British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-07-08, 05:21 PM

Yes indeed a very nice and good Officers OSD cord boss worn c. 1922 - 1948.

John
Old 18-01-10, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocks_benefit View Post
I have attached a couple of pics of the 'Airborne' pattern badge
Can someone confirm that this pattern is an unofficial NCO/officers badge and made in silver only?
Old 18-01-10, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Can someone confirm that this pattern is an unofficial NCO/officers badge and made in silver only?
Luc

I believe that the above is the case, there is no trace (that I know of) of sealing of this pattern in WO359 or the LSs. Hence the reason for thinking it to be unofficial. Supporting this is the information in WO32/12077 where only the cord boss is noted as the current officers cap badge that the regiment was requesting to replace.

The only photographic evidence that I have seen is on Officers and Senior NCO's of the 1 (Airlanding Battalion) R.U.R. noteably in Brian Davis' book page 23.

As for silver only - I have no evidence to support or contradict that, only circumstantial (that being that the reputable auction houses only seem to offer the silver version for sale).

John
Old 19-01-10, 09:48 PM

Default Unofficial RUR 1st Bn cap badge

Hello John,

I have been lucky to get an unofficial RUR silver officer cap which came along with other stuff from a former RUR Lieutenant who I think served in the 1st Bn the RUR during the WW 2.
Do you know which badge were used during WWII by 2nd Bn RUR (3rd Infantry Division) on the SD cap, forage cap and beret? Do you think they wore the Boss badge in any case?
Do you know if WO of the 1st Bn wore the unofficial silver cap badge like the officers or a silver plated cap badge or made of white metal? J-F
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0002_1005.jpg (39.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0005_1008.jpg (30.8 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by rubicon; 19-01-10 at 09:53 PM.
Old 20-01-10, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Hello John,

I have been lucky to get an unofficial RUR silver officer cap which came along with other stuff from a former RUR Lieutenant who I think served in the 1st Bn the RUR during the WW 2.
Do you know which badge were used during WWII by 2nd Bn RUR (3rd Infantry Division) on the SD cap, forage cap and beret? Do you think they wore the Boss badge in any case?
Do you know if WO of the 1st Bn wore the unofficial silver cap badge like the officers or a silver plated cap badge or made of white metal? J-F

The 2nd Battalion other ranks wore the 1913 white metal pattern in all forms of headdress (less full dress of course which had been withdrawn). This includes the FSC. The plastic version was available from Jan '44 in theory, I do not know if it was tolerated in the regiment.

Officers had available to them the cord boss, this was worn on the SD Cap and forage cap. Photos of Lt Col I.C. Harris O/C 2nd Battalion show him wearing the cord boss in the reifle-green F.S.C. (Osprey Elite Series # 147, Irish Regiments in the World Wars p63). With regard GS Cap (beret) I have not seen any references or images to be certain but I speculate it was an O/R 1913 pattern. The regiment began to petition for a silver plated version of the 1913 pattern in 1946 to replace then cord boss. The series of correspondance in this file WO32/12077 makes no mention of this badge in wear (unoffically) prior to this. Both types shown below.

WOs did wear the unofficial "airborne" badge, see Davis B.L., British Army Uniforms & Insignia of WW2, page 23 has a terrific photo of CSM J. Kiely wearing this badge in March 1944 on the occasion of his receipt of the MM.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rur officers cord boss front.jpg (56.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg rir short scroll front.jpg (73.7 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 20-01-10 at 03:00 AM. Reason: added content on the wearing of the cord boss by officers in the FSC.
Old 20-01-10, 02:39 AM

hi all
just been reading the thread and finding it most interesting.
i thought i had one of these in a box somewhere and here it is.
interested to hear your thoughts. not my area of collecting but bought it as it was an attractive silver military badge
i always thought it may have been a collar? 38mm high x 45mm wide
what are we saying there worth?
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8331.JPG (83.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8332.JPG (77.3 KB, 116 views)
Old 20-01-10, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
hi all
just been reading the thread and finding it most interesting.
i thought i had one of these in a box somewhere and here it is.
interested to hear your thoughts. not my area of collecting but bought it as it was an attractive silver military badge
i always thought it may have been a collar? 38mm high x 45mm wide
what are we saying there worth?
bc
It looks good to me, from memory they tend to raise in the 200 - 300 GBP area at auction (I have not tracked the costs but it seems to me as if this range is right). There was one in the Bosley's July 08 postal auction if you wish to track down the prices realised.

They seem to make less on e-bay, one recently (with a LIR Officers KC Badge , silver ring, cloth shoulder titles, buttons and rank markings) made 255 GBP.

John
Old 20-01-10, 03:41 AM

Scroll down mid page to see an image of it in wear by a Major.

http://www.wospweb.com/site/RAF-Broa...raph-Album.htm
Old 20-01-10, 06:52 AM

Thank John
that's great. I better take it out of my "to be sorted" box and do something with it.
It's hard to see in pic but it is shaped (curved) Nicely to wear on the hat. I have greater appreciation for it now.
BC
Old 20-01-10, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
one recently (with a LIR Officers KC Badge , silver ring, cloth shoulder titles, buttons and rank markings) made 255 GBP.

John
I think that is the one J-F is referring to.

So to be "safe" it would be best for me to get a silver one then, I'd better start saving some cash.
Old 20-01-10, 06:53 PM

Thanks you John to share your information with us. They are of value for many of the readers of this post! The Royal Ulster Rifles was used to wear the plastic cap badge in Normandy during summer 1944. I have got this one along with the cloth printed title from an old woman who collected them and other cap badges and titles in June and July 1944 from British soldiers who stayed in her village which was located at the north of Caen.
In addition a friend of me has dug out these remains of RUR plastic cap badge from a field on Sword sector. I think they were all worn by the 2nd Bn The Royal Ulster Rifles.

Luc you are right, I am the buyer of the 1st Bn RUR Lieutenant group sold on ebay 10 days ago and I am very glad to have got this lot as I have dreamed for long time to get this officer cap badge to complet my 6th Airborne collection... Now I have still to find out the Worcestershire Yeomanry officer cap bagde. J-F
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Groupe 2nd RUR Epron.jpg (37.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (98.2 KB, 108 views)
Old 20-01-10, 07:02 PM

Nice, you did very well J-F!

Do you mean the Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars? WY is how they were named from 1947.

I'm not aware of an officers cap badge, only this one. Or did they too have an unofficial badge?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Afbeelding 039.jpg (98.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 20-01-10, 07:58 PM

Not unofficial, the Officers pattern was Cloth as found on most Officers berets now.
Old 20-01-10, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Nice, you did very well J-F!

Do you mean the Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars? WY is how they were named from 1947.

I'm not aware of an officers cap badge, only this one. Or did they too have an unofficial badge?
Thank you Luc,

According to Lieut-Col Jolsen "Orders of battle second world war" official designation was 53rd (Worcestershire Yeomanry) Airlanding Light Regiment RA. Officers of the regiment wore a bullion cap badge on the beret, OR wore the standard RA cap badge. If someone in the forum has one of these officer cap badges in his collection, I would be glad to see it.
J-F
Old 21-01-10, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Thanks you John to share your information with us.

I have dreamed for long time to get this officer cap badge to complet my 6th Airborne collection... J-F
You are very welcome J-F and you have repaid it well with the information on the wearing of the plastic badge.

The 6th Airborne Division is a wonderful topic for a collection, I happened to be in Lisieux on a business trip last November and managed to make a half day available to visit your "neck of the woods" taking in Orne & Benouville Bridges, Merville Battery and Arromanches. What fantastic history it is.

John

Tags
airborne, royal ulster rifles, rur