British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-07-16, 06:21 PM

Default New Arty Badges.

1.The current in-service metal cap badges of The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery (RCA) are styled entirely on the now obsolete 1961 RCA Badge design and not on the currently authorized RCA Badge design of 15 June 2006.
2.Beginning in the summer of 2013 new updated molds / samples were prepared based on the 2006 design and RCA approval was granted. Master samples and official requests were submitted for CF approval in June 2014. The small beret and both large forage (peaked) cap metal badges are being replaced. With the lack of fidelity on the cloth cap badge no design changes are needed.
3.Because the new RCA cap badges have been deemed “upgrades” and not “new” badge designs the process was greatly expedited, however it also means there will not be a “free exchange” of cap badges at CF Supply depots.
4.The RCA Regimental Fund and the RCA Kitshop & Warehouse are both subsidizing the initial cost of these new badges.
5.All RegF and PRes 00368 pers are required to be wearing the new updated RCA badge by NLT 26 May 2016.
6.The following illustrations show the differences between the 1961 and 2006 badge designs and photos of the new updated RCA Badges.

Old 18-07-16, 06:23 PM

NEW

OBSOLETE
Old 18-07-16, 06:25 PM

Default NEW Bronze and Gilt

These are from the same molds, using different materials, size remains the same as in service badge.
-
The Offrs bronze badge (Insignia Service Cap Offr, RCA) reflects pre 68 colour/finish and style retaining the spinner wheel.
-
The NCO gilt badge (Insignia Service Cap NCM, RCA) reflects pre 68 finish and style with the addition of the spinner wheel.
-
Current and customary use is with the IG & AIG peaked caps and with RCA Band Dress.
Old 18-07-16, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

To add, apparently the "new crown" design is to be used on all badges and will not be changed in the event of a new monarch.
Old 18-07-16, 07:30 PM

Awesome, 4 more 'gun' badges to collect and I haven't left any room for them on my RCA/RNZA board.

I don't suppose these are available from the RCA kitshop for overseas buyers?

Keith
Old 18-07-16, 07:31 PM

Who says it has too? The monarch picks the crown that will represent them, this King's crown- Queen's crown is a myth.
Old 18-07-16, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

The information that was passed on to me was that there is a coronation crown that was the only correct crown to represent the monarch. Regardless of the gender of the monarch.
Old 19-07-16, 06:24 PM

I shudder to think of the cost involved if the Kings Crown is adopted when the Queen steps down, the govt agency I work for went through three name changes in the last six years. Every uniform crest, vehicle decal, stationary was changed each time.
Old 20-07-16, 08:42 AM

The new design is bleedin' 'orrible. That strange looking lop-sided top scroll is odd and the whole thing looks out of kilter. A monstrosity of a badge in my humble opinion.
Old 20-07-16, 11:12 AM

This is the worst Artillery badge I have ever seen (so far). The UBIQUE scroll is missing an end and the crown is just hideous. The muzzle is far too flared and the trail looks like a bent construction girder.

Marc
Old 20-07-16, 06:37 PM

It was not a popular change, the actual badges are worse than the pictures suggest. Many of the gunners had nice brass badges that they spent their own hard earned money to purchase, and took the time to polish them.
Old 20-07-16, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Tanker Mike, that is the point I was making. I was told that the entire army will be adopting the new type of crown, and it is not a queen's crown, but is I think the term used was coronation crown. IT was also indicated that there will never be a change in the crown style due to a monarch. So if the new crown is adopted on all the badges, it will not need to be changed should the monarch change.
Old 20-07-16, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

And I agree with Bruce. The actual badge is worse looking than the previous pattern. It is the oddest stylization of the crown I have seen.
Old 20-07-16, 08:15 PM

Default Crowns

There is no King or Queen's crown. We currently use the St. Edward's crown: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Edward%27s_Crown

It has been used by both Kings and Queens.

The older crown was the Tudor crown: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudor_Crown

A quick search indicates that there are many crowns held by the Royal Family. Theoretically the next monarch could use any one of them to symbolize their monarchy.

Royal Regiment of Scotland use the crown of Scotland on their badge.

I'm not sure were Bill is getting his info from, but it doesn't surprise me. We are not just talking about cap badges, but collar dogs, rank insignia (Snr officers and WOs), and everything else. And not just the CAF, but any department that uses the crown, the post office for example.
Old 20-07-16, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Info came from "a source" in AHQ. Unfortunately, no "documentation" to back it up yet.