British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-10-11, 03:33 PM

Default Cyclist VTC ?

The top of this badge almost looks like a crown may have been removed, in fact the vendor says that is what officially happened, is this correct and does anyone have an original for comparison? Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rr1.jpg (40.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg rr2.jpg (41.5 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Rob Miller; 13-10-11 at 03:36 PM. Reason: not sure I made sence the first time
Old 13-10-11, 04:11 PM

Default Cyclist VTC

I've never seen one of these before, but I am pretty sure the VTC weren't entitled to a Croen on their badges as they weren't officially sanctioned by the War Office. Once official sanction was given all VTC units were re-badged as General Service Corps, wearing the Royal Arms.

Stephen.
Old 13-10-11, 04:50 PM

Default Cyclists VTC

Rob,

I've got one, and it looks exactly the same as the one illustrated. I have been told, as the description states, that it is an arm badge for VTC cyclists; that it is as the cap badge, but with the crown removed. That is fairly clear from the rear; as you can see it looks pretty complete from the front.

Without disagreeing too much with Badjez, quite a lot of VTC badges did have the crown...

I can't do links, but if you look at a thread entitled "Hackney Volunteer Corps 1914" under General Topics, you'll find a copy of a page of the MHS Bulletin that 8thFoot posted to show the Hackney badge featuring in a Hugh king article about VTC badges not in K&K. Coincidentally, another badge illustrated on the same page is this Cyclists badge, but with a crown!

If anyone has any photographic evidence of this badge (with or without the crown) I'd love to see it!

Best regards,
Tim
Old 13-10-11, 05:43 PM

Thank you both for your replies.

I'm sure I read somewhere that VTC units had to obtain there own uniforms and equipment, if this was the case it seems odd that they had access to "issue" Northern cyclist battalion badges and where allowed to... is mutilate too harsh a word?

If this is an arm badge this presumable makes it a qualification badge to show that the VTC member was cyclist trained?

Does it also mean that this could have been worn by VTC cyclists anywhere in the country or particulaly Northern VTC cyclists?

All thoughts and theories welcome. Rob.
Old 13-10-11, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Thank you both for your replies.

I'm sure I read somewhere that VTC units had to obtain there own uniforms and equipment, if this was the case it seems odd that they had access to "issue" Northern cyclist battalion badges and where allowed to... is mutilate too harsh a word?

If this is an arm badge this presumable makes it a qualification badge to show that the VTC member was cyclist trained?

Does it also mean that this could have been worn by VTC cyclists anywhere in the country or particulaly Northern VTC cyclists?

All thoughts and theories welcome. Rob.
Yes it is a VTC cyclists arm badge and any unit could form a cyclist section if they so wished.
Old 13-10-11, 09:09 PM

I have a similar badge' Royal army medical corps , Crown removed, scroll erased, and a wheel from a Royal Artillery badge fixed to the front. The late Brian Arbery had at least two variations in his collection , He thought they may have been volunteer ambulance driver items?
Old 14-10-11, 10:26 AM

Cyclists.jpg

I know a lot of you badge collectors, tend to think of us collectors/researchers as "geeks" for some of the depth's we go to to find out about Dress, Badges & Regulations. However those volumes of Regulations do come up with information on those gems which you pick up. Please find attached reference to your Cyclists badge from the "Official Regulations for the Volunteer Training Corps" - published 1916.
Old 14-10-11, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
Attachment 50993

I know a lot of you badge collectors, tend to think of us collectors/researchers as "geeks" for some of the depth's we go to to find out about Dress, Badges & Regulations. However those volumes of Regulations do come up with information on those gems which you pick up. Please find attached reference to your Cyclists badge from the "Official Regulations for the Volunteer Training Corps" - published 1916.
I'm hurting! Seriously it should all go hand in hand. Photographic evidence and the like can be as costly as the actual badges in question. Nice one Graham.
Old 14-10-11, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
Attachment 50993

Thank you very much Graham you are a star, not a geek.

Regards Rob
Old 18-10-11, 07:40 PM

Default CLB Cyclist

Hope you guys don't mind me butting in on your thread. I have a rare Cyclist Badge to the Church Lads Brigade. I just wanted to share it with you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_0101stkir0070a.JPG (92.2 KB, 28 views)
My avatar shows the St Martin's Banner, which was dedicated to all those from the Church Lads Brigade who were killed in the 1st World War, some 20,000 men. It is in the safe keeping of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster Abbey.
Old 18-10-11, 07:43 PM

That's a super badge.
Old 18-10-11, 09:46 PM

Smile

I second that !!!!!!

Dave