British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-02-12, 02:21 AM

Default The Lawrence Military School - Sanawar

Attached find illustrated what I believe is a helmet pagri badge (?) of The Lawrence Royal Military School, Sanawar

I suggest it is a helmet pagri badge as it is of rather large dimensions being just over 2 inches in diameter. The badge is cast in gilding metal.

Question 1): Can anyone positively identify that it is a helmet pagri badge, or is it something else?

The insignia came as part of a lot of that belonged to a British Officer of the Indian Army, who had served many years with the Unattached List on attachment with various Auxiliary Force India units. As such I suspect the badge is one that he himself wore perhaps in his secondary capacity as regional instructor in charge of both AFI and Cadet force units that were within his designated range.

Question 2): As the Lawrence Military School was located in 4 different locations, i.e., Sanawar, Mount Abu, Lovedale and Ghora Ghali, does anyone know whether similar badges like the one illustrated was issued for the other locations, and if so did those badges include their unique names, i.e. Mount Abu, Lovedale, Ghora Ghali

Any positive ID of this badge type and or of other variants showing the names of the different locations will be appreciated.

In advance thanks
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sanawar 001.jpg (46.5 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Aberdeen Medals; 27-02-12 at 11:00 AM.
Old 27-02-12, 04:21 PM

See MHS Bulletins Nos 45 & 47. The first gives a history of the school, but no mention of the "outstations" in your post. The second depicts the Helmet Badge, as you illustrate. This has been repro'd and is in a yellower brass.
There are two further badges of the same design of which I am aware; A(?)Cap Badge (38x29mm), and a smaller version, ?collar.
Furthermore I have another badge in brass, depicting the crest in wm - that's the device above the shield of the main badge - within an oval, inscribed, "Never Give In", surmounted by a KC. All this upon a "V". Total dimensions 35x35mm. Could this have been for a Field Service Cap?
Old 29-02-12, 02:21 AM

Thanks for the confirmation of the illustrated insignia being a helmet badge.

Mark