British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-02-13, 05:21 PM

Default British Antarctic Survey Cap Badge?

Hi all, Anyone able to identify the two cap badges pictured? I have been told they are British Antarctic Survey? they are obviously very different in design and one just looks like a Royal Naval Officers cap badge with a piece of badly cut white felt placed behined the anchor!

Anyone got an image of a genuine BAS cap badge to compare?

Regards

Tony
Old 19-02-13, 09:43 AM

Hi Tony

The one on the right is the same as the one in my collection and I have no doubts about it being genunine. Yes it is a British Antartic Survey cap badge

The one on the left is a very poor made up one. The white backing behind the anchor should be leather not felt.

Hope this helps

David
Old 19-02-13, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID B HOWELL View Post
Hi Tony

The one on the right is the same as the one in my collection and I have no doubts about it being genunine. Yes it is a British Antartic Survey cap badge

The one on the left is a very poor made up one. The white backing behind the anchor should be leather not felt.

Hope this helps

David
Hi David, thats great, unfortunately I was outbid on the one on the right, but a long image search on ebays confirmed that it is a genuine example, they seem quite rare though and so far the only genuine one I have seen to date!

Tony
Old 19-02-13, 04:51 PM

I was also outbid on the right hand badge the only one I had ever seen on sale. Looks like Tony and I were bidding against each other
Old 19-02-13, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
I was also outbid on the right hand badge the only one I had ever seen on sale. Looks like Tony and I were bidding against each other
Hi Phil, Hmm I was outbid on the Sealink Officer cap badge too and before that the Canadian Naval Auxiliaries Officers cap badge and did'nt even bother with the Shell Tankers Officers cap badge it reached so much so quickly! Dont seem to be having much luck these days! Though I did successfully bid on a British Sailors Society cap badge!

Regards Tony
Old 19-02-13, 05:38 PM

Hi Tony,

So it was you who outbid me on the British Sailors Society badge what are the chances!!!!?????

Merchant Navy stuff does appear to be rather popular lately.

Phil
Old 20-02-13, 05:42 PM

Hi Gents
Excuse me "butting-in" with my tuppenceworth, but I am just wondering how it can be asserted (and indeed confirmed) that the two cap badges referred to above are British Antarctic Survey items ?
I served with BAS from 1965 to 1969, and, if my memory serves me correct, there were only two ships operated by BAS at that time, viz ; RRS Shackleton and RRS John Biscoe. Both had only three officers on board (the crew wore no badges or uniform) so these badges must be very rare and were probably supplied from a "bog standard" merchant tailor. Both ships flew the Red Ensign at the rear (with no badge) and none at the front end. Also they were not ice-strenghened and did not venture further South than Stonnington Island off the Palmer Peninsular (approx 70S). The hired Danish ships Magga Dan, Kista Dan, and Perla Dan, being used to go further South to say Halley Bay 75S 26W.
I may be able to post some further information later (if anyone is interested) but that is my view re the badges and uniform of BAS personnel. Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 20-02-13 at 07:09 PM.
Old 20-02-13, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William View Post
Hi Gents
Excuse me "butting-in" with my tuppenceworth, but I am just wondering how it can be asserted (and indeed confirmed) that the two cap badges referred to above are British Antarctic Survey items ?
I served with BAS from 1965 to 1969, and, if my memory serves me correct, there were only two ships operated by BAS at that time, viz ; RRS Shackleton and RRS John Biscoe. Both had only three officers on board (the crew wore no badges or uniform) so these badges must be very rare and were probably supplied from a "bog standard" merchant tailor. Both ships flew the Red Ensign at the rear (with no badge) and none at the front end. Also they were not ice-strenghened and did not venture further South than Stonnington Island off the Palmer Peninsular (approx 70S). The hired Danish ships Magga Dan, Kista Dan, and Perla Dan, being used to go further South to say Halley Bay 75S 26W.
I may be able to post some further information later (if anyone is interested) but that is my view re the badges and uniform of BAS personnel. Jeff

Hi Jeff, Thats very interesting! I've recently done a lot of research on this matter and I think things have definately changed, the badge on ebay was definately BAS, pictures below now confirm this. It would seem that they also do now have their own defaced blue ensign and fly a jack also, pictures below also show this!

But thanks anyway, shows how things progress and always great to hear from people who have actually been part of it!

Regards

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detail BAS Cap Badge.jpg (25.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg BAS Officer.jpg (53.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: png British Antarctic Survey Ensign.png (10.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg RSS James Clark Ross.jpg (63.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg BAS Skipper.jpg (24.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 21-02-13, 09:04 AM

Hi Tony
Thanks for the reply and the pics. As you say, things seem to have changed a bit and these pics would confirm it. I see the new ship is called the "James Clark Ross" (very appropriate), however I bet it is a converted "Dan" ship ! Will research this and let you know later. Regards. Jeff
Old 21-02-13, 03:12 PM

Default mea culpa

Hi Tony and all
Re my last post : Forgive my cynicism, the RRS "James Clark Ross" was in fact built by Swan Hunter, Wallsend and launched by HM the Queen on 1st Dec 1990. Crumbs, I didn't know that and am pleased to learn that we at last commissioned a British Shipyard to construct her.
I see too that she flies the "Blue duster" but from what I can gather, the badge superimposed is that of the British Antarctic Territories (not BAS).

BAT blue ensign.pdf

all the very best to all of you and sorry if i "rocked the boat" regards. Jeff

PS: Hmm...sorry, that doesnt appear to work...cant seem to load it
Old 21-02-13, 04:03 PM

Default BAS ships

Jeff
You may already be aware of this but an earlier research ship the RRS Bransfield was new built, in 1970 by Robb Coledon of Leith. This has now been replace with the RRS Ernest Sackelton, formerly the MV Polar Queen, built Bergen 1995.
Myles
Old 21-02-13, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William View Post
Hi Tony and all
Re my last post : Forgive my cynicism, the RRS "James Clark Ross" was in fact built by Swan Hunter, Wallsend and launched by HM the Queen on 1st Dec 1990. Crumbs, I didn't know that and am pleased to learn that we at last commissioned a British Shipyard to construct her.
I see too that she flies the "Blue duster" but from what I can gather, the badge superimposed is that of the British Antarctic Territories (not BAS).

Attachment 78167

all the very best to all of you and sorry if i "rocked the boat" regards. Jeff

PS: Hmm...sorry, that doesnt appear to work...cant seem to load it
Hi Jeff, I'm no expert on this but I think the British Antarctic Territories flag for use on land is now a white ensign, I believe instituted in 1998, the blue ensign now being used for the BAS ships, I think the ensign on your link is the BAT government ensign, though I'm not sure when or where it is flown?

Please dont think you "rocked the boat" Your opinions are of those of someone who was there and part of it, and therefore quite valid and correct and I'm sure all would aggree very much valued! The great thing about this forum is we all have experience of things and knowledge to share, and although things have changed ( I think largely as a result of the 1982 conflict and a need to show more forceably who owns what down south!) I found your knowledge of BAS during your time with them facinating, so thanks for sharing!

Regards Tony