British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-06-11, 08:58 PM

Default 1 Commando salamander

What are your thoughts on this slamander flash, being sold on ebuy from a good dealer in Victoria, B.C. Canada. Although I have found questionable UK patches being sold as 100% original in the past in his shop, especially to para and commando units.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/320720827990?ru=h...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
Old 30-06-11, 05:54 AM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Mike View Post
What are your thoughts on this slamander flash, being sold on ebuy from a good dealer in Victoria, B.C. Canada. Although I have found questionable UK patches being sold as 100% original in the past in his shop, especially to para and commando units.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/320720827990?ru=h...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
Hi mike here what i have and i no this is good one and i think the on ebay look ok

peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Commando Salamander.JPG (61.9 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 1 Commando Salamander (1).JPG (71.7 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by peter616; 01-07-11 at 08:45 AM.
Old 30-06-11, 12:18 PM

Default Commando Salamander

Just to clear something up this was my commando salamander and was never in the last posters collection. It was however sold on my behalf to Dave Wright on the forum for £475 however I was told it was sold for £325 so yet again it seems I was ripped off to the tune of £150. Thanks very much Peter.

By the way I think you ought to ask permission of the current badge holder if you wish to

a) claim its yours and b) illustrate it on the forum.

Remember you brought this up not me.

Cheers

Arnhem
Old 30-06-11, 12:25 PM

I don't agree with Peter. I have made an extensive study on this. I have seen at least 5 sally's from vets and they all have the high flames like in my avitar, period pics show the same, the IWM also has the other pattern with high flames. What I also do not like is that the backing is made to look old. This does not make sense as only the outside is exposed, the examples of the other sally's are aged differnently. I spoke also the renowned auction house and they also only know long flame pattern to be correct. Cheers JB
Old 30-06-11, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamandJam View Post
What I also do not like is that the backing is made to look old. This does not make sense as only the outside is exposed, the examples of the other sally's are aged differnently.
I disagree on this point, ageing on the back or front is highly dependant on how an item has been stored for the last 65 years. I have, and have seen badges discoloured or faded more on the reverse as they have been subjected to sunlight for far longer than the front. The same goes for dirt, discolouration etc. I would go more on backing material, construction and coverings (sewn to BD material, newspaper or paper backing, writing on the reverse, poppers etc).
Old 30-06-11, 06:28 PM

Quote:
It was however sold on my behalf to Dave Wright on the forum for £475 however I was told it was sold for £325 so yet again it seems I was ripped off to the tune of £150.
Hi Arnhem

Sorry to hear you were ripped off like that. Makes you wonder how some people manage to sleep at night...

Cheers,
gollmarc
Member of: OMRS (#8154), Zimbabwe Medal Society (#141)
Interested in: Special Forces medals and badges

Websites:
Raiding Support Regiment 1943-45
C Squadron (Rhodesian) SAS
The Selous Scouts

Last edited by gollmarc; 30-06-11 at 06:33 PM.
Old 30-06-11, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnhem2280 View Post
Just to clear something up this was my commando salamander and was never in the last posters collection. It was however sold on my behalf to Dave Wright on the forum for £475 however I was told it was sold for £325 so yet again it seems I was ripped off to the tune of £150. Thanks very much Peter.

By the way I think you ought to ask permission of the current badge holder if you wish to

a) claim its yours and b) illustrate it on the forum.

Remember you brought this up not me.

Cheers

Arnhem
I have to play the (devil's) advocate on this one but Peter bought this one from me - an item acquired from a Northumberland veteran along with several other choice pieces, some of which I know have gone to 'good' homes. Oh yes - and I was paid in full ! David
Old 01-07-11, 07:06 AM

Default 1 commando salamaner

Well David

Good to hear from you at last. I did wonder how long it would be. Fortunately I photocopied the badge before it was given to Peter to sell on a 10% commission basis. As far as I am aware the badge now resides with David Wright who just to go over old ground paid £475 for it. However Peter told me he had sold it for £325 took his 10% of £32.50 as agreed but of course also took a further £150 at the time unknown to me. His net profit £182.50p. Slightly more than the 10% agreed wouldn't you say ?

Its good to know that all roads seem to lead back to you in times of stress for Peter you are indeed the 'Devils Advocate' as you put it.

As far as you being paid I'm glad for you after all no one likes to hear of anyone being ripped off by badge dealers do they? Certainly not you having seen some of your posts.

Cheers

Arnhem
Old 01-07-11, 07:10 AM

David, The name of the vet you probably forgot It is always easy to say I got it from this and that vet, I can check if he was in no 1 cdo. I am still not convinced this is a good badge. JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
I have to play the (devil's) advocate on this one but Peter bought this one from me - an item acquired from a Northumberland veteran along with several other choice pieces, some of which I know have gone to 'good' homes. Oh yes - and I was paid in full ! David
Old 01-07-11, 08:28 AM
Banned

Oh dear ! Someone seems to have released the hounds from their kennels again ! I hope the moderators put a stop to this latest attempt to drag the Forum through the mud. Take your grievances to the appropriate place - this is not it !
Old 01-07-11, 12:47 PM

I wish someone would sell me a REAL one, no matter what the commission was!!
Old 01-07-11, 01:45 PM

Hi Belly, when on the hunt for the holy Grail look out for this pattern that is the real McCoy http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=11099 Cheers JB
Old 01-07-11, 02:00 PM

Cheers JB. Thanks for the titles the other day too, I Picked them up last night, really nice
Old 01-07-11, 02:17 PM

Default 1 Commando

What is the story behind the flash, why the lizard and the flames?
Old 01-07-11, 02:43 PM

Default 1 Cdo

It's a salamander, not a regular lizard, so (as per Oxford English Dictionary)
Salamander: Lizard-like animal supposed to live in fire; a person who can endure great heat; fire-eating soldier etc

On reflection - a good choice for Commando soldiers.
Mike

Further operations (post World War 2) "... is all one to the men who wore upon their shoulders the two silver daggers, the scarlet dagger with point uppermost, or the green and black salamander, or the Tommy gun, the eagle and the anchor all combined."

Hilary St George Saunders, The Green Beret 1949

and see "Tamburlaine" by Christopher Marlowe