British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-08-11, 06:52 PM

Default Are these collars Yorkie or Lancs ?????.

I bought these collars about three months ago from very well known dealer,
they were described as Yorkshire Volunteers? Officers Dress Collar Badges.
On checking with the collar book by Colin Churchill I could not find them at all let alone with the Yorkshire volunteers. I could have returned them for a refund but my gut feeling was that the dealer was right with his identification I must confess though I did get rather worried when around two
weeks ago I saw another identicle pair up for sale with another dealer for a very similar amount of money this time the id was given as The East Lancashire Regiment and the Churchill ref 862. On checking my copy there it was and it was as stated in the ad.
Obviously I got onto the guy I bought my collars from and he got back to me with the theory that Colin Churchill had made a mistake with this item,and I personally think he is right because how many times have the members of this forum seen a Lancashire Regiment with white Rose capbadge/collars, again he made the offer that if I was not happy then I should return them for a full refund.
I will not be sending back the collars at this stage as I still think his origional id was correct.
I would appreciate any input from forum members. Cheers Andy.

Last edited by yorkie; 29-01-15 at 11:08 AM.
Old 21-08-11, 07:17 PM

Deleted as I somehow managed to duplicate my posting.

Last edited by johnG; 21-08-11 at 07:26 PM.
Old 21-08-11, 07:25 PM

I am in favour of them being Yorkshire as they look to me to be a Tudor Rose, that is with centre seeds, then an 'inner' ring, then what I choose to call the 'magpie' ring, and the design shown is 'barbed' at that point - indicating a separate rose - a white one, superimposed on another (red) one. Then we proceed to the 'outer' of the Tudor rose, which if coloured would be red between the magpie and the outer ring.

A Lancashire Rose would have the 'inner' and the 'outer' rings but no 'magpie' and if coloured be entirely red.

Well, that's how I figure it after looking at it from an heraldic point of view, but am prepared to be shown to be quite wrong.

Regards,

JohnG
Old 21-08-11, 07:34 PM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie View Post
I bought these collars about three months ago from very well known dealer,
they were described as Yorkshire Volunteers? Officers Dress Collar Badges.
On checking with the collar book by Colin Churchill I could not find them at all let alone with the Yorkshire volunteers. I could have returned them for a refund but my gut feeling was that the dealer was right with his identification I must confess though I did get rather worried when around two
weeks ago I saw another identicle pair up for sale with another dealer for a very similar amount of money this time the id was given as The East Lancashire Regiment and the Churchill ref 862. On checking my copy there it was and it was as stated in the ad.
Obviously I got onto the guy I bought my collars from and he got back to me with the theory that Colin Churchill had made a mistake with this item,and I personally think he is right because how many times have the members of this forum seen a Lancashire Regiment with white Rose capbadge/collars, again he made the offer that if I was not happy then I should return them for a full refund.
I will not be sending back the collars at this stage as I still think his origional id was correct.
I would appreciate any input from forum members. Cheers Andy.
Hi andy not Yorkshire volunteers at all i think red cross or some thing on the line

peter
Old 21-08-11, 08:59 PM

Default East Lancashire Regiment

For comparison here is a pair of East Lancashire Regiment Officer's collar badges in silver plate and a Yorkshire Volunteers officer's cap badge in enamels:

Tim

Tags
collars, volunteers, white rose, yorkshire