British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-01-23, 03:35 PM

Default RHODESIAN SAS ITEMS – AUTHENTICATION NEEDED.

Can any forum members gave me any indication as to whether this SAS Stable Belt Buckle and cloth Beret Badge are Rhodesian and date from pre 1980?
On recent visits to Peter’s rhodesianmilitaria.com web site I have been unable to see images of any items so I haven’t been able to authenticate them from that angle. The belt buckle has no manufacturer’s stamp so could be a 1st issue Reutler example but then again it may be a Australian or NZ SAS example as I’m not sure if they were issued unmarked items. I’ve never seen a cloth beret badge with this style of backing but I have a note from Peter’s site many years ago that there was a variant SAS Para Wing manufactured in 1979 with a white gauze type backing – whether this extended to beret badges and was of a soft loose weave gauze as my example I don’t know.
Thanking you in anticipation for any help with this.
Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20221226_121546.jpg (40.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20221226_121611.jpg (39.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20221226_121358.jpg (52.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20221226_121416.jpg (60.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 22-01-23, 06:43 PM

Were the Rhodesian SAS cap badge and stable belt different to British SAS ones? or even NZ SAS come to that? I've no idea
Old 22-01-23, 10:31 PM

Yes.
Old 22-01-23, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Katyn View Post
Can any forum members gave me any indication as to whether this SAS Stable Belt Buckle and cloth Beret Badge are Rhodesian and date from pre 1980?
On recent visits to Peter’s rhodesianmilitaria.com web site I have been unable to see images of any items so I haven’t been able to authenticate them from that angle. The belt buckle has no manufacturer’s stamp so could be a 1st issue Reutler example but then again it may be a Australian or NZ SAS example as I’m not sure if they were issued unmarked items. I’ve never seen a cloth beret badge with this style of backing but I have a note from Peter’s site many years ago that there was a variant SAS Para Wing manufactured in 1979 with a white gauze type backing – whether this extended to beret badges and was of a soft loose weave gauze as my example I don’t know.
Thanking you in anticipation for any help with this.
Dean
I've sent the beret photos to him and see what he says. He's not a fan of the forum so he might not reply. It depends on his mood.
I can let you know the buckle is Rhodesian SAS and there were two stable belt issues both with the same buckles. Peter is writing a book so he's not interested in posting photos anymore.
His site is no longer his. He stopped using the site but never kept the domain name and someone else grabbed an old version of it. That's why they haven't got his photos.
I'm helping him with some parts of his book so I have access to some photos. It looks like the material on the back of the SAS badge and the SAS para wing looks similar but I'm not an expert. I can ask him and see what he says.
Old 23-01-23, 04:56 AM

Dean, he says the SAS badge is Rhodesian and pre-1980.
Old 23-01-23, 03:46 PM

Many thanks Akiko for all your efforts and the update re Peter's site. It is good to know that the badge at least is the genuine article. Would I be pushing my luck to try and get more information on the Buckle?
Old 23-01-23, 11:11 PM

It's a standard Rhodesian SAS buckle. It was used on the first and second issue stable belts. Peter had both types in his collection.
If you send me a DM I'll give you an email address for him because obviously, he can give you more information.
Old 24-01-23, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiko View Post
Yes.
Thanks, what are the differences?
Old 24-01-23, 12:42 PM

I don't know. I only know there are differences because I'm helping with the book. You'd have to ask someone like Peter or possibly someone on this forum who knows.
Old 24-01-23, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiko View Post
It's a standard Rhodesian SAS buckle. It was used on the first and second issue stable belts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
Thanks, what are the differences?
From various sites :

1st issue unmarked

2nd issued marked 'Reuteler Mfg, Salisbury’

Poppy and British Legion Wanted