British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22-01-16, 07:29 PM
Jelly Terror's Avatar
Jelly Terror Jelly Terror is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,091
Default Battle Patch - RF Battalion ID, Please

Is anyone able to ID which RF battalion this fusilier is from by way of a bit of battle patch recognition, please?:

JT RF 52a.jpgJT RF 52c.jpgJT RF 52d.jpg

With thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22-01-16, 08:11 PM
Graham Stewart's Avatar
Graham Stewart Graham Stewart is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Darlington
Posts: 1,001
Default

Could be 10th or 13th Royal Fusiliers, 37th Div - who originally had a horse shoe-patch with points down, but the GOC ordered the patch with points up as of November 1916 and then later had them moved to the upper arm.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22-01-16, 08:11 PM
Sonofacqms's Avatar
Sonofacqms Sonofacqms is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,765
Cool Div Patch

10th or 13th Royal Fusiliers serving in 37th Div.

Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 22-01-16 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22-01-16, 08:25 PM
REMEVMBEA1 REMEVMBEA1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stoke on Trent
Posts: 944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
10th or 13th Royal Fusiliers serving in 37th Div.

Rob
Could the bar under the horseshoe be a seniority bar and this Bn was senior in the brigade/Division?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22-01-16, 08:31 PM
Graham Stewart's Avatar
Graham Stewart Graham Stewart is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Darlington
Posts: 1,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
Could the bar under the horseshoe be a seniority bar and this Bn was senior in the brigade/Division?
More than likely as both were senior battalions in their inidividual Brigades - 10th Bn, were 111th Bde and 13th were 112th Bde, but I'm afraid I don't know the colouring.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22-01-16, 09:13 PM
Jelly Terror's Avatar
Jelly Terror Jelly Terror is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,091
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
Could be 10th or 13th Royal Fusiliers, 37th Div - who originally had a horse shoe-patch with points down, but the GOC ordered the patch with points up as of November 1916 and then later had them moved to the upper arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
10th or 13th Royal Fusiliers serving in 37th Div.

Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
Could the bar under the horseshoe be a seniority bar and this Bn was senior in the brigade/Division?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
More than likely as both were senior battalions in their inidividual Brigades - 10th Bn, were 111th Bde and 13th were 112th Bde, but I'm afraid I don't know the colouring.
Cosmic!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22-01-16, 09:39 PM
Sonofacqms's Avatar
Sonofacqms Sonofacqms is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,765
Question Coloured patches

This has always been the problem with black and white photos, coloured patches can often only be given an aducated guess due to the lack of colour.

Rob
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22-01-16, 09:55 PM
davidwyke's Avatar
davidwyke davidwyke is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 1,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
This has always been the problem with black and white photos, coloured patches can often only be given an aducated guess due to the lack of colour.

Rob
And it's surprising how deceptive colour tones and contrasts can be in B&W photos. If you take a medal ribbon for example and look at the same ribbon being worn in a B&W photo, depending on the colour, there is often no resemblance to the real thing.

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 22-01-16 at 10:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-04-16, 07:28 PM
talos talos is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 45
Default BATTLE PATCH RF

Hi
Looks like 13 Bn, as 10 Bn wore a circle
Regards
Talos
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battle patch, royal fusiliers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:05 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.