British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-06-08, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Halls View Post
I'm no expert but the slider's taper looks too harsh akin to the early restrikes, the colour of the metal looks wrong also to me. Afraid I would give it the thumbs down, but that's coming from an infantry collector's point of view.

Luke
Thanks Luke,
I sort of thought this one would be too good to be true.

CB
Old 20-03-09, 11:59 AM

Default 10th Royal Hussars Economy

I saw this on ebay being sold for the sum of £54.99 by one of the recommended dealers we have on this forum, Does anyone have an opinion, is it genuine? or a restrike.
I have one ill show later for comparison.

Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7115_1.jpg (23.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 7220_1.jpg (25.3 KB, 72 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 20-03-09, 12:54 PM

hello joachim.

the 10th below come from my grandfather WW1 collection

i hope that the pictures can help....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03426-.JPG (22.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03427-.JPG (21.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03539-.JPG (26.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 20-03-09, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanpit-frenchy View Post
hello joachim.

the 10th below come from my grandfather WW1 collection

i hope that the pictures can help....
Hi Jeanpit
you can see the differences just looking at the two badges,yours is how i would expect it to look from the front, the sellers badge looks dumpy, short title scroll and what looks like welch reg type feathers.
Here is my badge the only difference is that mine is one stamping.

Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10th Royal Hussars.jpg (69.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 10th Royal Hussars 2.jpg (54.2 KB, 52 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 20-03-09 at 02:34 PM.
Old 20-03-09, 04:16 PM

Unhappy 10th Hussars economy

With an economy badge, I would expect to see a one piece strike with a slider, I am sure this has been discussed in another thread.
Old 20-03-09, 05:01 PM

Economy badges... Collector opinions vary so much. Additionally, what was really manufactured or worn at the time may never be known with certainty. This makes them a minefield I tend avoid.

CB
Old 20-03-09, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
With an economy badge, I would expect to see a one piece strike with a slider, I am sure this has been discussed in another thread.
So would I, but the original question doesn't ask why this may or may not be a re-strike (or reproduction*). If it's because it's a two part badge, despite the differences between them, the same has to also be pointed at Jeanpit's badge. This has undoubted provenance and as JP says came from his grandfather's collection so that's good enough for me to believe it's genuine and there's no reason to beleive the badge in question isn't also. The alternative is they're both repros.

(*A re-strike rather than repro would also be two part and made from original dies)

Last edited by Viletone; 20-03-09 at 05:39 PM.
Old 20-03-09, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viletone View Post
So would I, but the original question doesn't ask why this may or may not be a re-strike (or reproductions*). If it's because it's a two part badge, despite the differences between them, the same has to also be pointed at Jeanpit's badge. This has undoubted provenance and as JP says came from his grandfather's collection so that's good enough for me to believe it's genuine and there's no reason to beleive the badge in question isn't also. The alternative is they're both repros.

(*A re-strike rather than repro would also be two part)
not in the first question but i did in the second reply imo its a bad restrike/repo whatever you want to call it, as it was pointed out the manafacture of economies has been decussed before, what i was asking if people thought this was original or a restrike i have give my reasons why i think it s not original, you seem to be sitting on the fence,

Malc

Old 20-03-09, 06:02 PM

Default 10th Hussars

Hi all;

Not the strike I would expect for an Economy badge. The Example I have and would say its Genuine, is a one piece strike with 2 very fine lugs . This badge came from the peter Bailey Cavarly Collection .Unfortunatley working away at the moment but will post a pic on my return.

3748 Hussar

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
not in the first question but i did in the second reply imo its a bad restrike/repo whatever you want to call it, as it was pointed out the manafacture of economies has been decussed before, what i was asking if people thought this was original or a restrike i have give my reasons why i think it s not original, you seem to be sitting on the fence,

Malc
Old 20-03-09, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post

Malc
I'm not getting splinters in my arse. I stated quite clearly I'd rather have a one piece badge as I would in any economy. What I'm asking is as follows: Is the original question doubting the provenance of the badge because is it's two piece ? If the answer is yes then is JP's also repro despite it coming from his grandfather's collection ?
Old 20-03-09, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Personally I would want a badge like Joachims in my collection. Sliders were the official method of fixing from 1906 and economies should be one piece.

You do get all brass badges made in 2 pieces, Cheshire Yeo for example, but these are not true 1916 economies.

Alan
Old 20-03-09, 06:31 PM

Ok for the record, in my opioion the badge i put in the first post i was asking for other peoples thoughts not mine, in the second post i said the badge looks dumpy the title scroll is short and the feathers look like the welch reg feathers, and just to please it should not be two part and this is my opinion,

Malc

Old 20-03-09, 06:38 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default 10th Hussars

Hello everyone,

Because of my penchant for getting myself into trouble, I am definitely going to sit on the fence.

I have been told very recently ( my Infantry album has been heavily discussed and one of my favourite economy badges was unceremoniously dispatched to that great auction site ), that economy badges were generally one piece and had a slider.

Having said that, despite all the talk of provenance and who's badge is good and who's is in doubt etc, has anyone actually looked at the badges in question ?

The first photo's shows a completely different badge to both J.P.'s and Malcolm's examples, were there two variants ??

If not, I would ask why ? in the first photo the ' ich dien ' scroll is at a far steeper angle than those shown in the other two photo's ??? and the actual 10th Hussars scroll in the first photo is shorter than that scroll in both J.P's example and Malcolm's, is no-one else seeing this ???

Another point, regardless of whether the badge should be one piece or tabbed, has anyone again, not noticed the colour of the tabs in the first photo and again, compared it with J.P.'s ???

I would argue very strongly, that the first example appears to be a made up badge, particularly the feathers and the ich dien scroll, they are completely different from the the second and third examples, possibly even from a completely different badge ??

This is just my take on this and as always, I am open to be corrected, I nearly always am anyway but .................................................. .............

Regards.

Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 20-03-09 at 07:12 PM.
Old 20-03-09, 06:46 PM
Former Member

IMO the one shown in the 1st post is a copy!! and at a crazy price! J-F's badge looks fine to me despite being a 2-part construction!

IMO
Old 20-03-09, 07:03 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default 10th Hussars

Has no-one got anything to say about the different style of the badges, or are there two variants ??

Dave.

Tags
1916 all brass, economy