British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-12-10, 02:23 PM

Default Kenya Regiment

Hello Chaps

Please find Kenya Regiment badge as Owen 3708, but anodised.
I cannot find a reference for this.Is it possibly one of the numerous naughties floating around?

Cheers

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0040.jpg (60.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0041.jpg (60.6 KB, 51 views)
Old 30-12-10, 02:31 PM

Hi Dave, I would think that the demand for this badge would be too low to ake it. I know that some Kenyan badges were anodised badges. If you look at Owen 3709, it looks anodised. This may just be the last issue of that badge. I am open to correction, but think that it is likely good. What do you think? Regards Andrew
Old 30-12-10, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancashirefusilier View Post
Hello Chaps

Please find Kenya Regiment badge as Owen 3708, but anodised.
I cannot find a reference for this.Is it possibly one of the numerous naughties floating around?

Cheers

Dave
There is still a Kenya Regiment Rifle Club in Nairobi, Kenya. I am not sure what connection it has with the Kenyan Armed Forces but it is possible that the badge is worn by club members.
Old 30-12-10, 05:45 PM

A far sturdier looking beast than the white metal collar dog I have.

In fact, now I've dug the badge out it's not, I thought the badge I had was of a slimmer beast with more upright horns(maybe I had a flashback to the real one I "T-boned" broadside on with a pick-up truck a few years ago).

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 31-12-10 at 09:52 AM.
Old 31-12-10, 03:10 AM

Hi All,

This is the last badge manufactured for the Regiment. Worn until disbandment in 1963. I don't recall when they were first issued. I also have a pair of like collars. As an aside I don't ever recall seeing or hearing about a bronze officer issue either. Normal issue was brass. There are collars worn by officers with the buffalo without scroll below(gilt) that are purported to be worn in mess dress. There are photographs of officers wearing these collars on service dress, maybe personal preference. All cap badges were worn on the bush hat on a brown ,red,green flash, the Kenya Regiment colours.

Happy New Year Lads,
Clay
Old 31-12-10, 03:13 AM

Oops,

I forgot to add that the Buffalo badges were worn on rifle green berets as well. No KR flash worn on beret though, although there may have been at times,according to some KR friends.

Clay
Old 31-12-10, 01:46 PM

Gents,
I have the anodised cap badge and collars to this too. If you check out the Kenya Regt web site there is loads of interesting photgraphy with good images of the badges and associated kit being worn.

Gents, many thanks for 'testing and adjusting' my learning curve this year.

Best wishes to all for 2011

Regards

Bess
Old 31-12-10, 08:26 PM

Cheers everyone for the input...last badge in anodised will do for me.

Andrew-On the subject of the possible anodised in Owen I think you're spot on.

Happy New Year

Dave
Old 02-01-11, 04:03 PM

Default Kenya Regiment

Now that brought back some memories, including a Kenya Regiment man explaining to me the reason for the colours of what he said was his Kenya Regiment necktie: 'Brown for the Askari, Red for the General staff, and Green for the Youth of Kenya'. I still don't know whether or not to believe him. Can anybody confirm or refute what he said That bit aboutGreen for the youth of Kenya' did not sound at all right as they were a very switched on bunch of blokes. I would go along with 'Green for the land of Kenya'
Old 06-01-11, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
Now that brought back some memories, including a Kenya Regiment man explaining to me the reason for the colours of what he said was his Kenya Regiment necktie: 'Brown for the Askari, Red for the General staff, and Green for the Youth of Kenya'. I still don't know whether or not to believe him. Can anybody confirm or refute what he said That bit aboutGreen for the youth of Kenya' did not sound at all right as they were a very switched on bunch of blokes. I would go along with 'Green for the land of Kenya'
Hello John
In Ian Parker's book The Last Colonial Regiment he attributes the colours close to your interpretation.

Brown-Askari,Red-Permanent Staff from the Guards and Green for the colour of Kenya and also to represent the Youth of the unit.

History here is rich with The Protectorate,its Police and early units such as the EAMR and later the KDF.

Where else could you find the CO of a local Volunteer Unit also heading up The Vigilante Committee...fantastic stuff!

All the best John

Dave
Old 07-01-11, 04:15 AM

Hi Dave,

I scratched through the stuff I have here and found that collar that is in Owen's book. It is anodised. Have a grand day. Regards Andrew
Old 07-01-11, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Hi Dave,

I scratched through the stuff I have here and found that collar that is in Owen's book. It is anodised. Have a grand day. Regards Andrew
Cheers Andrew
Old 12-08-12, 12:10 PM

I have just acquired this 1961 dated Kenya Regiment Slouch hat complete with anodised badge on regimental patch, pagri with top folds in regimental colours and black feather hackle.

Not an item that I am keeping but recording the details here in case anyone has a query on the badge in the future.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KR1.jpg (32.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg KR2.jpg (48.7 KB, 56 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 16-08-12, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
I have just acquired this 1961 dated Kenya Regiment Slouch hat complete with anodised badge on regimental patch, pagri with top folds in regimental colours and black feather hackle.

Not an item that I am keeping but recording the details here in case anyone has a query on the badge in the future.

P.B.
Hi PB,

I think that this particular bush hat originally belonged to a member of the RTR (Royal Tank Regiment), who strangely enough share the same colour coding as the KR (Kenya Regiment) albeit of a different design. If you look carefully you’ll note the anodized KR badge does not sit squarely in the centre of the pagri flash which incidentally should run vertically North to South: 1 inch Brown (Representing African soldiers) 2/12ths Red ( Trained and supported by Permanent Staff Instructors of the Regular Army) 1 inch Green ( The young Europeans of Kenya). According to the History of the Kenya Regiment, The Charging Buffalo by Guy Campbell 1986 - Popularly but inaccurately the colours were thought to mean - “Through mud and blood to the green fields beyond” – the motto of the Royal Tank Regiment, which as you can see is where the confusion probably stems from. As for the hackle I understand that the RTR had one which corresponded to the colours of their regimental flash (Brown, Red and Green), were as the Kenya Regiment would most probably have worn one similar to those of the Kenya Battalions of the K.A.R., being black crow's feathers.

I’ve attached a scan of an original Kenya Regiment pagri flash and badge from my own collection.

Best regards,

Zob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (97.6 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by zob; 16-08-12 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 17-08-12, 06:58 AM

Thanks Zob,

That is most interesting,the item came from a Railway Engineer who was given the hat by a member of the Kenya Regiment when he was working there in the 1960`s on secondment.

A keen competition shooter, I understand his contact with members of the regiment came through his shooting activities. What do you think about the coloured upper folds to the pagri ?

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”