British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-03-13, 03:32 PM
LYPAO Boff

Gordon

There is no way we would see that kind of detail from the photo print in Robs post...... it would just be nice to see the oval shape with a bit more clarity... that's all

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 29-03-13, 03:45 PM

You can drip at me all you want I can understand your theory, but it's proof we need not a photo that 'could' be something or the other. On the brighter side, it could be a tiny piece of the jigsaw we need to complete the hypothesis. Let the search continue.
Old 29-03-13, 04:09 PM

Hi Gar and Griff

We are all singing from the same hymnsheet. We need better pictures.
There must be some out there; no regiment can exist for the best part of 15 years (1900-1914) without some photographs being taken. The question is where else can we look?

My thanks for your inputs.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 29-03-13, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
You can drip at me all you want I can understand your theory, but it's proof we need not a photo that 'could' be something or the other. On the brighter side, it could be a tiny piece of the jigsaw we need to complete the hypothesis. Let the search continue.
Hello Rockape

Lets drip a little

Firstly, what Gordon stated was not a theory, the 14H 'cartwheel' cap badge did not appear until WWI, that is a fact.

Secondly, the images I posted, though not brilliant in resolution, indicate and oval badge. It is not a question of it being something or the other.

Thirdly,the real question is if its not the 1st pattern oval badge, what is it?

If there is no plausable/credible alternative then IMO that is reasonable proof of wear.

As the date of the images is 1903, I suggest its most likely to be the Oval Cap Badge.

Looking to the brighter side, it would have been a benefit to all if you had come up with an alternative in your post, thus being pro-active rather than negative, and lead to further debate.

However,I do welcome constructive criticism, and I quite agree that we need a better image of this badge in wear.
Many people, and indeed notable ones, over the years have searched for images and none have been found for Other Ranks, and only the ones I have posted for Officers have been found to date, as far as I am aware.
The search will continue!

Rob
Old 29-03-13, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robthereiver View Post
If there is no plausable/credible alternative then IMO that is reasonable proof of wear.

it would have been a benefit to all if you had come up with an alternative in your post, thus being pro-active rather than negative, and lead to further debate.
Looks as though you have convinced yourself it is the oval badge and are suggesting that any counter-argument (therefore negative) does not add to discussion.

My argument is based on the evidence provided in this thread so far. Historians have told us that the regiment wore the badge up until 1915. Where is the proof? There are badges around but no-one has seen any photos of them being worn. Linaker and Dine suggest in their MHS publication that unofficial badges were worn in the Edwardian period. Who's to say that the officer is not wearing a gilt/silver embroidered hawk on an oval cloth backing? I'm not suggesting that is the answer at all, but who can tell without some more evidence?

So, if no photographic evidence is around, why not try and delve into the logistical side of things: Clothing direction orders from command or purchase ledgers. Guys on the forum seem to have those for other units so why not this unit?
Old 30-03-13, 11:13 AM
LYPAO Boff

Rob

I dont doubt that its oval...... I would just like to see a better image. If you just scan that area of the picture at 600dpi or higher and then email across to me I will clean it up for you (and others) to see

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 30-03-13, 06:10 PM

Griff

I concur. I have a copy of the book in which Rob found them and they are really too difficult to improve. But, nevertheless, this is the first real indication I have seen and all credit to Rob for spotting it. As I said in an earlier post there must be some photographs somewhere. That, coupled with Gar's suggestion that we try harder to seek out the documentation which approved this particular badge, may get us closer to the truth.

We may be in for the long haul but it will be very satisfying when we find it.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 01-04-13, 10:44 PM
LYPAO Boff

14th Hussars Officer group.... looks like an Oval to me

* Poor scan of a good postcard I am afraid... its the best I can do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14HOfficerGroup.jpg (75.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg large14HOfficer.jpg (54.9 KB, 71 views)

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 02-04-13, 06:12 AM

Hi Griff

Well done; it does look like an oval. I know we shall be accused of grasping at straws in our efforts to identify this badge being worn and I realise this is only the second image to be found but the more people become interested the better our chances.

I don't suppose there is a date for this postcard or details of where it was taken?

Many thanks

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 02-04-13, 07:15 AM

Well, I first glanced at the photo and thought, that's an improvement But then had a careful look......The gentleman seated middle row two from left. Look at what is on his left knee! Suddenly, the evidence has shifted significantly. I think this is a great find, well done Griff and to all those who participated in this discussion.

Gar
Old 02-04-13, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
14th Hussars Officer group.... looks like an Oval to me

* Poor scan of a good postcard I am afraid... its the best I can do.
Griff

Good find. I concur, nice to have confirmation of the Welbeck images.

There appears to be two officers in the image with the 1898 pattern oval Cap badge in their caps, the other is 2nd row, 2nd from left.

There will be the doubting Thomas's, who want clear detailed images before they're convinced.......unfortunately I haven't a Tardis, so I can't wiz back to 1903 ish and take a better one.....lol.

Also,I have been advised there was a Silver & gilt version of this badge and I am trying to acquire confirmation of that, possibly an image as well.

Well done

Rob
Old 02-04-13, 08:12 AM
LYPAO Boff

The cap of the seated chap on the left...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large14HOfficerCap.jpg (61.8 KB, 48 views)

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 02-04-13, 08:54 AM

Quote:
The cap of the seated chap on the left...
Griff

IMO thats the best image of them all to date.

Well done,again!

Rob
Old 02-04-13, 12:50 PM
LYPAO Boff

The Pith Helmets are interesting as well..... here is a representation of what I think might be on the pagri?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large14HOfficerPitPugBadge.jpg (40.2 KB, 57 views)

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 02-04-13, 04:43 PM

Quote:
The Pith Helmets are interesting as well..... here is a representation of what I think might be on the pagri?
Good effort, but there just is not the resolution to see what exactly is on the flash. However, I'm not entirely convinced there is anything, granted there could be, and if so it could just as easily be the 1898 pattern again. The angle of the helmet does not help.

During the Boer war it was unusual to see any insignia on the Khaki Helmets, Flashes accepted, what happen in the years just after I'm not sure. What would help would be to know the date of this Postcard.

Rob