British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-11-10, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Default Froggy problem

German bayonet.....how do I get the frog off? does that oval thingy with the number stamped on it unscrew??

yes I'm a bayonet idiot.

Old 21-11-10, 01:57 PM

Mike

Pull frog as far up-wards as you can and then prise over the top of the stud.
If it is very tight some force will be required. You may need to soften up the leather first.

Myles
Old 21-11-10, 02:15 PM
Badge Guru

You dont. Its probably Ersatz........better left as it is, so as not to cause damage to the frog.
Old 21-11-10, 03:07 PM

Mike,

I'm told, by several dealers I've visited with, that bayonets are more valuable with their frog than without. So, leave it as is would be, IMHO, good advice. Also, "oval thingy", great technical description. It may very well screw on but I wouldn't try to unscrew it. Even if you can I wouldn't expect it to go back on as securely as it was attached before it came off. I've heard too many horror stories about people destroying the value of antiques by cleaning them or otherwise "improving" them. Finally, is "oval thingy" really part of the Queen's English? I thought it was a usage more likely to be found out here in the former colonies than in the mother country. (Sorry, couldn't resist. )

Don
Old 21-11-10, 03:58 PM

It's a Kar 98k bayonet with cavalry frog (heer didn't have the retaining strap I think) if my memory serves me correctly..... it is very nicely paired with the numbers and it would suggest the whole thing has been together from day 1, I would leave as is, as the germans utilised pressed fibre and this may crack/split etc.... On the whole a gorgeous bayonet, any makers marks on the blade??

Tom
Old 21-11-10, 04:06 PM
Administrator

I think I'll leave it alone then. It was just to put some leather feeder on it then put it back on. I don't think it will take too kindly to being forced off.

Quote:
any makers marks on the blade??

yes at the top, it's got '42asw' on one side and '2563' on the other... will the '42' be the year?
Old 21-11-10, 05:24 PM
Badge Guru

Hi Mike,

I am afraid that there are many items of Germans equipment which are not classic text book. If your fighting 'last ditch' in the ruins of Berlin your not really only going to be concerned with what branch of services your bayonet frogg came from as long as it holds a bayonet! Leave it be!

The factual basis for my point is that there were Battalions of infantry at the end of the war equiped with just about any weapon they could find.
Old 21-11-10, 06:36 PM

Hello Mike, it seems that your bayonet with the 3-letter code "asw" stands for the maker E.& F. Hoerster,Solingen. As for the "oval thingy" some poepple call that a frog stud.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 21-11-10, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Hello Mike, it seems that your bayonet with the 3-letter code "asw" stands for the maker E.& F. Hoerster,Solingen. As for the "oval thingy" some poepple call that a frog stud.

Jo

Many thanks Jo, all interesting stuff.
Old 22-11-10, 12:42 PM

Jo wrote 'As for the "oval thingy" some people call that a frog stud.'

Over here in the Canadas we call big oval thingies "snowshoes" for 9 months of the year, and "tennis racquets' for the other 3 months. Little oval thingies are either 'whatchamacallums' [civilian talk] or or 'that bl**dy little round thing' [technical military term].