British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-08-08, 03:52 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Talking Royal Warwicks HG Swallow Cars & Morris Motors

Someone on the Forum mentioned that these badges have been copied to death.
Both of these were bought by me in good faith that they were genuine. i.e. the price. I also believe they are. However, I am prepared (sort of) to be shot down in flames over this.
a) They are both maker marked and this (to me) appears to be a genuine mark.
b) The fixings, scroll, hart etc all seem to me to be ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RWarwicks_HG_SwallowCars.jpg (92.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg RWarwicks_HG_SwallowCarsMaker.jpg (32.1 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg RWarwicks_HG_MorrisMinor.jpg (92.7 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg RWarwicks_HG_MorrisMinorMaker.jpg (24.5 KB, 100 views)
Old 15-08-08, 08:37 PM

Well, not knowing these badges, they look ok to me. I think the MM one looks best to my eye. Has the best looking slider and patina, but if this is indeed a good badge, I would presume the Swallow one is as well. I suppose a skilled faker could add these letters to a standard Warwicks badge?

CB
Old 16-08-08, 07:44 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Well, not knowing these badges, they look ok to me. I think the MM one looks best to my eye. Has the best looking slider and patina, but if this is indeed a good badge, I would presume the Swallow one is as well. I suppose a skilled faker could add these letters to a standard Warwicks badge?

CB
cbuehler, Those were my thoughts when I first saw them , even the Hart/Antelope(?) look good for a R.Warwicks badge. The fixing of the letters at back of the badge are very nicely brazed onto the edge of the badge scroll and not "tagged" in the way they are on a lot of fakes/restrikes.
Everything about the badges except for the missing letter - now theres a thought...... must find my set of punches..
thanks for your opinion
Old 08-09-08, 09:29 PM

Hi there;
For all the reasons stated above I like these. They have everything that several of the later restrike HG badges lack with patina and attention to detail that originals should have. I don't have examples of these in my own collection, as mine is heavily paperwork based, but I like these. I have a nice original example of the Vickers Armstrong badge and I'd have happily spent money on these too if I'd seen them!
Nice badges
Old 09-09-08, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAChD View Post
Hi there;
For all the reasons stated above I like these. They have everything that several of the later restrike HG badges lack with patina and attention to detail that originals should have. I don't have examples of these in my own collection, as mine is heavily paperwork based, but I like these. I have a nice original example of the Vickers Armstrong badge and I'd have happily spent money on these too if I'd seen them!
Nice badges
Thanks for your comments. I thought (and still think) that they are ok as well. Unfortunately, there seems to be a big problem (from other forum members) about this particular makers mark being a fake. I know from the original source of the badge that a box of these were found (from the war days) in their old offices/workshop/premises etc. I also used to own a Vickers HG badge (I sold it back in 92/93 via a W&W auction) as well - wish I hadn't, but there you go - maybe you got mine?
So, at the moment they in the "suspects box" until the guy that it originally came from can provide me with providence, OR, the makers mark is accepted as being genuine - a more detailed scan of the mark is in the Forums "Makers marks" listing. I haven't seen a Vickers HG badge for yonks - if you see one, pls let me know - mine was a cast, flat back, 2 lugged version.
Good hunting. david
Old 09-09-08, 10:33 AM

David;

Mine came from Bosleys if I remember correctly, I don't think it was WandW. Its the same as you describe though and I am very happy with it. Exactly as per the 1 pictured in In the Space of a Single Day.

Some of the Home Guard units associated with Vickers are as follows:-

KT18 - 163 LAA [Light Anti Aircraft battery] Troop A protecting VA [Vickers Armstrong] Dartford.

COL24 - 164 Light AA Battery Troop A VA Crayford

DOR5 - 387 LAA Troop B Wyke Regis

EL1 - 437 LAA Troop A Barrow in Furness

EL7 - 438 LAA Troop A Blackpool

FT5 456 LAA Troop A Hawarden

WAR 52 - 471 LAA A + B Troops Castle Bromwich - this will interest you the most David, since they were also in Warwickshire.

H11 - 604 LAA Troop Vickers/Saunders Roe Factory Eastleigh

[There is a small number [less than 20 were made] of brass VA badge reproductions but they have rounded edges and what looks like a slightly oversize pair of lugs. They were made for a re-enacting group and no more are likely to be produced.]

Last edited by RAChD; 09-09-08 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-09-08, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAChD View Post
Mine came from Bosleys if I remember correctly, I don't think it was WandW. Its the same as you describe though and I am very happy with it. Exactly as per the 1 pictured in In the Space of a Single Day.

[There is a small number [less than 20 were made] of brass reproductions but they have rounded edges and what looks like a slightly oversize pair of lugs. They were made for a re-enacting group and no more are likely to be produced.]
RAChD,
I was also aware of the repro's, but I never thought that these were
anything like the ones I have. However, regardless of how I (or you) feel
about them, it remains an open point on the forum that the font size
of the makers mark on these 2 badges are definitely wrong for this badge,
so therefore they must be fakes. I would need a confirmed (?) badge
of impeccable pedrigree witht the same mark and font before they are
accepted as being genuine. So far, no others with this type of mark has turned turned up - which is also odd in itself - if these are copies.....
Old 09-09-08, 09:30 PM

Very true, if theere was someone who knocked out a few of these as fakes I'm suprised I haven't seen one myself. As I said I am interested in all aspects of the Home Guard and am in 2 re-enacting groups. I know many HG re-enactor / collectors and we're all a pretty keen bunch. I'd expect that if one of them had turned one up it would be high on the adgenda for talking about at shows and events I've never heard mention of one at all.
Looks like another "wait and see" project.
I've got an idea of someone to ask who's collected £1000s and £1000s of Home Guard stuff about this subject next time I give him a ring!
ttfn
Matt
Old 10-09-08, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

For what it is worth I have not seen the 'SS' badge elsewhere but I have seen 5 or 6 of the 'MM' ones on ebay in the last 2-3 years. I have also seen that mark (and it is different to the mark used on the company on their 1950-60 a/a badges), used on fakes sold at Charing cross market before.

Alan
Old 13-05-09, 10:30 PM
Administrator

just had this one pointed out to us - may be of interest.

RARE W.W. II ROYAL WARWICKSHIRE CAP BADGE
Old 14-05-09, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
just had this one pointed out to us - may be of interest.

RARE W.W. II ROYAL WARWICKSHIRE CAP BADGE
Mike,
Thanks. The only 'obvious' difference apart from the patina etc
is the very heavy apostrophe in B'HAM - which is not accounted for
by the rest of the strike.
Will have a more detailed look at mine and this one. I might even put a
low bid on it and look at them side my side.
david
Old 15-05-09, 04:48 PM

Default hg badges

you seem to be missing the point .they are usually perfectly genuine warwickshire badges (with the number about and the small amount they cost, it would silly to use repro badges)
the letters are from small s/ts usually RASC and silver soldered on, you can see where the fixing has been on the s/t.
if you come up with the argument that they were done like that in ww2 they weren't.they would have been brazed.
in fact i have not seen any evidence that they ( ss mm )ever existed.
if anyone has any pics please post them.
i could make you one with a 'C' a rare cannings ltd. hg or with 'B' ultra rare bournville hg.in a couple of minutes.
this could turn into quite a profitable business!
Old 15-05-09, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

I fully agree with all of the above except the bit about faking Rwarks badges as they have been faked and I regard these MFG Grove ones as examples of this.
Old 15-05-09, 05:53 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc View Post
you seem to be missing the point .they are usually perfectly genuine warwickshire badges (with the number about and the small amount they cost, it would silly to use repro badges)
the letters are from small s/ts usually RASC and silver soldered on, you can see where the fixing has been on the s/t.
if you come up with the argument that they were done like that in ww2 they weren't.they would have been brazed.
in fact i have not seen any evidence that they ( ss mm )ever existed.
if anyone has any pics please post them.
i could make you one with a 'C' a rare cannings ltd. hg or with 'B' ultra rare bournville hg.in a couple of minutes.
this could turn into quite a profitable business!
That clearly puts them both into the fakes bin then.
Many thanks for the info. I will be contacting the person I got them off
for a refund.

Tags
home guard, morris motors, swallow cars