British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-01-09, 12:11 PM

Hi Paul

Good to be here, and thank you for directing me to the Forum – I’ve already learnt quite a bit and it’s good that the members here seem just as helpful and friendly as those on the Great War one. Yes it would be really helpful to see pictures of other verifiably authentic First World War Leicestershire cap badges from members’ collections, as well as any scans of actual badges taken from period photographs? The more examples I can see the better idea I will have of what is a genuine original Great War badge and what isn’t. Certainly Jeanpit’s example is just the ticket! So here’s hoping to see more over the coming weeks.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 25-02-09 at 05:54 PM.
Old 20-01-09, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Martin,

I don't think that yours is WW1 vintage either. Balance of probability is that it is WW2. Most WW1 era badges have much darker toning as in JPs examples and the absence of brasing holes would make me think WW2 but no one can say for sure.

Alan
Old 20-01-09, 06:55 PM

I think my own feeling is in line with yours Alan, in that the badge is more likely to be a Second World War one than one from the Great War. I have been looking at a copy of Matthew Richardson’s Fighting Tigers (2002), and there is a photograph of L/Cpl Ronald Webster at the bottom of page 131 where he does seem to be wearing a very similar badge to the one above:

This would put this style in the late 1930s early 1940s, as L/Cpl Webster was apparently at Dunkrirk, though it doesn’t give a date for the photo. Another fairly clear picture is on page 73 of Second Lieutenant J. C. Burdett, and whilst I take it this is the bronze version, it’s design does look to be a stockier tiger than the one on L/Cpl Webster’s photograph – or am I simply imagining it!

I realise none of this is conclusive, but it is at least a little suggestive?

Regards

Martin

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 20-06-09 at 01:33 PM.
Old 20-01-09, 07:37 PM

I cant see Martin's latest posts for some reason, but with regard to the appearance of the tigers, I would hesitate to assign any significance to them other than makers variations.
The most reliable indications of age would more likely be braze holes or slider shape and possibly patina.

CB
Old 22-01-09, 08:46 AM

Martin,

Here are three that I have. One with sweat holes, the other two of difference construction. Of the two that have no sweat holes I purcahed one in 1964 from a gentlemen who collected badges from units during WW2. Unfortunately, I don't know which one it is.

As you can see it is a minefield but remember there are maker's variations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leiscestershire front1.jpg (51.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Leicestershire Rear1.jpg (48.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Leiscesture f2.jpg (56.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Leiscester b2.jpg (53.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Leiscesture f3.jpg (56.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Leiscester r3.jpg (60.4 KB, 71 views)
Old 22-01-09, 09:10 PM

Thanks Chris for the range of examples. One on eBay that might be worth a punt. Had a bit of a polish perhaps, and rather yellowish, but similar to JP's badge. Would have liked to see if it has a central braze hole. Cheers, Paul http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORIGINAL-WW1-L...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by wardog; 22-01-09 at 09:24 PM.
Old 22-01-09, 09:20 PM

Many thanks to Paul, Jeanpit and Chris for the latest replies to my posting.

Yes you’re right Paul I am learning what a minefield badge collecting can be (military pun excused!). I think I do need to do more reading on the subject too, as well as searching the Forum. I did see something about the shapes of the braze/sweat holes having some significance so perhaps that’s one thing I could look into more.

I have actually been looking for another examples Jeanpit, and the gentleman whom I bought the first badge from has now kindly got hold of this one for me:

As this one does have the braze/sweat holes on the back I’m much more confident it’s an earlier badge, but it’s still not as stocky as the one in your collection. The style is fairly simple, and the tiger’s face doesn’t look as realistic as it is in my first example, so fingers crossed I’ve got one from the Great War this time?

Now we also have more examples, courtesy of Chris, it’s all helping me to build up a better picture of the different variations and styles that are around. Thanks again to you all.

Regards

Martin

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 20-06-09 at 01:45 PM.
Old 22-01-09, 09:24 PM

Well I'm blowed! I've just seen the latest post you've put up Paul whilst I was busy doing mine, and I can't believe it - surely this is just the same as Jeanpit's example? I'll have to give it a go, so wish me luck!

Regards

Martin

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 25-02-09 at 05:52 PM.
Old 22-01-09, 09:34 PM

Is looks very similar. It does look a bit yellowish, but you can't say thats not the picture. Your new possibility looks good, but rather a short slider, and different shaped braze holes! Are you pulling your hair out yet?!

Last edited by wardog; 16-04-14 at 04:41 PM.
Old 22-01-09, 10:16 PM

Must say i've got a bit into this and am keen for you to get one that either two of three of us give a thumbs up on as having a good chance of being WWI, or one that you feel able to say you are happy with. The most easy to fake braze holes would be just round drilled holes. I like the look of the badge you have been offered, but It is a short slider. Sliders and lugs are the parts most ofter missing or dammaged on a badge. They can be replaced but you would hope to get the badge cheeper than a fully original badge. I could not state that this is a replaced slider. I would try to avoid a badge with yellowish brass, but apart from that, the ebay one also fits the bill. Sorry this all sound very indicisive, over what is a common badge but I sense it is very important for you to feel the badge was a part of the Great War. Cheers, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 16-04-14 at 04:42 PM.
Old 23-01-09, 05:46 PM

Hi Paul

I haven’t got to the hair pulling stage yet, but I am quite exhausted trying to figure it all out! It’s good that everyone is so ready to help by offering advice, and posting up examples of badges that are possibly from the right period. Like you say I’d really be happy if I could get one that I feel is from the right date, like Jeanpit’s seems to be. I rather rashly snapped up this all-brass example the other day for the bargain price of £3.42, well I hope it was a bargain?

Mind, I think it is specifically for the 4th and 5th Territorial Battalions (and possibly 6th depending on which book you read)? It looks pretty genuine to me, comparing it with other examples I’ve seen for sale, mainly going by the slider, etc., but as I’m still so new to all of this I can’t be sure. After reading your last posting I hope it’s not too yellow! As ever all comments gratefully received.

Regards

Martin

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 20-06-09 at 01:40 PM.
Old 24-01-09, 01:31 AM

Hello Martin. Your badge is also an economy version having no white metal parts. I have never collected them as they are more scarce and so usualy more expensive. So I think I will have to step back and let you wait for more opinions. There may be opinions on the slider. Cheers, Paul.
I have read on the forum that TF battalions started to be issued regular badges after some point in 1917.
Old 24-01-09, 12:14 PM

Thanks for your posting Paul - so maybe I should be a bit suspect of it being an original because it was fairly cheap? I don't know if it's relevant but this design does appear on page 179 of Reginald Cox's Military Badges of the British Empire 1914-18:

Having said that reading the text on the following page this particular example seems to be a bi-metal one, but Cox does confirm that there was an all-brass economy version as well. Perhaps someone out there as an authentic badge to compare this one with?

Regards

Martin

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 02-04-10 at 08:25 PM.
Old 24-01-09, 03:54 PM

Very good general referance, Cox's book, but perhaps one or two of the rare badges are not correct and others have pointed out various points they feel are not right on the forum.

Last edited by wardog; 24-01-09 at 04:04 PM.
Old 24-01-09, 04:45 PM

Similar badge, incorrectly described.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW1-THE-LEICES...QQcmdZViewItem We try to avoid making remarks about individual sellers on eBay, usual just stating if one would want to buy a certain badge in question or not. This seller has had a number of badges in the past that members have stated they would not want to buy. Trouble is, there is always the chance any seller may happen to have a badge that everyone wants!

Tags
great war, leicestershire regiment