disagree with this valuation, but all you have to do is look at some examples of "unique" uniforms and helmets to other notable, and not so notable characters in history that have sold (sometimes several times over) to see there is a good market over recent years. Prices are going up, and I have no doubt many individuals would view these as a good investment, as well as collectible items. They aren't going to make any more of these, and any unique item has considerable value.

Just my tuppence worth...... I would like to add I won't be bidding as I simply can't afford them If I could afford it, then I might have a go up to say £4,000, purely for the above reasons.

Hope you don't feel I have spoken out of turn. Just an opinion.
Regards, Neil
Old 18-08-11, 06:24 PM

Default Gold on black and red diamond

Hi Brent,

That gold embroidered scorpion, is that some kind of blazer badge?

Best regards,

Johan
Old 19-08-11, 05:54 AM

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...highlight=lrdg a bullion lrdg beret badge was posted in this thread, JB
Old 19-08-11, 06:40 AM

Neil, great reply.
I too think that if two heavy weights such as Peter Jackson and a certain froggy LRDG collector go toe to toe at a venue such as Bosleys, the price on these bad boys may well exceed my estimate of 5k.
Sadly should they ever come on the market they will be well out of my range too.

Johan, its not a blazer badge. It has been suggested that it may be Polish, but I don't think it is.
Looks similar to Italian made badges rather than egyptian badges I have seen.

Brent

Last edited by atillathenunns; 19-08-11 at 08:05 AM.
Old 21-08-11, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
As a collector of badges the price does not at all interest me. What interests me is the mention of "Iron Tight Provenance" which so far has not been discussed, openly on this thread.

I would be far more interested in a hand written letter from the veteran with photograph of him holding the titles, than the titles themselves. Is there a chance you will show that?
Jibba, I generally only post in the New Zealand badge section, so I can appreciate some will have trust issues in believing my claim of 100% Iron Tight Provenance.
But you got to admit it would take big balls to make the post if I didn't have it.

To me its all about the badges and the history behind them and I am honoured to be allowed to share them.
As "Kiwi ric" has stepped up as the Forums LRP badge expert, I will see what I can do in getting permission for Ric to verify the provenance is 100%.

Old 21-08-11, 01:19 PM
Badge Guru

No problem I'm not launching some type of attack up on you chap or your friend, I was just wondering how you define "iron tight" thats all. I know if someone asked me the same, I would probably feel a tad grumpy about it

I have very few special forces badges from veterans with the excellent provinance, although as it has been proven on other threads everything that veterans sell or give away is not always right. Letters and even photographs can now be easily forged.

On another special forces forum many of the reatives of the veterans have had cloth insignia made to order from Pakistan for framed displays. they simply email the photograph to the chap in Pakistan and then after a few weeks the cloth lands on their doorstep.

If I was given the un wanting task of putting a value on those boards the price would hinge around the provinance. With provinance, with loop holes, those boards might only be worth half the top price quoted here. My point being that forum members can only really value what they can see in the picture, nothing more.