British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-12-08, 04:02 AM

Default British Security Coordination Cap Badge!

I've been trying to find out any information on the creation and design and maker(s) of the (BSC) cap badge etc,. I've heard from a reliable source that Security Officers based in Rockerfeller Centre Office (BSC-HQ) only wore this insignia.

Does any one here know of what makers manufactured this badge and how many were issued? Was their a Officers Pattern and a Other Ranks Pattern as well?

Here's a link on this topic and the Cap Badge is at the very bottom of this article!

http://webhome.idirect.com/~lhodgson/officers1942.htm

Christopher
Old 10-12-08, 08:40 PM

Default 2nd Badge. BSC.,

Here's the 2nd type of cap badge of the British Security Coordination!

http://www.campxhistoricalsociety.ca...s/BSCbadge.jpg
Old 10-12-08, 09:42 PM

I saw the BSC badge you posted at a display the Camp X Historical Society put on at a conference I was at a couple of years ago. The curator told me that he had purchased it from a well-known Canadain dealer and that it was extremely rare. He led me to understand that it cost a bundle. He wouldn't be drawn in to how much, but it was my impression he probably paid hundreds if not more for it. He also told me that it was an unofficial badge worn by guards since Camp X was supposed to be top secret and was subsequently withdrawn. Therefore, there probably aren't many around. From what I remember it was brass, and somewhat larger than most cap badges.
Old 11-12-08, 12:37 AM

Here's a picture of both badges for comparison. As David says, the second type is quite large, at 63mm tall x 69mm wide. The 'small' pattern is about 46mm tall x 42mm wide. Both pieces are maker marked W Scully Ltd. Both have conventional lug fasteners.

I have never seen officers' versions of these - precious metal, darkened, or otherwise. I don't know if such a thing exists or not.

These are not common badges today, & I would guess they were fairly low production. It's hard to imaging that the BSC would have had enough uniformed personnel to justify a large run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BSC.jpg (32.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 12-12-08, 03:53 AM

Default Thanks.

Gentlemen,
Thank you both for the information provided, appreciate your assistance in this area. I recently spoke with the author of Inside Camp X, Mr Lynn Philip Hodgson and he mentioned to me via telephone that he obtained his B.S.C. cap badge in the 1970's for $50.00 Canadian. He also spoke of a recent one going rate at $400.00 (U.S.)

The personal that wore this cap badge were security officers attached to British Security Coordination (H.Q.) in Rockefeller Centre in New York City and not at Camp X. (STS 103) S.O.E., Oshawa,Ontario,Canada.

I wonder just how many of these rare cap badges were manufactured? Probably not many and I hope to find out with more research in the near future.

Thanks again!

Sincerely

Christopher.
Old 12-12-08, 07:56 AM

I've been on the lookout for one of these badges and so far have only sourced a shoulder title...... :-(

Nice badges BTW mate :-)

Tom
Old 12-12-08, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Tom, Could you post an image of your shoulder title?
Old 12-12-08, 12:17 PM

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...itish+security

Tom
Old 13-12-08, 12:55 AM

Smile B.S.C. Titles,.

Many thanks again for providing the photo of the shoulder title on the BSC. I've never seen a photograph of one, until now!

I wonder if they're ever was collar insignia for Officers as well?

I appreciate the assistance in this area.

Cheers
Christopher.
Old 13-12-08, 04:57 PM

I bought mine from Peter Taylor (I believe he may have the other one of the pair, he said that the shoulder insignia was worn more often than the hat insignia, although why I'm not 100% sure....).

Tom
Old 14-12-08, 04:11 PM

Default Thanks Tom!

Tom,
Thanks again for the info!

Regards.

Christopher
Old 14-12-08, 06:19 PM

Hi,

No worries, glad I could help :-)

ATB,
Tom
Old 19-12-08, 04:47 PM

I'm unsure of Lou still has one but in his Summer 2008 he lists a BSC cap badge. Lou's web site is www.grimshaw-military.on.ca . He's an excellant resoource & dealer.
Jaime
Old 02-01-09, 02:06 AM

Default Hey Thanks!

Jaime,
Thanks for the scoop on the BSC cap badge!! Very much appreciate the help in locating this item.

If you also know where I can obtain a set of Officers (General Service List) Badge and collar insignia, either British or Canadian Army ie, Kings Crown pattern.

Thanks again.

PS, Happy New Year

Chris
Old 02-05-09, 02:35 AM

Default BSC Records of Insignia?

I've been searching for historical records on the amount of metal badges that were manufactured by William Scully Ltd, alas to no avail?

The representative that I written too, told me that don't have archival records that far, and only manufactured Canadian units!

So, where did they exactly were manufactured? In Montreal,Canada!? Or perhaps purchased in England, and then shipped over here in North America!?

If they were made in Canada, perhaps a small private purchase was done for the British Security Co-ordination, off the records so to speak due to security and intelligence considerations perhaps?

Also, were they only for Security Officers located at Rockefeller Centre!?

Where are the records of these rare badges located if any, in the archives in Canada, or UK, possibly the U.S.A.!?

I have a large pattern B.S.C. badge and their are no markings on it what so ever!??