British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-02-15, 11:16 PM

Hello Frank, Mine is silver and the curve is fairly shallow. If placed on a CD stack storage container it fits perfectly. The back has no obvious fixing points. it's quite smooth except for the iregular marks. Which leads me to the suggestion Brian made earlier about it being fitted to a mace or someting similar. Cheers Tony.
PS
Although the front is silver the back has a brass looking patina with the silver showing through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07434 STACKER.jpg (15.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Tony B; 26-02-15 at 11:33 PM.
Old 27-02-15, 07:58 AM

Hello Tony,
I tend to agree, it certainly is convex and clearly it is cast, but, if there is brass "showing through" it will not be made of silver, given all of that, I don't think it was made as a slouch hat badge, how tall is it?
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Hello Frank, Mine is silver and the curve is fairly shallow. If placed on a CD stack storage container it fits perfectly. The back has no obvious fixing points. it's quite smooth except for the iregular marks. Which leads me to the suggestion Brian made earlier about it being fitted to a mace or someting similar. Cheers Tony.
PS
Although the front is silver the back has a brass looking patina with the silver showing through.
Old 27-02-15, 08:23 AM

Hi Frank. it's 45mm deep x 38mm wide. On the back it seems to be the brass colour (film) on the surface with the silver showing through. I know this because I was curious and used a scourer on a small section. Man, this a mystery I hope we can solve.
All the best,
Tony

Last edited by Tony B; 27-02-15 at 08:43 AM.