British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Officer Training and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-11-08, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Default Wellington Rifles

In my travels yesterday I was in Guelph. Cadets were distributing poppies at various locations, and many of the cadets were from the Wellington Rifles. They were wearing an interesting cap badge to the Wellington Rifles Cadets, which is very similar to the variety shown in Mazeas Pre-1914 at CD 19. Gun metal grey finish.
Old 09-11-08, 04:57 PM

Interesting Bill, I don't suppose you were able to persuade one of the young people to part with their badge?? Any leads on where one could be obtained? I was not aware the Wellington Rifles even existed. Time for me to review and read again.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 20-08-14, 11:58 PM

Default Chrome too.

I have a chromed cap badge for The Wellington Rifles, so as well as using grey metal the cadets in Guelph must also use chrome badges.
Old 21-08-14, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Drew, Hard to remember on a six year old post. Is the badge the Wellington Rifles or the Wellington Rifles cadets?
Old 21-08-14, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Drew, Hard to remember on a six year old post. Is the badge the Wellington Rifles or the Wellington Rifles cadets?
Hi Bill. The one I have is chrome but the same pattern as The Wellington Regiment. I have always assumed that, since it's chromed, it's used currently by cadets, and isn't something that was used in chromed format in the 1920s and early 1930s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2223.jpg (58.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2224.jpg (69.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 21-08-14, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the images. The badge I saw was that gun metal finish, like Les Voltigeurs enamel badge. With six years in the interim, the cadets may have taken the chrome badge into wear, or it may have been prior to the gun metal one I saw.
Old 21-08-14, 02:04 PM

....can this help...
Jo
http://www.armycadethistory.com/Cade...db_cc_1882.htm

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 22-08-14, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Thanks for the images. The badge I saw was that gun metal finish, like Les Voltigeurs enamel badge. With six years in the interim, the cadets may have taken the chrome badge into wear, or it may have been prior to the gun metal one I saw.
I've had mine for several years - my records say I bought it in 2005. Who knows when it was made - it could even be a patrol blues badge from the 1920s or 30s, I suppose.

EDIT: Looking at the linked article, that shows the chrome badge I have, so it's a post 1975 cadet issue.